Rising damp

Dolby

Honorary Master
Hi,

I'm getting a damp proof guy to come see wtf is wrong with my house (he should come tomorrow to quote me) - but I thought others here may have some sort of idea of what I can expect ...

So I've been in my little place 8 years - this appears to have started a week (or 2 or 3) ago.
The damp appears to be rising up the floor (my carpet is wet and smelly) in the corner of the room
It borders the kitchen, but I don't think there are any pipes between the two - the sink or no appliances are on that wall
There is a main pipe running in the garden outside - but the meter doesn't turn ... so it appears no leak
In the last week or so that I've known abut it, it seems to get worse with the rain

Any advise ?

1556174578628.png

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Costly, but there are some pros out there that have thermal imaging cameras/devices that can tell you if it is rising or not, and from where. Others have simple Builders Warehouse tools that they offer pro advice with. If you are paying less than R2500 for this person to come see you, it is the latter.

biena

Executive Member
He's coming around at no charge ... he needs to know what he's dealing with before giving me a quote :

https://www.dampproofingjohannesburg.com/#
Looking at the whois record

Updated Date: 2018-10-30T14:28:07
Creation Date: 2018-10-30T11:59:33

... careful.

Taking a second look at that site, the about leads nowhere just an blurb about what damp is.

Damp Proofing Johannesburg – get a quote for your damp proofing from a local contractor in Johannesburg.
This leads me to believe they are just a referrer to a local business, so who is actually coming out ?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Looking at the whois record

Updated Date: 2018-10-30T14:28:07
Creation Date: 2018-10-30T11:59:33

... careful.

Taking a second look at that site, the about leads nowhere just an blurb about what damp is.

This leads me to believe they are just a referrer to a local business, so who is actually coming out ?
Good point ...

I just filled out the form and someone phoned me