Right to a statement of account

AntiThesis

Executive Member
So - got contacted via mail today by what appears to be a legitimate company talking about a fender bender someone had driving my car back in Jan 2018. Until today, as far as I knew, it had been settled by insurance and that was pretty much it.

Today, I get an email saying the usual "SETTLE THIS NOW OR COURT" with no amounts, descriptions or explanation. I mailed back asking for a statement and this is the reply:

Good day Sir , "Without Prejudice"

Please note , as everything is done on our system , there is no statement that I can send .

I have sent you a print screen of the first and only payment we have received .

I have not received any other proof of payment for the R730.60 that was suppose to be paid monthly after this .

If you have been making payment , please send me those proofs so I can refer this to finance to try and locate .

Breakdown :

R17534.38

Paid : R8767.00- Received 28.06.2018

Still owed: RR8767.38

Which... I have several questions :laugh:

1) What agreement? Surely there needs to be some proof of this agreement? Also... what agreement?
2) There's no print screen
3) Surely... surely, if you are wanting me to potentially pay you nearly R9k, you need to provide a statement? I wouldn't expect anyone to pay me on the strength of "You must give me money. Here's a (not) screenshot"

Or am I being silly here?

Also... I think I'm going to start inserting "Without Prejudice" into every email I send from now on :ROFL:

• Haha
Reactions: "D"

Crowley

Executive Member
So - got contacted via mail today by what appears to be a legitimate company talking about a fender bender someone had driving my car back in Jan 2018. Until today, as far as I knew, it had been settled by insurance and that was pretty much it.

Today, I get an email saying the usual "SETTLE THIS NOW OR COURT" with no amounts, descriptions or explanation. I mailed back asking for a statement and this is the reply:

Which... I have several questions

1) What agreement? Surely there needs to be some proof of this agreement? Also... what agreement?
2) There's no print screen
3) Surely... surely, if you are wanting me to potentially pay you nearly R9k, you need to provide a statement? I wouldn't expect anyone to pay me on the strength of "You must give me money. Here's a (not) screenshot"

Or am I being silly here?

Also... I think I'm going to start inserting "Without Prejudice" into every email I send from now on :ROFL:
Have you ever dealt with this company before? Sounds to me like a MBD/VVM clone.

acidrain

Executive Member
If you don't know what they are talking about ignore it. Probably a chancer.

As far as a statement, I can maybe agree it is not always possible to provide such. To receive a statement would mean you would have to be on their accounting software and for me, personally, I would not be loading someone on my accounting software if it is not directly related to current or future work (i.e. client )

I also wouldn't wait so long to get my money back as well.

Edit: Check the mail headers for DKIM / DMARC to validate if it is indeed from whom the mail claims it is. Mail spoofing / interception is real. Not every company has dmarc enabled though.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Have you ever dealt with this company before? Sounds to me like a MBD/VVM clone.
Not at all - this is the first communication from them. So now I'm not sure if possibly insurance paid out like half for whatever reason and it just moved on somehow? If there's a debt, I'm not worried about paying it - that's fine. But I do want a proper statement rather than a random email.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
If you don't know what they are talking about ignore it. Probably a chancer.

As far as a statement, I can maybe agree it is not always possible to provide such. To receive a statement would mean you would have to be on their accounting software and for me, personally, I would not be loading someone on my accounting software if it is not directly related to current or future work (i.e. client )

I also wouldn't wait so long to get my money back as well.

Edit: Check the mail headers for DKIM / DMARC to validate if it is indeed from whom the mail claims it is. Mail spoofing / interception is real. Not every company has dmarc enabled though.

Thanks - that's a good point, will check headers :D WRT statement - surely if, as they are claiming, there's already been a payment and they have me listed as owing them, they'd have me on their system?

acidrain

Executive Member
Thanks - that's a good point, will check headers :D WRT statement - surely if, as they are claiming, there's already been a payment and they have me listed as owing them, they'd have me on their system?

Possibly, I can't say for sure as I would hold manual records of it but again I wouldn't leave it for 2 years so naturally I wouldn't load it on my system. Perhaps if it was a 2 year agreement I would and then you would have a statement.

In the interim contact the insurance and find out. Worst case they hand it over to the sheriff who should then have the proof you looking for but as the mail response stands I would just reply and state that without a statement I am not paying.

lkswan747

Expert Member
Not at all - this is the first communication from them. So now I'm not sure if possibly insurance paid out like half for whatever reason and it just moved on somehow? If there's a debt, I'm not worried about paying it - that's fine. But I do want a proper statement rather than a random email.
I suggest you contact your insurance company and advise them and see if they can assist.

Nemesys

Ask them for a copy of the original correspondence and agreement to pay off the balance. Who ever entered into a payment agreement with them is liable for the balance not you.

Spliffcat

Executive Member
Sounds like a scam to me.
As said, send it to your insurance company. Do not enter into any correspondence with them.
And for the love of a case of beer do not admit to any debt whatsoever.

Matt91

Expert Member
@Anglana
images

Last edited: