- Mar 27, 2007
Acting minister in the presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni says the government will not make public the intelligence information it had in the lead up to last week's violent protesting and looting.
Ntshavheni was speaking at a media briefing on Thursday afternoon, and was addressing a demand by Amnesty International for the government to release the information it had before the unrest.
At the same briefing, Ntshavheni confirmed that the death toll as a result of the unrest was 337 — made up of 79 in Gauteng and 258 in KwaZulu-Natal.
Addressing journalists at the daily press conference on the unrest, Ntshavheni said Amnesty International was going beyond its scope.
She said the government had committed to release information such as the number of deaths and murders, and a full investigation would be conducted to ensure those responsible are held accountable.
“It's not in the best interest of the country to disclose the intelligence information that was in the disposal of the state. And Amnesty International must be satisfied with the fact that everybody who has died or every damage that has been caused will be accounted for, and those who have murdered people will be apprehended,” said Ntshavheni. She said those to be brought to book include those who planned the unrest and those who killed people during the unrest.