REVEALED: How much staff in former minister Lynne Brown's private office earned

thechamp

Honorary Master
Cape Town - An employee with just a grade 9 qualification earned over R890 000 a year while working for former minister of public enterprise Lynne Brown in her private office. This was revealed in a written response to a parliamentary question posed by DA MP Gregory Krumbock to the former minister. Krumbock enquired about the amount budgeted and spent for her private office as well as the remuneration of staff, their job title and qualification.

The response, issued on Monday, also shows that a person with a matric qualification could earn close to R950 000 working as a senior parliamentary and cabinet support officer. There were four other staff member with senior certificates, but their salaries varied based on job title and salary level. For example, a senior parliamentary and cabinet support officer at salary level 12 earned just above R917 000. A receptionist at salary level 7 with a senior certificate earned just over R230 000.

A messenger or driver earning a salary at level 6 with a senior certificate earned R189 000, while someone with a grade 7 qualification also at salary level 6 earned over R216 000. Brown’s chief of staff earned over R1.21m, and had a B-Tech in Public Management. Her special adviser who had a diploma in project management earned R1.29m. Having a bachelor’s degree in administration saw one employee earn over R675 000 as a deputy director of administration. Someone with the same degree earned the same amount for work as an administrative secretary – both salaries were on level 11.

https://www.fin24.com/Economy/revealed-how-much-staff-in-former-minister-lynne-browns-private-office-earned-20180517

Emjay

Expert Member
Question is, do they add that value? Fin24 are really zeroing in on the qualifications thing. I am sure there are thousands of examples.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Question is, do they add that value? Fin24 are really zeroing in on the qualifications thing. I am sure there are thousands of examples.
I doubt anyone who could not be bothered to go past grade 9 can add any value that deserves those salaries.

thechamp

Honorary Master
FTFY.

These people are the reason why the country has tax increases.
That waiver though is where it all start, it simply overrides anything that is standing in the way of a minister or a mayor hiring an unqualified friend or family member. In know they will simply find another way but as a start the waiver must fall, it is giving credibility and legality to this whole thing.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I know of some people who had nothing more than a Matric when they started, and went on to do great things.

However.... I don't believe that someone who dropped out at grade 9 can go on to do great things.

And the ones who started with a matric, generally ended up studying professional certifications later in life, because they were ambitious and hungry. So, they probably ended up with qualifications that were between NQF levels 7 and 9.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I know of some people who had nothing more than a Matric when they started, and went on to do great things.

However.... I don't believe that someone who dropped out at grade 9 can go on to do great things.

And the ones who started with a matric, generally ended up studying professional certifications later in life, because they were ambitious and hungry. So, they probably ended up with qualifications that were between NQF levels 7 and 9.
Even that grade 9 person can go on to do great things, but it should not be at our expense.

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
That waiver though is where it all start, it simply overrides anything that is standing in the way of a minister or a mayor hiring an unqualified friend or family member.
No, the problem is with the salary.

Brown’s chief of staff earned over R1.21m, and had a B-Tech in Public Management. Her special adviser who had a diploma in project management earned R1.29m.
Those amounts are:
$96 375 USD and $101 747 USD

That is is more than the president of India, which sits at $88 560 USD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_of_Government_Officials_in_India

Knyro

Honorary Master
Even that grade 9 person can go on to do grade things, but it should not be at our expense.
+1

The qualification things are bit of nonsense IMO. If those people are doing jobs that warrant that kind of payment well who cares how far they studied.

However if they got those jobs/salaries by falsifying their CV/corruption then we have a problem

konfab

Honorary Master
+1

The qualification things are bit of nonsense IMO. If those people are doing jobs that warrant that kind of payment well who cares how far they studied.

However if they got those jobs/salaries by falsifying their CV/corruption then we have a problem
The office of government in charge of the SABC, SAA, Post office, Transnet, Eskom. Yeah, they are really deserving of salaries higher than world leaders.

Knyro

Honorary Master
The office of government in charge of the SABC, SAA, Post office, Transnet, Eskom. Yeah, they are really deserving of salaries higher than world leaders.
Odds are you make significantly more than your Indian counterparts as well.

Salaries for professional jobs in general in SA are skewed upwards considering how poor the country is.

Last edited:

R13...

Honorary Master
These private offices are scams for politicians to give free money to their friends, families and other cronies. Much like bodyguards a lot of them hire their buddies/former party marshalls and such and authorise ridiculous overtime pay.