Returning a Used Cars within 7 day.

GforceD

Executive Member
Hi guys I bought a car over the weekend but it turns out there is a problem with the transmission.
I know they'll probably offer to fix it and all, but I've lost faith in this car and just foresee me dealing with issue after issue with this car.

So what the deal with the 7 day return? Are the going to try charge me some return fee or something?

Update:Well took my car back yesterday, he took it in to his workshop a few min later he comes back says I am correct about the problem and will "uplift" the purchase. He paid to fill up my tank on my other car since I had to bring 2 cars so I could get home. (round trip of 500km) So not the stress I was worried it would be, but he seemed a decent guy. I think other people would be more problematic.

Last edited:

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Yes you have 7 days to return and get your money back. They might want to charge you something, just to make money . Legally they can't charge you anything.

If the car was financed, get the finance company involved if the car dealer gives you hassles.

Beachless

Executive Member
Yes you have 7 days to return and get your money back. They might want to charge you something, just to make money . Legally they can't charge you anything.

If the car was financed, get the finance company involved if the car dealer gives you hassles.
Under which law is that?

GforceD

Executive Member
Something to do with the CPA I assume.
I really need more info on this but Google doesn't give me much.
I'd like to hear from someone who's done this. So I am prepared when I deal with the guy and not get bullied in to paying some fee or the other.

c3n0byt3

Hi guys I bought a car over the weekend but it turns out there is a problem with the transmission.
I know they'll probably offer to fix it and all, but I've lost faith in this car and just foresee me dealing with issue after issue with this car.

So what the deal with the 7 day return? Are the going to try charge me some return fee or something?
What vehicle is this?

Slootvreter

Honorary Master

What makes you think the bank will get this done for you?

Venomous

Honorary Master

errrrr,,, ,,,,,,

they are allowed to charge fairly, for wear and tear....

If it is financed it could be more complicated as the OP would have entered into a legally binding contract with a finance house/bank.
Easier to get around if another car is financed...
But there could be intiation fees for the financing.

GforceD

Executive Member
errrrr,,, ,,,,,,

they are allowed to charge fairly, for wear and tear....

If it is financed it could be more complicated as the OP would have entered into a legally binding contract with a finance house/bank.
Easier to get around if another car is financed...
But there could be intiation fees for the financing.
Wear and tear over 3 days?

GforceD

Executive Member
How often do you deal or have you dealt with used car salesmen?
Yeah I know never trust a car salesman.
This is my second used car so twice and I was happy with the previous dealer.
New car dealers are worse because they try sell you everything else but the car.

ld13

Honorary Master
Something to do with the CPA I assume.
CPA yes. But the cooling off period is only applicable in certain instances where e.g. you did not sign the contract at their premises or if you they directly marketed to you (cold calling).

In this case it would probably rather fall under your right to return the vehicle. You have 6 months for this. They might charge you something in the end. Roadworthy fees/depreciation/admin blah blah...

GforceD

Executive Member
Well I'll find out. He said I could bring car back and they would reverse the transaction. Didn't so happy about it but didn't sound like he was going to be an asset about it either.

They probably won't refund the road worthy cert but they shouldn't charge for another after just 5days since I taking it back tomorrow. We'll I guess say tuned...
Also if anyone has any tips when I go back tomorrow let me know.

Lupus

Honorary Master
http://autoadvice.co.za/auto/consumer-protection-act

hope this helps

But to summarise:

There is no 7 day cooling off period, unless this was direct marketing.
You've got 6 months to return the vehicle, but the onus is on you to prove the unreliability of it and that it will not suit your needs. In this case the dealer is more then likely going to tell you they are going to repair the vehicle, you can attempt to fight it though. You will more then likely be responsible for the on road fees, the initiation fee and possibly a few other fees.

Last edited:

stroller

Expert Member
Buying a used car is like going to to a massage parlour.
You get a "HAPPY ENDING"

And then you get screwed.

In most cases, owners trade a car because it has given them grief.
OK some trades are an upgrade but nobody trades a car that they are happy with.
Look for the upgrade trader.

Last edited:

GforceD

Executive Member
Buying a used car is like going to to a massage parlour.
You get a "HAPPY ENDING"

And then you get screwed.

In most cases, owners trade a car because it has given them grief.
OK some trades are an upgrade but nobody trades a car that they are happy with.
Look for the upgrade trader.
The low mileage 2/3 yrs old cars seem to be the trade-in-for-an-upgrade car.

Well took my car back yesterday, he took it in to his workshop a few min later he comes back says I am correct about the problem and will "uplift" the purchase. He paid to fill up my tank on my other car since I had to bring 2 cars so I could get home. (round trip of 500km) So not the stress I was worried it would be, but he seemed a decent guy. I think other people would be more problematic.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I'd support a place like that again... not many honest guys out there.