Rift at Westerford High over principal's sanction for prefect's racism

jack_spratt

Expert Member
Cape Town – Westerford High School principal Rob le Roux retires at the end of this term amid allegations that he and management poorly managed and tried to bury a situation involving a prefect who made a racist remark in front of her classmates.
The prefect’s badge was taken away for two weeks, but according to a source, the incident has deeply divided the school, with some feeling she should not still be in a leadership position.
Link

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
True but she was still supposed to be stripped of the prefect title. It does not make sense for her to remain a leader under such circumstances.
Should she even had been punished? Was she even in school uniform?

“Although the incident did not take place during school hours or on school property, the school investigated the matter in terms of their code of conduct.
Also the head of the School Governing Body is black and he was happy with the sanction.

thechamp

Honorary Master

Also the head of the School Governing Body is black and he was happy with the sanction.
Why did you feel you have to tell me the black head of SGB is happy with the sanction?

daveza

Honorary Master
Pointless article - does not refer to what was said, by which race group or aimed at which race group.

I'm guessing if the culprit was white this would have received a lot more media and social media attention....

yebocan

Executive Member
In my school days, you would have been stripped of being prefect for this. You simply can't lead a school body with such attitudes.
correct, bar was high...you slip up , no latitude, .. badge gets stripped from you.... that was only the start of the fun

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
What did the kid say?

It seems like when it comes to racism, you are guilty when accused, and have to prove yourself innocent.

yebocan

Executive Member

and he was also ok with former apartheid spy teaching History at the school...

Principal Rob le Roux says that he has no problem with the former spy teaching history, and SGB chairperson Luyanda Mpahlwa agrees:

“There has been no issue or complaint raised about Mr Brookbanks at SGB level regarding his role and performance.
“As a former Robben Island prisoner myself I recognise that this is the story of South Africa, where we have to face our past, as bitter as it may be, and look at the challenges we face today, find solutions and move forward.
“These are complex matters and we all know that every aspect of society faces the challenge of transformation, including schools.
“At Westerford, we are doing the best we can, but there is no question that as we look at our past, we need to create a future and the history of apartheid needs to be shared in all its facets,” Mpahlwa said.

yebocan

Executive Member
Article comment,

Garbage article. He was a career intelligence officer, who also worked for the ANC post apartheid. He has been transparent about his past, even posting his full career history on his Linkedin account. Not surprising that this is the best IOL can do.
IOL doing what they do best./.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Why did you feel you have to tell me the black head of SGB is happy with the sanction?
Just in case you used "but they (the principal / SGB) would never understand the hurt/pain/offence caused by the remark" angle that is often trotted out in these circumstances.