Revealing intel on riots is not in the country's interests: Ntshavheni

Grant

Honorary Master
Acting minister in the presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni says the government will not make public the intelligence information it had in the lead up to last week's violent protesting and looting.

Ntshavheni was speaking at a media briefing on Thursday afternoon, and was addressing a demand by Amnesty International for the government to release the information it had before the unrest.

At the same briefing, Ntshavheni confirmed that the death toll as a result of the unrest was 337 — made up of 79 in Gauteng and 258 in KwaZulu-Natal.

Addressing journalists at the daily press conference on the unrest, Ntshavheni said Amnesty International was going beyond its scope.

She said the government had committed to release information such as the number of deaths and murders, and a full investigation would be conducted to ensure those responsible are held accountable.

“It's not in the best interest of the country to disclose the intelligence information that was in the disposal of the state. And Amnesty International must be satisfied with the fact that everybody who has died or every damage that has been caused will be accounted for, and those who have murdered people will be apprehended,” said Ntshavheni. She said those to be brought to book include those who planned the unrest and those who killed people during the unrest.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Well, if there is an inquest into even one of the deaths, the intel will have to be revealed to a court.

Kawak

Depends on whether there is any Intel, if yes, revealing it will likely give away secrets of national security, if no, then there isn't much to reveal other than your uselessness.

Calling for any independent inquiry just means more money, time and man power wasted, how stuck we are as honest, tax paying citizens of this country.

Bewlen

Expert Member
Stepping back from the chaos of a week ago, and zooming out, it becomes clear that the entire state is wholly incapable. It's like handing a blue-chip company to 7-year olds, with the promise of no repercussions for any of the boo-boos. Just a pat on the head and the promise that "everyone-is-a-winner-yes-you-are-special"

I have so many questions to our ministers!
"How does it feel to be regarded as an idiot?"
"Has your mom kakked you out for being such an incompetent fool on live TV?"
"Do you feel any guilt for being paid millions and only f****ng it up?"
"Where do you come up with all the excuses, is there an app for that?"
"What happens when you forget to repeat breathe-in...breathe-out, how long does it take you to turn blue?"
"Does it get to you when your teenager looks at you and just shakes its head without any context?"

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Depends on whether there is any Intel, if yes, revealing it will likely give away secrets of national security, if no, then there isn't much to reveal other than your uselessness.

Calling for any independent inquiry just means more money, time and man power wasted, how stuck we are as honest, tax paying citizens of this country.

At this time, I would say that the intel is privy to the state security and the NPA, but one has to ask how much intel the state security is sharing with the NPA, also how much intel was shared between the police and the state security in cooperation during the riots, ultimately are there parties withholding intel and why?

Intel, however, can be selectively shared with human rights organisations in order to allow them to execute their mandate, as well as the media to give them something to chew on. This, however, was a media query and I can understand the discretion, but the discretion came with arrogance. It is expected that Amnesty International will prod.

How the state has responded since the beginning… the miscommunication is astonishing. Zapiro draw it nicely,

E6o_NmKXsAEF4Qb

zoozi

Yeah sure, because they're part of the problem themselves, Bathabile Dlamini "just release Zuma to stop the riots" etc.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Quite frankly I think the information is exactly what we think it is. Factional division within the ANC in which this supposedly "unified" party is actually split clean down the middle with those in control of governance undermining those in control of governance.

tl;dr version: Inside Luthuli House it is an absolute shitfestival war zone and they are just barely keeping it together by a tiny thread.

I didn't even mention NatJOINTS. Three divisions,

1) NatJOINTS,
2) State Security Agency, and
3) SAPS.

then to add the 4) SANDF, which was deployed under NatJOINTS command under SAPS supervision, or so I believe. Then the 5) NPA.

Factional division within the ANC, would mean it would also apply to the state, since the two are incapable to be separated. Now, you need to ask about the divisions within the above-mentioned state organs.

Moving past the NPA, we sit with a collective entity which should be separated... Judiciary, are they divisional?

What is clearly evident is that the ordinary citizen is being punished. I am not even talking about business and guests who are willing to invest in this country.