Review: Samsung I9000 Galaxy S

benitok

Bad review, obviously done by an Iphone fan.

"..For instance, one of the new features of Android 2.2 “FroYo” is the ability to set up your phone as a wireless access point.."

This was available with Android 2.1 (standard feature on the Samung Galaxy S)

"..We weren't able to check our balances on Vodacom prepaid using *111# with the Samsung Galaxy S..."

I used the *111# all the time on my Samsung Galaxy S without any problems.

"..This slow loading occurred whether we were connected to 4 Mbps ADSL via Wi-Fi or the mobile broadband network.."

Nonsense it's fast.

"..Unfortunately you'll still have to pick at a software keyboard to type in any of South Africa's native languages, however.."

After a while it remembers your new words.

Last edited:

Tassidar

Expert Member
Android, the most overrated and second most useless phone OS i have ever used - the only worse is Windows Mobile (pre 7).

Honestly, despite all the hype, I don't think Android comes close in terms of ease of use and functionality to Symbian. My 6210 Navigator was a much more fully featured device than my HTC Legend, despite the fact that it wasn't even close to being top of the range then.

Until Android does some serious maturing, I would give it a major miss. I'm actually tempted to go back to my Nokia 3310 - that's how much I hate Android.

Last edited:

Oracle666

Funny enough I was just playing with this phone about 30min ago. I love the size of the screen, i must say though, the compass feature on Google street view does not work that well. The touch screen was a bit delayed, but then again, the guy had a phone for two months now, maybe when its brand new it works like a charm. That does not help me. 7/10

Jan

Drifting in the black
Bad review, obviously done by an Iphone fan.
Dude, you obviously don't know the first thing about me. Feel free to read the opening paragraphs of my iPhone review to get a glimpse of where my loyalties lie.

"..For instance, one of the new features of Android 2.2 “FroYo” is the ability to set up your phone as a wireless access point.."

This was available with Android 2.1 (standard feature on the Samung Galaxy S)
You should read the rest of that paragraph.

"..We weren't able to check our balances on Vodacom prepaid using *111# with the Samsung Galaxy S..."

I used the *111# all the time on my Samsung Galaxy S without any problems.
That's great to hear, but I tried this multiple times on the review unit I was given and it didn't work. I can only review based on my experiences.

"..This slow loading occurred whether we were connected to 4 Mbps ADSL via Wi-Fi or the mobile broadband network.."

Nonsense it's fast.
As above.

"..Unfortunately you'll still have to pick at a software keyboard to type in any of South Africa's native languages, however.."

After a while it remembers your new words.
Sure, but training it is tedious. Teaching a predictive text system a whole new language is a bit of a pain.

EtienneK

Expert Member
I agree with the default email app. It is quite crap. I am using the default Gmail web interface which is awesome.

Also, the stock Samsung Galaxy S is a bit laggy in some areas. That's why most people root the thing and implement Lag fixes. Wish Sammy just released it with these as stock standard.

It is still the best phone I've ever used, though. And believe me, I work with a huge range of different phones every day of my life.

Last edited:

Oracle666

Honestly, despite all the hype, I don't think Android comes close in terms of ease of use and functionality to Symbian. My 6210 Navigator was a much more fully featured device than my HTC Desire, despite the fact that it wasn't even close to being top of the range then.
I had a Nokia N97 for about a year, and when someone asks me how the phone is, I tell them not to buy that crap! Symbian is outdated, I dont know how they can still call that thing a phone OS. That is why all the manufactures are moving away from it accept Nokia.

Jan

Drifting in the black
Android, the most overrated and second most useless phone OS i have ever used - the only worse is Windows Mobile (pre 7).

Honestly, despite all the hype, I don't think Android comes close in terms of ease of use and functionality to Symbian. My 6210 Navigator was a much more fully featured device than my HTC Desire, despite the fact that it wasn't even close to being top of the range then.
Yikes, those are some bold (and impassioned statements). Why do you say your 6210 was a more fully-featured device?

Anyway, if you prefer Symbian over Android, have you checked out the N8?

Jan

Drifting in the black
I agree with the default email app. It is quite crap. I am using the default Gmail web interface which is awesome.

Also, the stock Samsung Galaxy S is a bit laggy in some areas. That's why most people root the thing and implement Lag fixes. Wish Sammy just released it with these as stock standard.

It is still the best phone I've ever used, though. And believe me, I work with a huge range of different phones every day of my life.
I would upvote you if I could, just for the look of disapproval in your signature ;-D.

