Riebeek Kasteel, Riebeek Wes, Riebeek Vallei

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Thanks I was not aware that there were WISP's in these small towns.
I have only been looking at all the traditional Services Providers trying to find some kind of Solution.

I will explore this option.

Thank you.

There are WISPs operating in the middle of the Karoo servicing farms so remote that they don't even have a cellphone signal. So I'm pretty sure there will be at least one or two WISPs servicing that area.

Madgadd

Did you manage with Herotel? I just moved here from Joburg and the internet is driving me mad. Setiously need to get a solution and considering herotel
Hi There, finally arrived in Riebeek Kasteel the 1st of April.
I looked at Herotel last year but dismissed them, cant remember why though.
Next I looked at iBit, but because of negative reviews on Google I have dismissed them.
I liked Draadloos Internet in Wellington, still need to chat to them.

Regards

kavaro

Did you find a workable solution?

I recently moved to Riebeek West. We had a 5mb/s ADSL line that I managed to get upgraded to 20mb/s. It worked well enough for me and I was reliably getting 15 mb/s. Recently though there was a fault or something and it has dropped back to 5 mb/s. Now Telkom is saying 20 mb/s is not feasible due to poor sync speeds. I have been fighting with my ISP to get them to fix this, but no success yet.

I have been looking at other options in the meantime. I had iBits at our house, but that's not feasible because there's no direct line of sight. I've heard good things about them though.

The other option is LTE. MTN gets good coverage in Riebeek West and Kasteel. I get about 70mb/s on my iPad and phone. Cell C and Rain are notably worse. MTN recently launched a Fixed LTE package where you get 1Tb anytime data for about R1000 per month. They have cheaper packages, but these are split between daytime and night-time data. If you buy an LTE router from them up front, you can get these deals on a month-to-month contract. Otherwise it's a 24 month contract (no thank you).

I haven't signed up for this yet so I haven't actually checked that the Fixed LTE works here. Considering MTN's coverage here is good, it is likely.

Problem is that when Kasteel has loadshedding, the cellphone tower goes down. My best solution for this so far is to have a slow/cheap ADSL line as a back-up. That will mean you have fast internet most of the time and slow internet during loadshedding, but at least you are still connected.

Ironically, it seems like there is fibre that runs through Riebeek West and Kasteel. The map attached shows Telkom's fibre coming from Moorreesburg through what looks like Riebeek West and Kasteel, and then doglegging West to Malmesbury. I'm guessing this is for the cellphone tower that's between Riebeek West and Kasteel.

I spoke with someone from Octotel who said that they decide whether to expand fibre networks in an area based on demand. Cities have high density and high demand, so it's a no-brainer. Small towns typically have low demand and low density...If there is enough demand though, they will roll out fibre. Octotel is currently rolling out fibre in Moorreesburg. It seems like there are many younger people moving to the Valley so the demand is likely to increase. Having fibre would also be a big draw.

You can state your interest on Octotel's website (https://www.octotel.co.za/coverage-map/). Search for your address and follow the instructions. Apparently petitioning fibre companies has also worked for some towns. I have no idea how to get something like that started though.

Attachments

• Telkom-fibre-map-2012.jpg
    Telkom-fibre-map-2012.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 7

Madgadd

Did you find a workable solution?

I recently moved to Riebeek West. We had a 5mb/s ADSL line that I managed to get upgraded to 20mb/s. It worked well enough for me and I was reliably getting 15 mb/s. Recently though there was a fault or something and it has dropped back to 5 mb/s. Now Telkom is saying 20 mb/s is not feasible due to poor sync speeds. I have been fighting with my ISP to get them to fix this, but no success yet.

I have been looking at other options in the meantime. I had iBits at our house, but that's not feasible because there's no direct line of sight. I've heard good things about them though.

