Review: LG P500 Optimus One

HawkiesZA

Good review. Ok specs (drifting towards the low end of things now...) but comparable to the Wildfire and it costs less. Nifty, but I'll stick with my Dream for now, thanks ;-D

[EDIT] FIRST! :p

stricken

Expert Member
pushing froyo on 600Mhz / 512Mb? Dunno about that. Never mind Gingerbread. But like you say.. @ R2500 it will def. make a good dev. phone.

Shayd

Expert Member
I am considering this one... just dipping my toe into droid at this point so don't wanna splash out on a monster quite yet. Mate of mine has the Galaxy S hope I am not disappointed.

HawkiesZA

pushing froyo on 600Mhz / 512Mb? Dunno about that. Never mind Gingerbread. But like you say.. @ R2500 it will def. make a good dev. phone.
I've got Froyo running smoothly on my HTC Dream, unofficially of course - that's with a 528MHz CPU (Yes, I do overclock to 595MHz) and 192MB RAM. Also consider the Motorola Milestone/Droid which has an official Froyo update and sports a 600MHz CPU (underclocked to 550MHz) and 256MB RAM and I'm fairly sure it can run Adobe Flash and Air as well. MHz isn't the only important thing ;)

Slyfox

This means that Firefox Mobile for Android [won't] work on the device as [it needs] processors that support ARMv7 instructions in addition to Android 2.2.
Well, hell.

Not entirely a false statement in the article, but not entirely true either.

Jan

Drifting in the black
Well, hell.

Not entirely a false statement in the article, but not entirely true either.
Conceded, but Firefox Mobile is still in heavy beta so unless I spend a paragraph explaining that things may change at some indeterminate point in the future the statement won't be accurate.

This is true of just about anything, though. Who says Adobe won't make ARMv6 versions of their stuff?

Here's the bottom line: I tried Firefox Mobile on the device and it didn't work.

And to defend myself a little bit, I did somewhat better than the guys out there reporting that Flash will work on the device just because it runs Android 2.2.

Wall

Sports Addict
Anyone Has this phone yet? what's it like? I am seriously considering getting this.

Shayd

Expert Member
Anyone Has this phone yet? what's it like? I am seriously considering getting this.
Had one for a while and loved it. Got myself a galaxy S and gave the phone to my Fiance. A mate of mine got the wildfire and all I can say is the Optimus kicks its arse all over the floor.

Wall

Sports Addict
Had one for a while and loved it. Got myself a galaxy S and gave the phone to my Fiance. A mate of mine got the wildfire and all I can say is the Optimus kicks its arse all over the floor.
cool, is there any major drawbacks or bugs on the phone?

Shayd

Expert Member
cool, is there any major drawbacks or bugs on the phone?
I had A couple of problems with ussd commands on the phone with the vodacom network.

Other than that it runs buttery smooth android 2.2.

Remember it's only a 600 mhz processor so 3d gaming is out but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I just had an opportunity to get the galaxy s for next to nothing so I jumped at it.

Sent from my Galaxy S running darky's rom sent to me by little green robots from the future.

Shayd

Expert Member
Another nice thing is that is comes with ndrive gps navigation for free. Something I had to shell out a couple of hundred bucks for on my galaxy s.

Sent from my Galaxy S running darky's rom sent to me by little green robots from the future.

Wall

Sports Addict
Wow awesome, Definitely looks like a great phone :)