Ridiculously cheap StarSat HD decoder for South Africa

Maxson_N

Interesting.. However, without soccer and cricket it doesn't appeal to me..

acidb

Expert Member
The soccer and cricket have been locked exclusively by multichoice sabc and etv, when those contracts are up for renewal and StarSat can afford it, it will buy the broadcasting rights to do so.

Allin

Expert Member
The decoder might be ridiculously cheap, but I'm not prepared to watch junk in SD, never mind HD. Maybe if the channels get more interesting I will have a look in, but at the moment I will pass

koeksGHT

Dealer
Its very nice but they do need better channels, could then give DSTV a run for its money on lower class market.

JimboBob

Expert Member
Why does the headline refer to it as 'Ridiculously cheap'? Surely current decoders could be priced better?! Kind of implies that DSTV's prices are dead on at R2500 :wtf:

rph72

Executive Member
Thought the HD decoder only price was R300. :what:

deweyzeph

Executive Member
R399 is cheap, but it's hardly ridiculously cheap. R99 for the decoder would be ridiculously cheap.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Other channels that ODM plans to offer which it says are [highlight]brand new to the South African market[/highlight] are: StarSat Novella, StarSat Bollywood, StarSat Kung Fu, Fox FX, and a dedicated NBA channel.
Fox FX and Fox Entertainment, at least the "Africa" variants thereof, have been on TopTV from inception.

I'm surprised that StarSat hasn't tried to reintroduce what was once Fox Retro as a brand new never seen before in South Africa channel.

The HD decoder does however sound like a good deal for R400 and I might well try Star Sat Super[-]ior[/-] if it is available as a prepaid option.

Last edited:

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The HD decoder does however sound like a good deal for R400 and I might well try Star Sat Superior if it is available as a prepaid option.
Surely all pay tv is prepaid anyway? You pay in advance before you watch don't you?

McT

The Humble Scot!
http://starsat.co.za/packages

Nice alterantive but not that competitive.... Sadly Multichoice has the rights on sports.....

btw the website looks actually kinda cool. :)
Yes, easy navigating and aesthetically good too.

R399 is cheap for HD compared to DSTV
Definitely. As StarSat are doing, they intend to make their money back on the monthly content.

R399 is cheap, but it's hardly ridiculously cheap. R99 for the decoder would be ridiculously cheap.
Yup. Ridiculously cheap and incredibly illogical too.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Surely all pay tv is prepaid anyway? You pay in advance before you watch don't you?
I really don't remember how MonoChoice billed for DSTV (up-front or in arrears) since I cancelled DSTV several years ago with extreme prejudice after one too many annual price increases.

TopTV has always billed me up-front for my subscription fee which does make it "prepaid", but TopTV (now StarSat) also has a separate subscription-less voucher based system that TopTV referred to as prepaid. To avoid ambiguity, I stuck to TopTV's prepaid terminology in my previous post (I meant without a subscription/contract), but you are technically correct.

RichardG

Honorary Master
The HD decoder does however sound like a good deal for R400 and I might well try Star Sat Super[-]ior[/-] if it is available as a prepaid option.
Prepaid option will still be available but at the presence moment you will still have to purchase TopTV prepaid voucher at Pep/clicks etc. This time it works differently for example if you purchase the R279 voucher you will be charged per day example 30 day access = R6,44, roughly you will get 42 days access with the R279, something between the lines

meikyo

Question , Why is it that monohoice don't bring out an Hd decoder without pvr capability 300% cheaper.

z6cpo3

Why does the headline refer to it as 'Ridiculously cheap'? Surely current decoders could be priced better?! Kind of implies that DSTV's prices are dead on at R2500 :wtf:
very valid comment Jimbo, i would even go further and say that what is ridiculous is the outrageous price that dstv charges for their decoders and their monthly fees.
in Europe you get 150 channels, with some in HD PLUS phone PLUS uncapped DSL 4 to 8 Mbps for less than 50 euros.
dstv management makes unbelievable profits, drives bentleys and such, forget mercs but i guess as long as their customer dont mind being ripped off, they will continue.
startsat, even with a debatable (very) content is priced a lot more correctly.

JimboBob

Expert Member
very valid comment Jimbo, i would even go further and say that what is ridiculous is the outrageous price that dstv charges for their decoders and their monthly fees.
in Europe you get 150 channels, with some in HD PLUS phone PLUS uncapped DSL 4 to 8 Mbps for less than 50 euros.
dstv management makes unbelievable profits, drives bentleys and such, forget mercs but i guess as long as their customer dont mind being ripped off, they will continue.
startsat, even with a debatable (very) content is priced a lot more correctly.
Ya, I think I was surprised that MyBB went with that headline. I would gone with something like StarSat Shows DSTV how it's done! :)