Reward offered for info on cause of deadly Overstrand fire

smi

Rain currently helping with the fires, my house faces the mountain, ocean to my right. I know of a few houses damaged on the far end of Betty's Bay, Kleinmond side. Rain currently pummeling down as I type, huge help, at the right time.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
People I know living in Bettys Bay home is burned down. I have an uncle and cousin with a home there too.

Badly as it is when people who are working in Hermanus received word that they have limited time to evacuate their home on the other side they couldn't get through in time due to a protest blocking the road.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Reports of serious fire damage in Betty's Bay today (amongst other areas), as the dormant fire was forced back with gale-force north-westerly winds:
Edit:
Unfortunately my wind prediction yesterday turned out to be all too true...

Edit #2: Map of active fires yesterday (Fri 11th). See:

Edit: Photo forwarded by a friend who had a close shave in Betty's Bay, minimal damage to house, but garden destroyed:
bd35a0d0-89f1-4297-b701-ee5af4bf2569p[BBay_fire_SH].jpg

Last edited:

schumi

Honorary Master
31 homes destroyed, 28 damaged, as Overberg counts cost of massive fires

Thirty-one homes were destroyed and 28 damaged by three wildfires that raged across the Overberg in the Western Cape on Friday.
Heavy evening rain assisted firefighters, who were able to start counting the cost during the night.

By Saturday morning they were able to report that more than 12,800 hectares of vegetation had been destroyed. No injuries were reported.

"The overnight rain has allowed for rapid cooling of the burn area," said Theo Layne of the City of Cape Town fire and rescue service, which sent firefighters to assist.

More at:
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...ged-as-overberg-counts-cost-of-massive-fires/

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Last edited:

smi

schumi

Honorary Master
Alleged Betty's Bay 'fire starter' a known troublemaker

The man suspected of starting a massive wildfire with a signal flare in Betty’s Bay two weeks ago is well known by the police for his previous convictions, which include house breaking.
Shelton April, 34, appeared in the Caledon Magistrate's Court on Monday when the court was presented with information for a bail hearing next week.
April, who told the court that he is a crayfisherman, had three additional bylaw infringements added to a charge of "causing fire/discard burning object in place where may set fire/act in manner likely to cause fire under the National Environmental Management: Protected Areas Act".
This is after he allegedly shot off a signal flair which landed in the fynbos on the slopes of the Hottentots Holland mountains above Betty’s Bay during New Year’s celebrations.
More at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...bettys-bay-fire-starter-a-known-troublemaker/

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
Alleged Betty’s Bay arsonist has list of previous convictions
Cape Town - Arguments in the bail application for alleged Betty’s Bay arsonist, Sheldon April, will be heard on Friday at the Caledon Magistrates Court.

April, 34, is facing a charge under the Natural Environment Act which carries a fine of R10 million or imprisonment of not more than ten years or both. The second charge is under the Veld and Forest t Act which also carries a heavy sentence. The State is opposing bail.

April is believed to have started the fire by setting off a flare which ignited vegetation in the Overberg District which quickly spread out of control.

https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/new...ist-has-list-of-previous-convictions-18951196

roadcat

Expert Member
Thread necro, but got to see the aftermath of these fires, thanks to an enforced detour as Sir Lowry's pass closed by protest. Thanks guys for a 2 hour detour - really gaining sympathy for your cause :)

Horrible to see all those burnt out houses in such a beautiful spot. Saw lots of rebuilding going on, so hope it will all be restored!

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Thread necro, but got to see the aftermath of these fires, thanks to an enforced detour as Sir Lowry's pass closed by protest. Thanks guys for a 2 hour detour - really gaining sympathy for your cause :)

Horrible to see all those burnt out houses in such a beautiful spot. Saw lots of rebuilding going on, so hope it will all be restored!
Rioting in Botrivier since Thursday. The N2 is opened and closed every 5 minutes since then.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Update from my friend who has a house in the area (paint scorched, but undamaged).

He says that some houses that burned down had asbestos cement roofs. The rebuilding process involves hazardous waste removal crews. Brings home how hard reconstruction is...