Reviving an old Campaq Pantium 4

Bhoza

Ok, sow I have this P4 Tower that is literally a fossil ....but a working fossil nonetheless. Over the years taken a lot from it but I recently managed to get everything I need to get it up and running. The only problem I have now is Windows.

Since this system is very old and not flashy at all I was looking to get windows XP pro working in the.
1.After a tedious trial I managed to get a windows XP pro ISO that looks right (should work)
2.Then wrote the disk image on a flash drive after formatting it. I did this with ultra ISO
3.changed the boot order in Bios menu to start with USB .......failed to boot
4.On startup I pressed f9 to get boot menu then selected USB still failed to boot

The error I get is NTLDR is missing.

What am I missing, what am I doing wrong,if you know pls share thy wisdom

Last edited:

WAslayer

Executive Member
You have an excess stomach acid medicine that is also a plant stem fertilizer..??

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
The error I get is NTLDR is missing .

What am I missing ,what am I doing wrong ,if you know pls share thy wisdom
NT Boot Loader is missing. Very well documented on the internet. Simple search:

Bhoza

I enjoyed reading this and working back to the correct spelling of each word.
Yep, now I remember how finicky yoll can be. Just like the good old days.
I just threw the entire text and minced it through a word processor.

Now I hope after you are amused you may come back to help if you can ...

Gozzy

Ok, sow I have this P4 Tower that is literally a fossil ....but a working fossil nonetheless. Over the years taken a lot from it but I recently managed to get everything I need to get it up and running. The only problem I have now is Windows.

Since this system is very old and not flashy at all I was looking to get windows XP pro working in the.
1.After a tedious trial I managed to get a windows XP pro ISO that looks right (should work)
2.Then wrote the disk image on a flash drive after formatting it. I did this with ultra ISO
3.changed the boot order in Bios menu to start with USB .......failed to boot
4.On startup I pressed f9 to get boot menu then selected USB still failed to boot

The error I get is NTLDR is missing.

What am I missing, what am I doing wrong,if you know pls share thy wisdom
According to my knowledge XP cannot boot from USB this way (unless some hackery is involved) burn to CD and install the normal way, or pehaps try a 3rd party tool like YUMI and try and create a bootable USB that way.

Bhoza

Sow I just skimmed through the page site you gave me and I'm convinced that I will find and fix whatever is causing the problem sooner or later by testing each step until success is attained.

The only problem is the are a lot of possible steps, and I mean a lot sow I've decided to commit my weekend for this task.

Otherwise, thank you for the heads up and I will definitely give an update soon.

Bhoza

Ah, the good old days of Windows XP errors. You gonna be frustrated out of your mind as software don't work on it. I would chuck W10 on there?
Ey I hear you, a lot of people have been giving me the same warning.

In my defense, though the reason I'm going for something so obsolete is simply that:

1.I'm not going to use it, I'm just getting it to work for someone else whose only interest in using the PC is for very simple software (work-related stuff)
2.The hardware is very basic I dare say which is why I'm playing it safe with a windows version I know will not have requirements that will need me to upgrade the system.

WAslayer

Executive Member
I considered that but the person who is going to use it prefers windows.

You know how old people cling to what they know right?
and I am in no mood to have an argument I know I won't win.
If it has enough ram, Windows 7 is honestly going to be your best bet.. 2GB ram would suffice, if the software that will be running on it is not ram heavy.. 4GB would be ample, though that's a stretch for a lot of hardware for that era..

Bhoza

According to my knowledge XP cannot boot from USB this way (unless some hackery is involved) burn to CD and install the normal way, or pehaps try a 3rd party tool like YUMI and try and create a bootable USB that way.
Interesting sow XP might be the problem hm .
Then the DVD and CD ROM are basically now just the for deco since they sow dusty they don't work anymore.
Then I'll try out Yumi but could you just tell me this
1.Will I be successful using yumi to create a windows pen drive, I ask this since I saw the was an emphasis on Linux?
2.If XP is the problem what other old version do you think I should consider? Vista maybe?

Bhoza

If it has enough ram, Windows 7 is honestly going to be your best bet.. 2GB ram would suffice, if the software that will be running on it is not ram heavy.. 4GB would be ample, though that's a stretch for a lot of hardware for that era..
Oh my haha. I was afraid of checking but I just did sow I could give you a straight answer. The total memory it has is 384 MB from three 128 MB memory channels/sticks Pathetic I know!
but as I said before everything worthy was striped throughout the years, so Windows 7 is a definite no go

RedViking

Nord of the South
Ey I hear you, a lot of people have been giving me the same warning.

In my defense, though the reason I'm going for something so obsolete is simply that:

1.I'm not going to use it, I'm just getting it to work for someone else whose only interest in using the PC is for very simple software (work-related stuff)
2.The hardware is very basic I dare say which is why I'm playing it safe with a windows version I know will not have requirements that will need me to upgrade the system.
Cool. I used it for my mom for a while with open source software such OpenOffice. But couldn't even get Dropbox to backup the stuff :laugh: and then one after the next error.

Gozzy

Interesting sow XP might be the problem hm .
Then the DVD and CD ROM are basically now just the for deco since they sow dusty they don't work anymore.
Then I'll try out Yumi but could you just tell me this
1.Will I be successful using yumi to create a windows pen drive, I ask this since I saw the was an emphasis on Linux?
2.If XP is the problem what other old version do you think I should consider? Vista maybe?
1) I've used YUMI a lot before, but never with XP, but if anything's to go by,
- then grab a unused USB
- Run the YUMI APP
- Choose USB and Format USB within YUMI (Becareful and choose the correct Drive :p)
- From Drop Down select Windows XP and choose the ISO
- Finish and then Boot from USB and check how it goes and if you can Boot into WinXP Setup.

2) Based on what specs I see and that you will be using the pc for, Windows XP is your best bet, having 384MB ram it should be reliable and OK for "simple work related stuff" :)

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member