Reviving an old Campaq Pantium 4

ponder

Honorary Master
Also look at No-Execute Memory Protect in bios depending on the os you're installing.

Totempole

Expert Member
Also try use as small a USB drive as you have.
You stick a 128GB usb drive in win98 it just freaks out & dies.
Xp i cant remember but smaller is more advisable than something it never knew about when it was born.
This is absolutely not true. If the drive is FAT32 formatted it will work perfectly fine on Windows 98.

Tun@

Expert Member
This is absolutely not true. If the drive is FAT32 formatted it will work perfectly fine on Windows 98.

It is absolutely true, would you like me to post you a video of it crashing?
Also just looked & the drive is FAT32
Smaller drive's work in it ok

Tun@

Expert Member
Way forward.
1.If someone has another source of where I can download the XP OS please do share
2. @Tun@ this is not compulsory if you can it could help out in eliminating the system, USB (used two), or even myself as a possible factor that is making some kind of error?

I'm uploading a xp iso i have for you now - will pm you a link once its up. There's a serial txt file in it also.
I would expect a 8GB stick should work but that's just a thumbsuck, i can't say for sure. Issue i mentioned earlier was in regard win98

EDIT:
If that mobo has an ISA slot on it i can probably hook you up a buyer if you end up wanting to sell it instead.

Last edited:

Bhoza

As far as I remember it will just say usb legacy support and then you can select enable or disable. This will enable the bios to load it's drivers to support usb at start up.
I see. Well take a look this is what I have 20210512_124221.jpg 20210512_124149.jpg

Bhoza

Download http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/bios/bios_update.zip and extract the 128MBDOS.IMG file

Use,
or

Use either of the above utilities to write the 128MBDOS.IMG to a USB flash drive, instructions for flashnul are;

Now try and boot from that USB drive just to test it.

If you can boot from it then create a second new partition on the USB drive just big enough to copy all the windows setup files to it.
Boot from it again and at the dos prompt cd to D: partition and run setup. You can also copy the setup files to the secondary drive on the computer, boot from the USB, cd to the drive and run setup.
Straight forward and very precise instructions .Thank you.
I'll give you feed back soon enough.

Bhoza

Have you tried the bootable usb you made on another pc ?
Yes, I have hence the issue of finding an ISO that works is sow rudimental. What happens on another Pc it just skips the boot from the USB then jumps into the Hard drive following the boot sequence. Which seems normal in my opinion.

Bhoza

Side note. I actually have been using the other PC just as a precaution to see if just maybe there's another underlying problem with the Tower in question. I also have tried using the stick with the ISO with the 2nd (working) pc to see if the ISO will work with that pc turned on already and so far no luck.

Yes, I have hence the issue of finding an ISO that works is sow rudimental. What happens on another Pc it just skips the boot from the USB then jumps into the Hard drive following the boot sequence. Which seems normal in my opinion.

Bhoza

I'm uploading a xp iso i have for you now - will pm you a link once its up. There's a serial txt file in it also.
I would expect a 8GB stick should work but that's just a thumbsuck, i can't say for sure. Issue i mentioned earlier was in regard win98

EDIT:
If that mobo has an ISA slot on it i can probably hook you up a buyer if you end up wanting to sell it instead.
ISO link received. Thank you!
Then I'll keep the selling option in mind.

chromedome

Expert Member
It shouldn't if that pc is configured to boot from usb, are you sure the flash drive has a valid boot sector on it, sounds like the pc is scanning the usb, finds nothing and moves on to the next drive in the sequence.

one poster

as stated by @chromedome the pc should stay on the USB drive if that is what it is booting to.

my suggestion is to first forget about the ISO.

download a copy of rufus if you do not yet have it.

when you have rufus running:

select your USB flash drive as the target device.

select the "Boot selection" as FreeDOS (do not add any other ISO).

Make sure the "File system" is selected as FAT32.

Give your USB flash drive a name (in the "volume label" field on rufus) like "Test" (to make sure you can identify it if more than one disk appears anywhere you need to select options)

click start.

When the USB drive is prepared, put it into the Compaq/pantium tower. Switch on computer. After a while you should get a screen which asks you to select a keyboard option (if you choose nothing it will default to US after a couple of seconds). After all of this you will end up with command prompt and a flashing cursor and you can use some DOS commands to see what else is on that USB drive (there should at least be a folder named "LOCALE".

If you do not get to here the specifics of the ISO is likely irrelevant and you have another problem (could maybe try a smaller USB drive in that case and again see if you can at least get to a command prompt) (maybe a drive smaller than 4GB).

Gozzy

I am not following this thread much as my previous statement still stands about XP booting from USB,
USB and XP does not mix well when it comes to booting the OS or SETUP from it, like I said unless some hackery is involved, the reason for this is, when the setup initializes it restarts the USB driver thus the hack is needed causing the usb drive to not initialize properly... people did not really use USB back then to install XP, installing from USB only became a thing from Vista/7 onwards.

It may be possible to install WinXP from USB but i'm just saying you should know it's a ludicrously unusual non-standard thing to do.

chromedome

Expert Member
My guess is it's skipping the usb drive and trying to boot off the hdd which has a mbr, but obviously no NTLDR as there's no OS installed.

WAslayer

Executive Member
My guess is it's skipping the usb drive and trying to boot off the hdd which has a mbr, but obviously no NTLDR as there's no OS installed.
Nah.. I tried this as well and xp setup refuses to boot from USB.. just hangs there at the cursor not knowing what to do when booting from flash drive..