Ridiculous Airport Taxes

grantduke

So I recently decided to check for flights using eBucks flight search. So my surprise, there was 1 flight with BA available as a discount flight. Selected with BA for both legs of the flight. Went further to apply the eBucks discount rate, but it didn't make a huge difference until I checked out the cost break down.

Does anyone perhaps know why the Airport Taxes would be R2140.22 whereby the actual base fare is only R461.78 and these costs are for both flights (return)

PS: Both flights with BA was marked as the flights which are eligible for discount.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
So I recently decided to check for flights using eBucks flight search. So my surprise, there was 1 flight with BA available as a discount flight. Selected with BA for both legs of the flight. Went further to apply the eBucks discount rate, but it didn't make a huge difference until I checked out the cost break down.

Does anyone perhaps know why the Airport Taxes would be R2140.22 whereby the actual base fare is only R461.78 and these costs are for both flights (return)

PS: Both flights with BA was marked as the flights which are eligible for discount.
Air travel the airport taxes usually make up a majority of the ticket prices.

Zyk1

Expert Member
Those taxes does sound ridiculous given the actual price of the base fare.
I guess it is what it is

bromster

Expert Member
It all depends on each airline's fare structure, which they can decide for themselves.

You'll probably find that the actual "airport tax" which is charged by Airports Company SA is a few hundred. The rest is all rubbish which they came up with themselves, fuel surcharges etc.

By comparison, Emirates has a much simpler fare structure, so a R6000 ticket consists mainly of the base fare. This is how it should be. As a result, your discount will be greater than the same ticket on BA.

Yet another way airlines can offer a 35% discount without actually giving you a 35% discount.