Reviving an old Campaq Pantium 4

Bhoza

I'm honestly not sure I understand what windows 10 lite is but all in checking out the specs required I still fall short in the memory/ram department .384 MB ram remember. Unless the is a bigger picture I'm missing out on please clarify.

Bhoza

Enable legacy support? I remember battling to get my pc to boot from usb and this worked back then.
Unless I'm not really grasping what you mean by enabling legacy support, that would not help in this case.
To clarify what I mean the problem is not running old software which if it was I would understand why enabling legacy support would be useful to make the system behave differently from its standard operation in order to support older software.No the problem is I have a very old computer with no windows installed in any of the two 20 GB hard drives and very limited ram capability (384 MB) ...side note everything else is good enough like the processor packs a decent 1.7GHz, sow again I am limited very much by the system's memory.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
I'm honestly not sure I understand what windows 10 lite is but all in checking out the specs required I still fall short in the memory/ram department .384 MB ram remember. Unless the is a bigger picture I'm missing out on please clarify.
Then try XP Lite. I posted a link further up

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Ok, sow I have this P4 Tower that is literally a fossil ....but a working fossil nonetheless. Over the years taken a lot from it but I recently managed to get everything I need to get it up and running. The only problem I have now is Windows.

Since this system is very old and not flashy at all I was looking to get windows XP pro working in the.
1.After a tedious trial I managed to get a windows XP pro ISO that looks right (should work)
2.Then wrote the disk image on a flash drive after formatting it. I did this with ultra ISO
3.changed the boot order in Bios menu to start with USB .......failed to boot
4.On startup I pressed f9 to get boot menu then selected USB still failed to boot

The error I get is NTLDR is missing.

What am I missing, what am I doing wrong,if you know pls share thy wisdom
Write a CD with "The Devil's Own" version of XP and boot off CD. That's a driver issue.

WAslayer

Executive Member
Unless I'm not really grasping what you mean by enabling legacy support, that would not help in this case.
To clarify what I mean the problem is not running old software which if it was I would understand why enabling legacy support would be useful to make the system behave differently from its standard operation in order to support older software.No the problem is I have a very old computer with no windows installed in any of the two 20 GB hard drives and very limited ram capability (384 MB) ...side note everything else is good enough like the processor packs a decent 1.7GHz, sow again I am limited very much by the system's memory.
This is an option in the bios in newer systems which are eufi based, which I am doubtful your system is.. though you can check through the boot menu in the bios for usb boot type options to confirm if it's there..

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

chromedome

Expert Member
If you have it, try it and see what happens, if not you've lost nothing, just disable it again.

Bhoza

Ok, sow I have this P4 Tower that is literally a fossil ....but a working fossil nonetheless. Over the years taken a lot from it but I recently managed to get everything I need to get it up and running. The only problem I have now is Windows.

Since this system is very old and not flashy at all I was looking to get windows XP pro working in the.
1.After a tedious trial I managed to get a windows XP pro ISO that looks right (should work)
2.Then wrote the disk image on a flash drive after formatting it. I did this with ultra ISO
3.changed the boot order in Bios menu to start with USB .......failed to boot
4.On startup I pressed f9 to get boot menu then selected USB still failed to boot

The error I get is NTLDR is missing.

What am I missing, what am I doing wrong,if you know pls share thy wisdom
Ok Greetings to Everyone.
First things first I would like to explain my absence. The simple reason for that is I wanted to use all the suggestions then continue the conversation if necessary because I think I would be wasting your time by just responding to possible answers without applying them.

Then a small clarification. The following is a comprihensive feedback to all the suggestions I got but If you feel I may have overlooked your suggestion please do make me aware.

Beware this is one long-ass response...

