Reviving an old Campaq Pantium 4

Totempole

Expert Member
It is absolutely true, would you like me to post you a video of it crashing?
Also just looked & the drive is FAT32
Smaller drive's work in it ok
I have no issues using a 128GB on my 98SE system. I use a GUI tool called FAT32 Formatter.

Admittedly I've never tried filling it with files from the 9x system, but I do use it to copy files to it from other machines.

You may have a USB driver issue or the drive is not correctly formatted for legacy.

Tun@

Expert Member
I have no issues using a 128GB on my 98SE system. I use a GUI tool called FAT32 Formatter.

Admittedly I've never tried filling it with files from the 9x system, but I do use it to copy files to it from other machines.

You may have a USB driver issue or the drive is not correctly formatted for legacy.

Interesting yours will work ok , it doesn't matter to me as now i know it does it i just use a smaller one on it.

Gozzy

Skip the USB for XP install...... not gonna work.... try this instead, this WILL work if done properly.

1) Download the file - Hiren XPImage.iso (send me PM for link)
2) Launch YUMI and Follow the steps as below, choose your USB as per below (ignore my HDD in screenshot)

1620834392674.png

3) Boot from USB and choose Mini Windows XP
1620834520509.png

4) Launch Ghost from HBCD Menu

1620834549435.png

5) Choose Local -> Disk -> From Image

1620834611993.png

6) Browse to this file.
1620834846816.png

7) Once Done, remove the USB and hopefully you should be able to boot into XP.

Bhoza

There's good news and there's bad news.

The task at hand can be split into two
1.Finding an Iso that works . Fortunately, this is done thanks to the Iso @Tun@ uploaded . It works!

2.Booting from the USB.
@ponder ,@chromedome , and @OnePostWonder you guys were really onto something here after taking your suggestion I have to say I was able to draw a concise conclusion.
Thanks to even earlier feedback like @chromedome insisting I unable legacy support I was able to run the test yoll suggested to a concise conclusion.
For clarity, the old p4 tower does not have UEFI support obviously but the machine I'm using does which is why I had no response from trying to boot from the USB.
All in all, I was able to boot successfully from the USB while it had no ISO, and even when I inserted one on my current pc. The boot was successful, I even installed a Linux distro just for fun. On the other hand, I still couldn't boot from the USB with or without an ISO on the old P4. I even did more research did some tinkering on every configuration that is related to enabling the system to boot from USB.
In the end, I was not successful.

Side note.
1.The closest I came to installing the XP iso on the Knewer machine was by using WinSetupFromUSB the installation began only to be stopped by an error which I assume was caused by the more current windows OS I have on the system.
2.The only way I am going to install windows on the old P4 is by using a cd ...Luckily I now have some options at hand.
3.Most Importantly. I am truly grateful for all the feedback, lessons, suggestions, download links, and offerings all yoll made to solve my little dilemma. Thank You!

Pitty we could not reach the end I hand in mind . At least I know we/I can rest easy knowing all that could be done was done.

Last edited:

Bhoza

Download http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/bios/bios_update.zip and extract the 128MBDOS.IMG file

Use,
or

Use either of the above utilities to write the 128MBDOS.IMG to a USB flash drive, instructions for flashnul are;

Now try and boot from that USB drive just to test it.

If you can boot from it then create a second new partition on the USB drive just big enough to copy all the windows setup files to it.
Boot from it again and at the dos prompt cd to D: partition and run setup. You can also copy the setup files to the secondary drive on the computer, boot from the USB, cd to the drive and run setup.
I made a more in-depth reply to your post with the overall feedback I posted but I figured I should let you know I used both tools successfully on my current machine but no success on the old p4 even with the bios update.

Budza

Executive Member
Any pics of the thing in action?

Tower and CRT ( :sick: )

Bhoza

Those are Technet/MSDN iso's so not sure how you say they're not legit. You can verify the sha1 hash using DDG/Google etc.

File Name: en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86 _cd_x14-80428.iso
Languages: English
SHA1: 1c735b38931bf57fb14ebd9a9ba253ceb443d459

You should download that one. Format the usb to fat32 and then mount the iso and copy the files to the usb. Boot into FreeDOS http://www.freedos.org/ and then run the setup from the i386 folder.

