RIM upset by Steve Jobs lies

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
(Reuters) - Apple Inc appears to be deliberately distorting the issues surrounding the iPhone 4's antenna design by asserting that Research In Motion's BlackBerry has similar reception problems, RIM said.

"Apple's attempt to draw RIM into Apple's self-made debacle is unacceptable," RIM co-Chief Executives Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie said in a statement emailed late Friday.

"Apple's claims about RIM products appear to be deliberate attempts to distort the public's understanding of an antenna design issue and to deflect attention from Apple's difficult situation."

Since the June 24 launch of the iPhone 4, some users have reported drastically reduced signal strength when they held the touch-screen phone a certain way, leading to dropped calls.

In response to the complaints Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said Friday the entire smartphone industry shared such reception problems, naming specifically Research in Motion, Samsung Electronics and HTC Corp.

At a rare, 90-minute press conference, Jobs maintained there were no problems with the iPhone 4's wraparound antenna design and accused the media of trying to "tear down" a company that had grown so successful.

"This is life in the smartphone world. Phones aren't perfect. Most every smartphone we tested behaved like this," Jobs said.

In response of Jobs' comments, RIM's co-chief executives issued a statement defending the BlackBerry's design and criticizing Apple's approach to dealing with the iPhone 4's antenna issue.

"RIM has avoided designs like the one Apple used in the iPhone 4 and instead has used innovative designs which reduce the risk for dropped calls, especially in areas of lower coverage," they said.

"One thing is for certain, RIM's customers don't need to use a case for their BlackBerry smartphone to maintain proper connectivity," the statement said.

RIM, based in Waterloo, Ontario, was referring to Jobs' offer to provide iPhone 4 users with free phone cases to address the reception complaints.

Apple, based in Cupertino, California, could not be reached immediately to comment.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE66H1O220100718

I would be upset as well.

oronte

Expert Member
According to a poll on Crackberry 80% of users simply couldn't replicate the problem Apple claims the 9700 has.

Pilgrim

Wugger
"One thing is for certain, RIM's customers don't need to use a case for their BlackBerry smartphone to maintain proper connectivity," the statement said.
Roflmao, that is such a slap in the face.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Don't speak ill of Steve Blowjobs. Them Apple fanboys seem to liken it to attacking their mom.

alternate

Expert Member
No matter what I do I can't get my 9700 to drop any bars.
I don't know what Apple was thinking showing people that holding anyother phone would make it loose reception like their abortion of an external antenna.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Blackberry owners, try the following: change the "5 Bar" reception display to signal power dBM with this trick. This will show you exactly how much signal you are getting.

Now you should notice how the reception drops, depending on how you hold your phone, you can get up to 15dB loss. All phones do this! The fact that your "bars" aren't changing probably indicates that you have good reception.

The iPhone 4 is simply more susceptible to this kind of signal loss, up to 24dB when held tightly. This all from Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

AnandTech also found out that while the iPhone 4 suffers from its external antenna design, it also benefits greatly from it. In areas with very low signal (-113 dBm), the iPhone 4 performs much better than the iPhone 3GS. "I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use."

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
The phone design also matter a lot.

In the basement of my company's building, my LG KS360 refused to pick up any signal (CellC).

However, a Nokia 5230 and Nokia 6680 picks up a good signal (2 to 3 bars) without any problems (also CellC).

battletoad

Expert Member
Anandtech are slowly becoming apple lovers, their apple articles over the last year have been increasingly become biased, eg reporting on how much the iphone and ios4 is better than any android handset out there.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
I don't find them biased. All their conclusions are based on fact. eg. The EVO 4g has poor performing software and battery life, that's why it was rated poorly. The iPhone 4 has the best smartphone battery life, and most responsive software, the biggest reason it's rated highly. Anand rates the Nexus one as his fav Android phone.

K

kingrob

If I hold my iPhone 3G in the "death grip"....it absolutely looses zero signal bars.

Enough said.

sand_man

Honorary Master
If I hold my erect pen is in the death grip it loses 50% of its rigidity.
Emuff said.

hammell

Don't speak ill of Steve Blowjobs. Them Apple fanboys seem to liken it to attacking their mom.
Not so - I would probably be described as a big fan of Apple but the latest issue has not been handled very well. In fact it's made me now not buy one - I'll wait till the iPhone 4g or whatever it will be... Sticking with my 3gs thanks very much...

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
It's not only the other fruit bunch that responded, HTC also took them on since Steve had one of their phones featured in his slide show (http://www.gsmarena.com/antenna_wars_rim_htc_and_nokia_strike_back_at_apple-news-1819.php). Just for good measure the folks over at the company that connects people also gave Jobs and others that believe phones should look pretty and not necessarily work, the following to think about : "As you would expect from a company focused on connecting people, we prioritize antenna performance over physical design if they are ever in conflict."

Today it seems Samsung and Motorola (networks division recently acquired by the company that connects people) are having their swing at Steve : http://www.gsmarena.com/antennagate_aint_over_samsung_and_motorola_respond_too-news-1821.php

Yes, life is a lot more interesting when you are not just pouncing on a single friendly company in Redmond - enjoy Steve - we can't get enough of [-]Bushism[/-] [-]Malemaism[/-] Jobsism :D