Riebeek Kasteel, Riebeek Wes, Riebeek Vallei

Madgadd

Hi all,

I did a search but found no results on Riebeek Kasteel.
Currently I live in Randburg and run my business from home. I have a fibre connection, unshaped/un throttled, run video conferencing calls all day everyday except weekends. Kids play online games and stream from Netflix.
At the end of this year we are moving to Riebeek Kasteel. a little research shows I cant get fibre there but can get LTE, but I hear LTE is effected by the weather.
My question is will I be able to run video conferencing calls with confidence from Riebeek Kasteel?
Will I be spending my day driving between Riebeek Kasteel and Durbanville?

I would appreciate your response.

WAslayer

Executive Member
LTE is perfectly capable of handling video conferencing.. however, the ability and the quality thereof would depend on the signal strength and quality you are able to get from your home..

Unless you are testing it, there is no way to know for sure what signal strength and quality you are likely to get..

Maybe someone from riebeek kasteel, if there is anyone on here from there, can comment around the general speed and quality they are getting on LTE..

ronald911

Expert Member
Also keep in mind most good LTE services (Vodacom & MTN) have some sort data cap, which most certainly is not favourable when having to do video calls all day, everyday, but does the job.. be prepared to pay $$$.

You get Rain which is uncapped, but I wouldn't trust them when it comes to video calls - in our experience the connection is usually far too inconsistent and can jump between 0.2mbps and 20mbps in a matter of minutes. Should be 'ok' for the kids to stream and netflix for most part.

Also worth finding out if there's any WISP's in the area that can provide connections with good upload / download speeds. You'll need a decent upload speed for proper video calls.

ronald911

Expert Member
Also, according to the Openserve website, they support up to 20mbps ADSL in most of the town, so that could be another option.

Madgadd

Thanks for the response.
I do have a concern about the cost, currently I pay R1000.00/month for a stable fibre connection.
Hopefully the LTE bundle will not be much worse.

Regards

ronald911

Expert Member
Thanks for the response.
I do have a concern about the cost, currently I pay R1000.00/month for a stable fibre connection.
Hopefully the LTE bundle will not be much worse.

Regards
I currently load balance between Rain (R250) and Afrihost MTN Fixed LTE, capped at 150gb (R800). Use Rain in the mornings and then around 4pm, Rain usually dies / becomes unusable because of tower congestion and I switch over to Afrihost, which is usually 50-100mbps.

I also work from home, but thankfully no more than 1 or 2 calls a month for me, but when I do need to call, I'll use Afrihost LTE regardless what time of the day.

I'm on the KZN South Coast.

Madgadd

Thank you for the suggestion and the advise.
I will have to experiment with various options when I get there.
Thanks again.
Regards

richjdavies

Wapa really need to get with the program? Why is their database not searchable? Crazy to have to email a form for sometime else to look at the database for you!

Looks like breedenet now herotel cover it:

Last edited:

Eric

Honorary Master
At the end of this year we are moving to Riebeek Kasteel. a little research shows I cant get fibre there but can get LTE, but I hear LTE is effected by the weather.
In Riebeek Kasteel specifically?
I've been on LTE for a few years and had no hassle with the weather. Load shedding occasionally, but not the weather.

Madgadd

Are you sure theres not a wisp around there offering wifi? A lot of those farmer towns have some ex-ham radioer who's setup wifi for the whole town...

Google for the win
Thanks I was not aware that there were WISP's in these small towns.
I have only been looking at all the traditional Services Providers trying to find some kind of Solution.

I will explore this option.

Thank you.

Eric

Honorary Master
Which provider..?
Telkom and MTN (Afrihost).
Telkom was good to start with then ended up oversubsdribed. MTN was more consistent. LTE does depend on tower location and subscription numbers unfortunately. I imagine a small place like Riebeek Kasteel should be less an issue with oversubscription, but perhaps short on towers.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
I imagine a small place like Riebeek Kasteel should be less an issue with oversubscription, but perhaps short on towers.
So the few towers they have, would be oversubscribed?
:unsure:

Eric

Honorary Master
So the few towers they have, would be oversubscribed?
:unsure:
Not sure I follow. Is that a statement or a question?
Sure oversubscription could well be an issue, but given that it would be an essential service for many businesses, I'd say they should be OK.

ronald911

Expert Member
Wapa really need to get with the program? Why is their database not searchable? Crazy to have to email a form for sometime else to look at the database for you!

Looks like breedenet now herotel cover it:
Yeap.. Just put a random address from Riebeek Kasteel on Herotel and boom.

Screenshot 2020-10-18 at 17.17.57.png

I've got family, who are heavy users in Jeffreys Bay who use Herotel and they're not complaining. :)

Madgadd

Hi Guys,

I did the same check and are reaching out to Herotel.
Thank you all so much for your help, at least now I have some options. When I move there and do some real world testing I can give some feedback on this Forum.

Once again thank you for all the help.

jezzad

I was in Riebeek Kasteel about a month ago, couldn’t pay for something with the card machine because of the cloud cover affecting the signal on the device.

If you can get fibre go for fibre