Ridiculous vehicle interest rate

Theeproff

Hi everyone, I recently discovered that dealership charged me 18.6% interest for 73months. Bought the car in 2016July for R120.000. Any legal advise route I can take to get the contract revised? Your input will be highly appreciated

Tman*

Expert Member
You willingly entered into a Contract, there is no basis to sue, you will look like an idiot

thechamp

Honorary Master
Maximum interest rates are linked to the South African repo rate
(Reserve Banks repurchase rate).

• Home Loans = Repo rate times 2.2 plus 5%.
  • Credit cards, store cards, overdrafts, vehicle loans = repo rate times 2.2 plus 10%.

It looks like everything is above board OP, take it as a good lesson learn and pay careful attention next time.

airborne

Executive Member
Once the op has paid the R120k loan up how much interest would he have paid in total?

thechamp

Honorary Master
I have asked a couple of colleagues how much interest they are paying on their cars, I have been met with blank stares on one or two occasions, it seems some people are just interested in monthly instalments.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Hi everyone, I recently discovered that dealership charged me 18.6% interest for 73months. Bought the car in 2016July for R120.000. Any legal advise route I can take to get the contract revised? Your input will be highly appreciated
Ask them for a settlement figure.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Take it as a lesson learnt and move on.

Now for any contract you sign no matter how small it is, you will read from beginning to the end,

Reactions: rh1

RedViking

Nord of the South
What is a good interest rate?

It might be that OP is also a high liability and was probably below 21 yo at the time? If it plays a role.... Bad credit record?

ShaunyCT

RonSwanson

Expert Member
I'm a good financial risk, always paid my bills even when retrenched. My credit score according to TymeCoach is 720. When I last bought a vehicle on HP (many many years ago), I received an initial quote of prime less .5%. I shopped around and pushed the finance houses and ended up getting prime less 1.5%. My home loans are also at prime less 1.5%.
It is all about risk, if you pay your bills regularly, you are rewarded. If you budget like a zuma you will skip payments, and you will be seen as a higher risk. Likewise with insurance, if you keep claiming, your risk profile increases and you will get higher premiums.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
What is a good interest rate?

It might be that OP is also a high liability and was probably below 21 yo at the time? If it plays a role.... Bad credit record?
based on this: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/car-finance-interest-rates.948849/
14.5%.
From: https://www.southafricanmi.com/average-interest-installment-2jan2019.html
Note yearly figures. No clue if OP means yearly or over the total payment duration.

Wesbank (FNB):
Caps their calculator at 16.5%.