EDIT: You can download https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html to compare the sha1 hash.
in the end, I ended up using another ISO and stuck with it simply because it worked. I still download the one you vouched for though, more importantly, thanks to you I learned something quite crucial and cardinal which is an extra layer of security using the sha1 hash to validate its integrity.

Thank you!

Bhoza

Any pics of the thing in action?

Tower and CRT ( :sick: )
Pictures of the old p4 booting up ? if that's what you what that can be arranged, for more precision what exactly is it that you would like to see?

ponder

Honorary Master
I made a more in-depth reply to your post with the overall feedback I posted but I figured I should let you know I used both tools successfully on my current machine but no success on the old p4 even with the bios update.

Suppose it wasn't meant to be. I've used it before for stubborn machines in the past that would not work with the usual solutions, your p4 must be really stubborn or quirky in its own special way.

Bhoza

Suppose it wasn't meant to be. I've used it before for stubborn machines in the past that would not work with the usual solutions, your p4 must be really stubborn or quirky in its own special way.
Yep it's definitely a stubborn old coot! after two weeks with 4 days dedicated entirely to this project. I'm Beat ...
It's one of those project Ill eventually get back to as I uncover more possibilities in the future

Gozzy

Yep it's definitely a stubborn old coot! after two weeks with 4 days dedicated entirely to this project. I'm Beat ...
It's one of those project Ill eventually get back to as I uncover more possibilities in the future
Honestly, dont mind helping out, can probably get that pc up and running in an hour if there arent any other issues, the problem with this project is that some of the steps involved requires technical knowledge, for example installing from DOS, this requires you to have basic DOS knowledge, navigating through folders etc, which is not that hard but to step by step each thing here will take longer than an hour, this is why I did all that for you and then the only steps you have to take are those 7 steps.

I created the XP image (from an HP/Compaq Recovery Disk - which mean XP should activate and be 100% legal) and outlined 7 steps for you to reduce the amount of steps needed to finish this project, if you follow the above after getting the download from me, you literally are 30min away from booting into XP if all goes well. :p

chromedome

Expert Member
Ok, this sounds exciting the only question I have is what command would I use for the system to know where to look for the ISO?
Am I missing something, I thought the machine did not have a cd drive.

Bhoza

Honestly, dont mind helping out, can probably get that pc up and running in an hour if there arent any other issues, the problem with this project is that some of the steps involved requires technical knowledge, for example installing from DOS, this requires you to have basic DOS knowledge, navigating through folders etc, which is not that hard but to step by step each thing here will take longer than an hour, this is why I did all that for you and then the only steps you have to take are those 7 steps.

I created the XP image (from an HP/Compaq Recovery Disk - which mean XP should activate and be 100% legal) and outlined 7 steps for you to reduce the amount of steps needed to finish this project, if you follow the above after getting the download from me, you literally are 30min away from booting into XP if all goes well. :p
Well said 100% Technical knowledge is a must here , there's a lot I
learned just to be able to keep up with the responses or at least try to.

On the flip side, I feel like a kid in Wonder Land:D. Your confidence in the solution and what I've seen I have to say it looks and sounds very promising.

Last but not least Your help is very much appreciated, and whichever method you prefer we take I have no objection especially since it's easier and quicker.

Sincerely impatiently waiting for the ISO.
From ME.

Last edited:

Bhoza

Am I missing something, I thought the machine did not have a cd drive.
Well, it does. A CD and DVD ROM which don't work. What I found promising was the steps from the link but with the exception of inserting a disc instead finding the disc/ISO in the Hard drive using Dos and installing it from the . That's what I deduced from the response.

chromedome

Expert Member
Well, it does. A CD and DVD ROM which don't work. What I found promising was the steps from the link but with the exception of inserting a disc instead finding the disc/ISO in the Hard drive using Dos and installing it from the . That's what I deduced from the response.
How are going to copy the files to the Hdd ?

Bhoza

I know a friend who could/will borrow me a setup to turn it into an external drive for the purpose at hand.
Then use my current pc to just transfer the files/ISO.