The other option is LTE. MTN gets good coverage in Riebeek West and Kasteel. I get about 70mb/s on my iPad and phone. Cell C and Rain are notably worse. MTN recently launched a Fixed LTE package where you get 1Tb anytime data for about R1000 per month. They have cheaper packages, but these are split between daytime and night-time data. If you buy an LTE router from them up front, you can get these deals on a month-to-month contract. Otherwise it's a 24 month contract (no thank you).

I haven't signed up for this yet so I haven't actually checked that the Fixed LTE works here. Considering MTN's coverage here is good, it is likely.

Problem is that when Kasteel has loadshedding, the cellphone tower goes down. My best solution for this so far is to have a slow/cheap ADSL line as a back-up. That will mean you have fast internet most of the time and slow internet during loadshedding, but at least you are still connected.

Ironically, it seems like there is fibre that runs through Riebeek West and Kasteel. The map attached shows Telkom's fibre coming from Moorreesburg through what looks like Riebeek West and Kasteel, and then doglegging West to Malmesbury. I'm guessing this is for the cellphone tower that's between Riebeek West and Kasteel.

I spoke with someone from Octotel who said that they decide whether to expand fibre networks in an area based on demand. Cities have high density and high demand, so it's a no-brainer. Small towns typically have low demand and low density...If there is enough demand though, they will roll out fibre. Octotel is currently rolling out fibre in Moorreesburg. It seems like there are many younger people moving to the Valley so the demand is likely to increase. Having fibre would also be a big draw.

You can state your interest on Octotel's website (https://www.octotel.co.za/coverage-map/). Search for your address and follow the instructions. Apparently petitioning fibre companies has also worked for some towns. I have no idea how to get something like that started though.
Hi Kavaro,
Thanks for the info. I have expressed my interest on Octotel's website. I will tell people in Riebeek Kasteel about this and ask them to express their interest and hopefully we can get Fibre at some point.

I talked to a number of people and was not satisfied with the internet coverage in Riebeek Kasteel. I eventually decided to go the ADSL route which will give the family internet at home, but I will not be able to run my business from home. In the interim, I will run to Cape Town and work from a Regus facility there.

kavaro

All the best with Regus. We used to use them and found them to be expensive, but bad. I’m sure there are many alternatives now.

Update to my situation. Openserve came this morning and fixed my internet speed with a single phone call. Based on what they can see, my ISP (Axxess) had set me on a lower speed profile. Axxess‘ response to my queries throughout this whole time was that there was a fault on the line. I don’t know what really happened, but I’m glad to have fast(er) internet again.

The Openserve guy was extremely helpful and we had a great chat. He mentioned that Cornergate has previously installed fibre in smaller towns, Malmesbury included. Apparently it’s only after Cornergate installed in Malmesbury that Openserve got wise and started installing there too.

He also said that PPC have their own fibre line, which confirms my suspicion that there is fibre backhaul in the area...

Madgadd

All the best with Regus. We used to use them and found them to be expensive, but bad. I’m sure there are many alternatives now.

Update to my situation. Openserve came this morning and fixed my internet speed with a single phone call. Based on what they can see, my ISP (Axxess) had set me on a lower speed profile. Axxess‘ response to my queries throughout this whole time was that there was a fault on the line. I don’t know what really happened, but I’m glad to have fast(er) internet again.

The Openserve guy was extremely helpful and we had a great chat. He mentioned that Cornergate has previously installed fibre in smaller towns, Malmesbury included. Apparently it’s only after Cornergate installed in Malmesbury that Openserve got wise and started installing there too.

He also said that PPC have their own fibre line, which confirms my suspicion that there is fibre backhaul in the area...
Hi Kavaro,
I am busy chatting to Jacques Basson from Vinet Internet Solutions, he has informed me thet they have approval from the Riebeek Kasteel municipality to install fibre, if they can drum up enough interest.

I have confirmed that I am interested and they have given me a form to complete. They have not provided timelines yet.

If you are keen you could reach out to Jacques at Vinet.

kavaro

Thanks Madgadd. I've completed Vinet's fibre survey already. Hopefully there's enough demand for them to bring in fibre.