But I digress: To me it's a toss up between the Galaxy S and the HTC Desire. The Galaxy S has the better screen by far but HTC provides better stock apps and widgets for their devices. Samsung of course includes cool apps like Swype which offsets that, somewhat.

Also, HTC's menus don't look like it was ripped off from the iPhone.

The amount of on-board storage on the Desire is problematic compared to the ample built-in storage in the Galaxy S, though.

If you're just going to root the device and load a custom ROM then the Galaxy S would probably be the better device.

CrazYmonkeY159

Expert Member
The Samsung Galaxy S is an incredibly light device, though the plastic housing feels flimsy next to the solid construction of devices such as the HTC Desire, iPhone 4, Nokia N8, and even its brother from another mother: the Samsung Wave.

Samsung's TouchWiz user interface (or “skin”) for Android may also drive some users away. If you've ever worked with an iPhone before, it'll feel like Samsung stole their menu interface directly from Apple.
OP I agree with that sentence and that sentence alone.

OP for some reason, (and most reviewers can attest to this) it takes Android generally a couple of days for it to become blitz fast, are you sure you let android "settle in" before reviewing it?

do you want me to link you a couple of youtube links which show the SGS beating the iPhone 4 in browsing speed?

BTW i am an android fan but not a SGS fan

Last edited:

HawkiesZA

Just in my quick uses of the Galaxy I found it to be laggy in places as well. I don't know how accurate it is to say that most people root it, but I sure as hell would just to get rid of those crap widgets and that gaudy interface.

Android device manufacturers have some lessons to learn about polishing their user interfaces
Hmmm....Sense is pretty great IMO. Samsung just needs to understand that if people wanted an iPhone, they would have bought one. I don't mind innovation, but they aren't innovating so much as copying straight out.

and delivering upgrades, updates and fixes timeously before they can truly rival Apple's smartphone, however.
Yes. Just...yes.

Tassidar said:
Honestly, despite all the hype, I don't think Android comes close in terms of ease of use and functionality to Symbian.
Can't say I agree and I was a big fan of Symbian. Symbian was great on my N-Gage, but it just is not made for touch interface IMO. I tried using the N8, I really did, and it was confusing at the best of times. I'm hoping that MeeGo will change things and maybe bring some more solid competition into the market.

Tassidar

Expert Member
Yikes, those are some bold (and impassioned statements). Why do you say your 6210 was a more fully-featured device?

Anyway, if you prefer Symbian over Android, have you checked out the N8?
To justify:
Most important features for me:
(1) Navigation - Not available in SA
(2) Offline maps - Nokia has had this for years, with Google I have to chew up valuable data
(3) App store only free aps - having browsed through it, I find the apps mostly useless.
(4) I found games on my Navigator much better.
#s 1-2 are absolute deal breakers for me.

Irritating bugs:
There doesn't seem to be a way to kill 3G connection, the damn thing connects whenever it chooses chowing through bandwidth.

In the four or five months that I've had it, I've also found very little that I like. I certainly have found nothing that makes me say wow, this operating system has something. Come to think of it, for all the rave reviews that Android gets, can't remember anyone else identifying killer features.

All I can see around Android is hype, and very little justification for the hype. Now I would love for someone to explain to me what I am missing, so that I can finally get some enjoyment from this phone that I am rapidly coming to regard as a piece of junk.

At least with Symbian in SA the features work - Google doesn't care enough for the SA market to enable half of the features.

Tim182

Expert Member
Horrible review. 2.2 is in the process of rolling out and fixes most issues mentioned.

Some other points
- It doesn't feel flimsy, it is light but very solid
- "Strangely, there's no notification for new mail or messages from social networking service" - false, can be set up directly in the official facebook and twitter apps.
- "Sometimes the device takes a long time to respond to rotation. When you're typing text and want to switch to the landscape keyboard, for example, the Galaxy S only responds after a few seconds. Here the iPhone remains king with mostly smooth, animated transitions between portrait and landscape type" - lagfix fixes that
- "Basic apps like email and contacts start up slowly sometimes. The default email application bundled with the device also gave us some problems." Never had issues, and they load and work fast even without lagfix

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Best phone I ever had. Samsung must just get their asses into gear with official updates. Maybe the interviewer should ask Samsung SA about this?

Tim182

Expert Member
To justify:
Most important features for me:
(1) Navigation - Not available in SA
(2) Offline maps - Nokia has had this for years, with Google I have to chew up valuable data
(3) App store only free aps - having browsed through it, I find the apps mostly useless.
(4) I found games on my Navigator much better.
#s 1-2 are absolute deal breakers for me.

Irritating bugs:
There doesn't seem to be a way to kill 3G connection, the damn thing connects whenever it chooses chowing through bandwidth.