1.The size of the stick I use is 8 GB
2.I Format the stick to Fat32 format every time possible (Ill explain more on this later
3.I have download 4 versions of windows from the site @backstreetboy provided (2 XP home versions and 2 XP Pro versions) I didn't bother with the 64-bit version as the system is a 32-bit system
4.Failed to write an image with all the windows OS I download and yes I used every tool in the arsenal (UltraISO, Yumi, Rufus, and WinToFlash)
5.Extracted with Ultra Iso to inspect the content. I'm no expert but to me, they don't look right and I'm making this judgment by comparing how I Remember the disc should look when you explore its content. Another factor I considered though was that maybe the contents don't have to look like the disc version since I will be using it with a Pendrive.
6.Ventoy had an advantage since I did not need to write an image on the stick but just move the content into it after configuring it with Ventoy. In the end, I still couldn't boot successfully.
7..I approached writing the image from every angle I could see and think of because even after all the mishappening I had hoped I was doing something wrong sow I changed every variable that I could and any other that made sense to change to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong or missing anything.
Side Note: Took me almost an entire day to try everything.
8.Attempted to fix the NTLDR error but couldn't try all of them since some need an XP disc to proceed with, but for those that don't, I did all of them.
Note then I tried again the next day just to be certain I didn't mess up somehow.
9.Out of interest I tested the ISO's I had before and I only succeed to write an image with only one, which was a futile effort since it was the very same Iso that would not boot up.
10.Then download the XP Superlight version which had succeeded to be written as an image with some software but in the end, I was unsuccessful.
Out of interest did some research on the matter and found something interesting here's a link XP installation
The important note from that page for me was that I need a "Full installation disc, not a service pack "because according to my understanding service packs are just upgrades.

Way forward.
1.If someone has another source of where I can download the XP OS please do share
2. @Tun@ this is not compulsory if you can it could help out in eliminating the system, USB (used two), or even myself as a possible factor that is making some kind of error?

and last but not least @backstreetboy even though it did not work out Thank You Still for the link.

Bhoza

If you have it, try it and see what happens, if not you've lost nothing, just disable it again.
I couldn't find the option to toggle between legacy mode and UEFI ...not sure what the means

Bhoza

Also try use as small a USB drive as you have.
You stick a 128GB usb drive in win98 it just freaks out & dies.
Xp i cant remember but smaller is more advisable than something it never knew about when it was born.
In my opinion, this is the best comment of the thread so far (It just freaks out and dies):ROFL:

As I read that I had a picture in my head of a woman freaking out ...

Bhoza

I might have a copy lying around on CD but getting it off might be tricky. Then there's the issue of the key... I think my version is a DSP as well so it'll give you grief to install.
Hopefully this PC will NOT be put online ever.
Well that sounds promising, if you do find it and we don't reach a conclusion please do tell and we will take it from the but for now, let's see what this gathering of intellectuals broods

And Thank You for the offer!

Last edited:

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Ok Greetings to Everyone.
First things first I would like to explain my absence. The simple reason for that is I wanted to use all the suggestions then continue the conversation if necessary because I think I would be wasting your time by just responding to possible answers without applying them.

Then a small clarification. The following is a comprihensive feedback to all the suggestions I got but If you feel I may have overlooked your suggestion please do make me aware.

Beware this is one long-ass response...

1.The size of the stick I use is 8 GB
2.I Format the stick to Fat32 format every time possible (Ill explain more on this later
3.I have download 4 versions of windows from the site @backstreetboy provided (2 XP home versions and 2 XP Pro versions) I didn't bother with the 64-bit version as the system is a 32-bit system
4.Failed to write an image with all the windows OS I download and yes I used every tool in the arsenal (UltraISO, Yumi, Rufus, and WinToFlash)
5.Extracted with Ultra Iso to inspect the content. I'm no expert but to me, they don't look right and I'm making this judgment by comparing how I Remember the disc should look when you explore its content. Another factor I considered though was that maybe the contents don't have to look like the disc version since I will be using it with a Pendrive.
6.Ventoy had an advantage since I did not need to write an image on the stick but just move the content into it after configuring it with Ventoy. In the end, I still couldn't boot successfully.
7..I approached writing the image from every angle I could see and think of because even after all the mishappening I had hoped I was doing something wrong sow I changed every variable that I could and any other that made sense to change to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong or missing anything.
Side Note: Took me almost an entire day to try everything.
8.Attempted to fix the NTLDR error but couldn't try all of them since some need an XP disc to proceed with, but for those that don't, I did all of them.
Note then I tried again the next day just to be certain I didn't mess up somehow.
9.Out of interest I tested the ISO's I had before and I only succeed to write an image with only one, which was a futile effort since it was the very same Iso that would not boot up.
10.Then download the XP Superlight version which had succeeded to be written as an image with some software but in the end, I was unsuccessful.
Out of interest did some research on the matter and found something interesting here's a link XP installation
The important note from that page for me was that I need a "Full installation disc, not a service pack "because according to my understanding service packs are just upgrades.

