Reviving an old Campaq Pantium 4

Bhoza

How are going to copy the files to the Hdd ?
I know a friend who could/will borrow me a setup to turn it into an external drive for the purpose at hand.
Then use my current pc to just transfer the files/ISO.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Ok, this sounds exciting the only question I have is what command would I use for the system to know where to look for the ISO?
Just read the article. You copy all the files from the ISO to an actual folder on the HDD. Use DOS and start XP setup. It should be pretty straightforward.

Surv0

Executive Member
Ok, sow I have this P4 Tower that is literally a fossil ....but a working fossil nonetheless. Over the years taken a lot from it but I recently managed to get everything I need to get it up and running. The only problem I have now is Windows.

Since this system is very old and not flashy at all I was looking to get windows XP pro working in the.
1.After a tedious trial I managed to get a windows XP pro ISO that looks right (should work)
2.Then wrote the disk image on a flash drive after formatting it. I did this with ultra ISO
3.changed the boot order in Bios menu to start with USB .......failed to boot
4.On startup I pressed f9 to get boot menu then selected USB still failed to boot

The error I get is NTLDR is missing.

What am I missing, what am I doing wrong,if you know pls share thy wisdom

NTLDR is the boot loader for Windows NT...

Bhoza

Just read the article. You copy all the files from the ISO to an actual folder on the HDD. Use DOS and start XP setup. It should be pretty straightforward.
Hmm yes, it should be easy, but in my case, I have to do some digging around as I am not a well-equipped user of commands.

Sadly I'm part of the generation that got spoiled by windows with everything handed on a silver platter if you know what I mean.

I'm still one of those people that hear 'Linux' and I think 'code'.:eek:... :laugh:

Bhoza

No problemo . I'll upload the pics between tomorrow and Thursday.
I'm in a different location from the machine.
Arrived late ...took pics, poor quality.
Resolution I'll take better quality pics during day time then send them.

Bhoza

Ok
1.I got the Hirens XP from @Gozy (thank you again) and the good news is that it works by following all your instructions bad news is that it works on my current machine . On the p4 in question, the USB is still not detected.

2.Eventually I got to load the XP on the HDD (Loaded it in ISO format and also extracted the files in a different folder in the drive. I also did the same thing with Hirens. The Unfortunate news is that all that preparation could not be tested out since I could not boot into DOS.
I tried every button and button combination to boot into DOS
but was unsuccessful from f1 to f12 and even combinations I tried all I could find )
So as I did some research on the possible cause. It came to my attention that since I wiped the drive clean and formated it at one point in time, the might not be a boot folder to initiate the boot sequence that is preferred.

That's my theory at the moment (no boot folder"?
If I'm right what next if not what then?

Bhoza

You install Linux.. that's what is next..
I would definitely settle for it now and I even looked around for distros that were beginner-friendly, looked and felt like windows.
Problem I still couldn't boot from the USB

garyc

Expert Member
I would definitely settle for it now and I even looked around for distros that were beginner-friendly, looked and felt like windows.
Problem I still couldn't boot from the USB
With an old computer like that you may want to try booting off an optical disc.