In the four or five months that I've had it, I've also found very little that I like. I certainly have found nothing that makes me say wow, this operating system has something. Come to think of it, for all the rave reviews that Android gets, can't remember anyone else identifying killer features.

All I can see around Android is hype, and very little justification for the hype. Now I would love for someone to explain to me what I am missing, so that I can finally get some enjoyment from this phone that I am rapidly coming to regard as a piece of junk.

At least with Symbian in SA the features work - Google doesn't care enough for the SA market to enable half of the features.
1: there are ways to enable google nav even in SA. Otherwise download a thirdparty navigation software such as copilot or ndrive
2. see copilot or ndrive
3. root your phone and install market enabler, then you will have access to paid apps. alternatively use third party sites offering paid apps - do a search

other: to kill your 3g connection download "apn widget". this lets you disable your 3g or internet connection

what you are missing: from your comments you seem to have spend no time at all getting to know the android system. do some research, try some apps, root your phone and get paid market access. it is the apps which make android and the freedom to set up your phone anyway you like, you just have to spend some time learning

HawkiesZA

Horrible review. 2.2 is in the process of rolling out and fixes most issues mentioned.
It's a review unit. He can only review what he has, not what he hopes he can one day get.

Some other points
- It doesn't feel flimsy, it is light but very solid
I dunno man, the Wave felt solid (even though it was a piece of junk), the SGS didn't have that same feel to it, but I guess it's personal opinion.

- "Strangely, there's no notification for new mail or messages from social networking service" - false, can be set up directly in the official facebook and twitter apps.
I think he was talking about the lock screen with the puzzle pieces. Does that show up for mail and social networks?

- "Sometimes the device takes a long time to respond to rotation. When you're typing text and want to switch to the landscape keyboard, for example, the Galaxy S only responds after a few seconds. Here the iPhone remains king with mostly smooth, animated transitions between portrait and landscape type" - lagfix fixes that
Again, he can only review what he has, not what he hopes for.

- "Basic apps like email and contacts start up slowly sometimes. The default email application bundled with the device also gave us some problems." Never had issues, and they load and work fast even without lagfix
See above.

Tassidar said:
With the SGS this is true - try APNDroid or something equivalent like Tim182 said. I'm fairly sure that with the Desire there's a power widget that lets you switch it off.

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
1: there are ways to enable google nav even in SA. Otherwise download a thirdparty navigation software such as copilot or ndrive
2. see copilot or ndrive
3. root your phone and install market enabler, then you will have access to paid apps. alternatively use third party sites offering paid apps - do a search

other: to kill your 3g connection download "apn widget". this lets you disable your 3g or internet connection

what you are missing: from your comments you seem to have spend no time at all getting to know the android system. do some research, try some apps, root your phone and get paid market access. it is the apps which make android and the freedom to set up your phone anyway you like, you just have to spend some time learning
The problem is that it all requires 3rd party apps to "fix" these problem. With this said you can install apps to make your phone do just about anything so the app defense can be used for any phone.

That being said the screen is so nice and B I G and if I had the money I would have probably take this over the N8 but, it's extremely expensive for a phone :(

Tim182

Expert Member
The problem is that it all requires 3rd party apps to "fix" these problem.
That is the point of a smartphone. It's the same story if you buy an iPhone, Android and to a certain extend even Blackberry.

If you want everything installed and ready to go out the box get a Nokia featurephone with symbian s60. Unfortunately with that you won't be able to add much on.

nalu

Missing the point

Honestly, despite all the hype, I don't think Android comes close in terms of ease of use and functionality to Symbian. My 6210 Navigator was a much more fully featured device than my HTC Legend, despite the fact that it wasn't even close to being top of the range then.

Until Android does some serious maturing, I would give it a major miss. I'm actually tempted to go back to my Nokia 3310 - that's how much I hate Android.
Then you are missing the point of android and ios. They are a new paradigm and you don't have to like it. I my opinion symbian is so bad even nokia decided to write a new one. My 2 cents

Tim182

Expert Member
It's a review unit. He can only review what he has, not what he hopes he can one day get.
I got my SGS months before it was released in SA and ran the initial, original firmware for a while. This is also likely the one which has been reviewed here (or a newer one) and let me tell you, it really does not have that many issues. I may be laggy here and there but not as bad as made out to be.

Also, everyone is getting 2.2 for certain. It is in the process of being rolled out internationally.

I think he was talking about the lock screen with the puzzle pieces. Does that show up for mail and social networks?
There are tons of lock screen available via the app store. No problem installing a different one.