Way forward.
1.If someone has another source of where I can download the XP OS please do share
2. @Tun@ this is not compulsory if you can it could help out in eliminating the system, USB (used two), or even myself as a possible factor that is making some kind of error?

and last but not least @backstreetboy even though it did not work out Thank You Still for the link.
Those are Technet/MSDN iso's so not sure how you say they're not legit. You can verify the sha1 hash using DDG/Google etc.

File Name: en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86 _cd_x14-80428.iso
Languages: English
SHA1: 1c735b38931bf57fb14ebd9a9ba253ceb443d459

You should download that one. Format the usb to fat32 and then mount the iso and copy the files to the usb. Boot into FreeDOS http://www.freedos.org/ and then run the setup from the i386 folder.

EDIT: You can download https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html to compare the sha1 hash.

Bhoza

Some did.
Award BIOS,
Ami BIOS,

Yep this one also can boot from USB

Bhoza

My next prospect'll give feedback as soon as I've tested it out.
I download the file from archive.org and it just looks weird, to say the least ... It's a zip file with more zip files in it that all have ISOS in them. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how to proceed? would you mind giving me some enlightenment on how to maneuver from here or maybe you know another source/site that you believe I should download this from?

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I download the file from archive.org and it just looks weird, to say the least ... It's a zip file with more zip files in it that all have ISOS in them. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how to proceed? would you mind giving me some enlightenment on how to maneuver from here or maybe you know another source/site that you believe I should download this from?
What's the motherboard manufacturer and model number?

Bhoza

Those are Technet/MSDN iso's so not sure how you say they're not legit. You can verify the sha1 hash using DDG/Google etc.

File Name: en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86 _cd_x14-80428.iso
Languages: English
SHA1: 1c735b38931bf57fb14ebd9a9ba253ceb443d459

You should download that one. Format the usb to fat32 and then mount the iso and copy the files to the usb. Boot into FreeDOS http://www.freedos.org/ and then run the setup from the i386 folder.

EDIT: You can download https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html to compare the sha1 hash.
It would seem my suspicions that I could be doing something wrong or missing something are well-founded. I said what I said about the ISOS from my limited perspective.
Then I have to say I am a novice when it comes to Tech in true depth "sha1 hash" I have no idea what that is.

Your instruction seems easy enough except where it concerns FreeDOS.
1.How do I boot into FreeDOS? I've looked around and found that this is a powerful tool that could potentially leave my well operating system in shambles when I install it.
exhibit 1 The FreeDOS kernel (even as late as build 2017f) still contains the bug for 512MB disks. Do not use this kernel if you plan to access - even read - a disk partition bigger than 512MB. If you do, you will find that your drive is corrupt, and you will need to reformat and re-install your software. This is a well-known bug with large hard disks, advertised on the FreeDOS sites since Aug 12 1998."

2.I'm not sure if this was clear if it was forgive me for rambling. I just want to be sure we are on the same page. The Hard drives were once formatted to be used as slaves, both of them. So I am literally starting from scratch

and Yes Ill download the version you speak of

chromedome

Expert Member
I couldn't find the option to toggle between legacy mode and UEFI ...not sure what the means
As far as I remember it will just say usb legacy support and then you can select enable or disable. This will enable the bios to load it's drivers to support usb at start up.

ponder

Honorary Master
In my opinion, this is the best comment of the thread so far (It just freaks out and dies):ROFL:

As I read that I had a picture in my head of a woman freaking out ...

Download http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/bios/bios_update.zip and extract the 128MBDOS.IMG file

Use,
or

Use either of the above utilities to write the 128MBDOS.IMG to a USB flash drive, instructions for flashnul are;
Attach your USB drive
Run flashnul -p

Note the physical device number for the USB drive
Run flashnul <number obtained in prior step> -L \path\to\128MBDOS.IMG

Answer "yes" if the selected destination device is correct
Remove your USB drive when the command completes

Now try and boot from that USB drive just to test it.

If you can boot from it then create a second new partition on the USB drive just big enough to copy all the windows setup files to it.
Boot from it again and at the dos prompt cd to D: partition and run setup. You can also copy the setup files to the secondary drive on the computer, boot from the USB, cd to the drive and run setup.