RIM threatened for helping British police

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Reprisals?

Don't these yobbo's realise that if they continue to use things like Twitter and Faceboob etc to plan their little rampages, that the British guavamint will just get the temporarily shut down...

Electron1

Expert Member
I will do just what I like, go on a rampage etc, but don't you dare invade my Privacy....:wtf:

So it's official - BBM users are a bunch of violent criminals. :p:D:D:D

Oops, I guess it's time to change platforms. ;):p

R13...

Honorary Master
Reprisals?

Don't these yobbo's realise that if they continue to use things like Twitter and Faceboob etc to plan their little rampages, that the British guavamint will just get the temporarily shut down...
The government can easily access twitter and facebook, it is the encrypted BBM that will give them a headache. Government can't monitor that as easily. So it's India all over again, with RIM getting threatened with shutdown unless they hand over private messages.

garp

Executive Member
Threats like this are not acceptable. It would be equally unacceptable for Blackberry to release "encrypted" private communications to the authorities. Blackberry should think very carefully before doing this as they could lose the entire youth market - they're a fickle market, and will drop a brand that's seen to be "snitching" on them instantly.

There's a bigger issue, here, anyway - why would Blackberry retain chat and communications logs? Does this mean that potentially everyone's supposed private BBM chats are compromised? The potential for abuse, both official and unofficial is horrific.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
These idiots are the ones saying "look at us, we are here, we don't want your interference in our lives!" ... and yet most of them are on the dole and social services. Ironic, huh? :D

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Well how about his... I'm going to lose my tits if they DON'T release the data.

Saffers eat yobbos for breakfast so think about that really hard.

hungrybeaver

Expert Member
Get a court order to obtain BBM and be done with it. What are these yobos going to do - loot more small businesses?

The British government should purchase weapons and rubber bullets, sound a warning and if people still carry on, start shooting. This madness needs to end.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
garp, welcome to the big wide world.

RIM will be legally obligated to keep logs of all traffic that goes through their servers, which is exactly what BBM does...

Personally though, if the British government need access to this data to quell this ridiculousness, then I'm all for it. These yobbo's need to be shown where on the pecking order they belong, and its right at the bottom.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Give them all a good damn hiding. Sorry but sitting in corners, this is what you get.

daveza

Honorary Master
I thought these protestors were all poor and unemployed.

But they can afford Blackberrys ?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Rubber bullets and teargas is what they need. And maybe one or two public hangings to show they mean business.

I'm only half joking about the hangings....

Palimino

Expert Member
Threats like this are not acceptable. It would be equally unacceptable for Blackberry to release "encrypted" private communications to the authorities. Blackberry should think very carefully before doing this as they could lose the entire youth market - they're a fickle market, and will drop a brand that's seen to be "snitching" on them instantly.

There's a bigger issue, here, anyway - why would Blackberry retain chat and communications logs? Does this mean that potentially everyone's supposed private BBM chats are compromised? The potential for abuse, both official and unofficial is horrific.

Yes, this. A dangerous precedent could be set if RIM allows the authorities access to the yobs messaging.

JungleBoy

Executive Member
Get a court order to obtain BBM and be done with it. What are these yobos going to do - loot more small businesses?

The British government should purchase weapons and rubber bullets, sound a warning and if people still carry on, start shooting. This madness needs to end.
You know one Muammar Gaddaffi did just that against the rebels in Libya... NATO was there in a flash. Britain being one prominent member of NATO can ill afford such hypocrisy...:erm:

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Phone companies keep phone calls, email servers keep emails, its been like this since forever. I'm fine with it so long as proper procedure is carried out. Ie, they need to have the name and number of a suspect. They cant just say to RIM "please do all of our work for us and give us the details of anyone involved in rioting. thx bye."

And they need a warrant, so that there is proper oversight. But yeah, I'm fine with RIM keeping this information and turning it over, so long as procedure is followed, like I said.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
You know one Muammar Gaddaffi did just that against the rebels in Libya... NATO was there in a flash. Britain being one prominent member of NATO can ill afford such hypocrisy...:erm:

Rubber bullets from a police force controlled by an legally elected government, or steel tipped bullets from an army controlled by a mad dictator.

C'mon JungleBoy, even you can do that maths.

Shayd

Expert Member
Someone needs to let loose the hounds of hell against these people, there needs to be respect(read fear yes fear) of the law should these incidents occur. I wonder what would happen if people who weren't rioting were to organise and beat the bejeezus out of these rioters whether the police would step in.

Bern

Expert Member
These idiots are the ones saying "look at us, we are here, we don't want your interference in our lives!" ... and yet most of them are on the dole and social services. Ironic, huh? :D

I can't believe these ******s take themselves seriously?! If you're on the dole you are officially too lazy to work, there are so many simple jobs in the UK. Mop floors FFS, stop whinging. I think we should send some big guys from Pretoria to take on these idiots in the street, see how tough they are then. Actually I have an even better idea, we should set up a relocation program for the thugs, they can come work in SA townships as a punishment, see how far they get trying to cause trouble there...