Reviving an old Campaq Pantium 4

Bhoza

Cool. I used it for my mom for a while with open source software such OpenOffice. But couldn't even get Dropbox to backup the stuff :laugh: and then one after the next error.
Well I can unarguably see a future where I come back whining about how useless XP is, good news is I've already braced myself for you and many others to say "I told you so".:laugh:

On the other hand, the plan I have in mind. The user of the pc will have to transfer anything they want to do that involves the internet to another system or phone . It's a lot of work but a worthy compromise for now.

chromedome

Expert Member
Enable legacy support? I remember battling to get my pc to boot from usb and this worked back then.

Tun@

Expert Member
Also try use as small a USB drive as you have.
You stick a 128GB usb drive in win98 it just freaks out & dies.
Xp i cant remember but smaller is more advisable than something it never knew about when it was born.

Bhoza

1) I've used YUMI a lot before, but never with XP, but if anything's to go by,
- then grab a unused USB
- Run the YUMI APP
- Choose USB and Format USB within YUMI (Becareful and choose the correct Drive :p)
- From Drop Down select Windows XP and choose the ISO
- Finish and then Boot from USB and check how it goes and if you can Boot into WinXP Setup.

2) Based on what specs I see and that you will be using the pc for, Windows XP is your best bet, having 384MB ram it should be reliable and OK for "simple work related stuff" :)
That looks very promising, I'm quite eager to test it out. Though the seems to an unforeseen problem.
the XP iso I thought was good turns out it's not. A friend intervened and he saw what I couldn't see. That the ISO is not proper.

So now I have to find another one. I don't know if I can ask anyone to give me a heads up on where to download it, if none can I understand I'll look till I find a trustworthy source.

@Dairyfarmer @Everyones-a-Wally @WAslayer @RedViking

I have mentioned yoll in this post since you shared your wisdom I am yet to use, this is an update of sorts.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
That looks very promising, I'm quite eager to test it out. Though the seems to an unforeseen problem.
the XP iso I thought was good turns out it's not. A friend intervened and he saw what I couldn't see. That the ISO is not proper.

So now I have to find another one. I don't know if I can ask anyone to give me a heads up on where to download it, if none can I understand I'll look till I find a trustworthy source.

I have mentioned yoll in this post since you shared your wisdom I am yet to use, this is an update of sorts.

Tun@

Expert Member

If you get stuck i can upload XP Home SP3 or XP Pro SP2 whichever you prefer

Bhoza

NT Boot Loader is missing. Very well documented on the internet. Simple search:
Sow I just skimmed through the page site you gave me and I'm convinced that I will find and fix whatever is causing the problem sooner or later by testing each step until success is attained.

The only problem is the are a lot of possible steps, and I mean a lot sow I've decided to commit my weekend for this task.

Otherwise, thank you for the heads up and I will definitely give an update soon.
I just noticed that my reply to this massage was not directed to you directly.

WAslayer

Executive Member

If yumi don't work, Rufus is my go to for creating bootable USB drives..

Of course, a working ISO of XP is going to be paramount to any sort of success..

Bhoza

and this is an example of why I come to this site to solve any problem tech-related. :cool:

I'm always sorted, and you know I'm now considering to ask to ask even miscellaneous questions like which underwear size I should buy for the next 5 years ...

Thank you!

Little Mac

Honorary Master

I might have a copy lying around on CD but getting it off might be tricky. Then there's the issue of the key... I think my version is a DSP as well so it'll give you grief to install.
Hopefully this PC will NOT be put online ever.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Enable legacy support? I remember battling to get my pc to boot from usb and this worked back then.

You think that PC from Noah's Ark has UEFI support?

Lol.

Probably doesnt have Boot from USB, OP needs to burn the XP iso to CD, maybe change HDD in BIOS to IDE from AHCI.

Sorted.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
You think that PC from Noah's Ark has UEFI support?

Lol.

Probably doesnt have Boot from USB, OP needs to burn the XP iso to CD, maybe change HDD in BIOS to IDE from AHCI.

Sorted.
Some did.
Award BIOS,
Ami BIOS,

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
If yumi don't work, Rufus is my go to for creating bootable USB drives..

Of course, a working ISO of XP is going to be paramount to any sort of success..
Ventoy is excellent. It make a bootable USB stick. Then you just copy any ISO to it. When you boot from the USB stick you have all the options there. Windows, Linux, Android,.....
1620314752413.png

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member

Super Light Version of Windows XP. With or Without Service Pack 4 (Unofficial). Based on Windows XP Professional 32-Bit.
Good for lower-end PC's from 1993 and up.
System Requriements:
64MB Of RAM (RAM Check disabled so it might be possible to install below this)
1.5GB Hard Drive Space (The check for this was also disabled)
233MHz Intel Pentium Processor
CD/DVD Drive For Installation on Real Hardware.

Slav

Ok, sow I have this P4 Tower that is literally a fossil ....but a working fossil nonetheless. Over the years taken a lot from it but I recently managed to get everything I need to get it up and running. The only problem I have now is Windows.

Since this system is very old and not flashy at all I was looking to get windows XP pro working in the.
1.After a tedious trial I managed to get a windows XP pro ISO that looks right (should work)
2.Then wrote the disk image on a flash drive after formatting it. I did this with ultra ISO
3.changed the boot order in Bios menu to start with USB .......failed to boot
4.On startup I pressed f9 to get boot menu then selected USB still failed to boot

The error I get is NTLDR is missing.

What am I missing, what am I doing wrong,if you know pls share thy wisdom
Depends on where you got your ISO from.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
I can borrow you a dvd rom (ide or sata), and a windows xp DVD, I'm in pta, pm me if you want. I don't have an xp key for you though...

Think you could Linux or even windows 7i386/x32 though.