Road Bully, Coward - If I could find this guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jola

Honorary Master
What is the legal definition of being "close"? And considering how heavy traffic is these days, moving to the left and then expecting to get space to slot into the right lane again safely is naive no?

Yes.common courtesy on urban roads is very rare nowadays, people just don't let you in.

So for a nervous driver to move to the right lane a bit early for an upcoming right turn is fine.

So IMO the bakkie driver needs to get an official warning from the cops.

However, we are in Africa, and that doesn't happen here, you need to go to the rest of the world to have such procedures in place.

Jola

Honorary Master
Except in cape town! Exits on highways there ARE on the right as well!

Seriously?
Like Where?
Not being funny i just want to see what they marked the road as i know i have come across in CPT (and at least one in Jo burg) where the highway sort of abruptly ends and there is a robot - but the end of highway signs appear before hand.
Also You get interchanges where the middle becomes the left or right of the other highways.

You messed up the quoting on my post so it kinda merged with yours BTW

Cape town drivers are terrible, they have a very noticeable tendency to tailgate, for no good reason.

Must be a lot of rear-end accidents there.

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
These guys do have some sort of complex

I was being tailgated on the highway by a ranger with what appeared to be a lift kit and what almost looked like knobbies, so the closer he got the faster I went past 160 then I decided to put my foot down and out drove him, he later stopped a lane or two away from me at a toll literally shaking the whole bakkie as he was screaming and shouting at me, must have felt soooooo bad that a Corsa could outrun his precious bakkei.

ubercal

Expert Member

I was being tailgated on the highway by a ranger with what appeared to be a lift kit and what almost looked like knobbies, so the closer he got the faster I went past 160 then I decided to put my foot down and out drove him, he later stopped a lane or two away from me at a toll literally shaking the whole bakkie as he was screaming and shouting at me, must have felt soooooo bad that a Corsa could outrun his precious bakkei.
:D

Jola

Honorary Master

Yeah, I have seen this, a lot of people need professional help !

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
Yeah, I have seen this, a lot of people need professional help !

Yeah, although if he had road tires on I reckon he could have kept up as he seems to top out at 165 - 170 and I could hit 190 200 down a hill, and he kept at it for a long stretch.

Jola

Honorary Master
Yeah, although if he had road tires on I reckon he could have kept up as he seems to top out at 165 - 170 and I could hit 190 200 down a hill, and he kept at it for a long stretch.

Yeah, well, he is kitted out for off-road, and then tries to race on the highways. Probably quite dangerous, his vehicle is too high, and the tyres are likely not rated for higher speeds.

Also, on a vehicle like that you need decent brakes to drive at speed, and the brake calipers then require 19" or 20" rims (min 18"), which I am very sure that he did not have, so no decent braking.

Idiots born every minute, and they let them on the roads !

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
Yeah, well, he is kitted out for off-road, and then tries to race on the highways. Probably quite dangerous, his vehicle is too high, and the tyres are likely not rated for higher speeds.

Also, on a vehicle like that you need decent brakes to drive at speed, and the brake calipers then require 19" or 20" rims (min 18"), which I am very sure that he did not have, so no decent braking.

Idiots born every minute, and they let them on the roads !

That's something I forgot to mention yeah that bakkie had a lekker lift on it, can't remember how much but it was significantly higher than normal but it seemed stable, tracked straight and true and didn't have any wobbliness or bounce so it must have been a very expensive proper setup there, don't think the guy would have had the balls to do that speed if it wasn't so stable.

I remember what 110 felt like in those very old factory Hiluxes from the 90's, you'll schite yourself, one of these:

b510a24829d08c18ad31d02d170049e31028869575bd049697ac601027e7f53b3a0dccfa8.jpeg

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
/Wall of text.
Speeding is illegal.
You are allowed to overtake on the left
I am entitled to stick to the right if my intention is to exit on the right.
Stop defending the indefensible.

Technically it's only illegal when you go 40km/h over the indicated speed.

Until then it's just a civil matter and therefore the fine instead of the court case.

/technicalities.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Technically it's only illegal when you go 40km/h over the indicated speed.

Until then it's just a civil matter and therefore the fine instead of the court case.

/technicalities.
How does it being a civil or criminal matter impact legality?

Last edited:

mattrudlles

Expert Member
My daughter is a new driver, obeys the rules, has an "L" on her rear window. On her way home in Pretoria North this afternoon. Driving at the speed limit in the right lane in a suburban area because she needs to turn right.

******* in a big Toyota Hilux is right on her bumper. Has his family in the car. Drives so close up behind my daughter that his car fills her whole rear window.

Intimidates her all the way along the road. She is nervous as hell but there are cars in the left lane so she can't move out of the f&%cks way, and she has to turn.

He gets into the left, crosses in front of her and slams on brakes. She is now so distraught and has to brake hard.

He stops and refuses to move. She is terrified he is going to get out and shoot her or hurt her.

Eventually she gets into the left lane and passes him but he folows her until she turns.

Phones me, sobbing and traumatised.

Wish I could find him...really.
Open a charge of reckless and negligent driving, with harassment.

mattrudlles

Expert Member
Yet it’s perfected legal and encouraged for people to flash their lights to overtake.

It’s actually a courtesy according to the law.

It’s also not your place to measure other people’s speed.
There is a difference between flashing another drive, and raging up behind them and flashing like a lunatic. The latter is reckless and negligent, the former is a legal sign for the other driver to please move into the left lane if safe to do so.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Seriously?
Like Where?
Not being funny i just want to see what they marked the road as i know i have come across in CPT (and at least one in Jo burg) where the highway sort of abruptly ends and there is a robot - but the end of highway signs appear before hand.
Also You get interchanges where the middle becomes the left or right of the other highways.

You messed up the quoting on my post so it kinda merged with yours BTW

Plenty of examples in CT where this issue existed. Fixed to a large extent these days by creating overpasses, etc and moving the end of freeway sign. :cool::laugh:

Yes, I saw that. Not me, but the Stooopid smart device I used when quoting your post! fixed.

isie

Honorary Master
Plenty of examples in CT where this issue existed. Fixed to a large extent these days by creating overpasses, etc and moving the end of freeway sign. :cool::laugh:

Yes, I saw that. Not me, but the Stooopid smart device I used when quoting your post! fixed.
then again it is Capetown takes a while to get roads sorted.

Q:How long does it take to build an overpass in Capetown
A: 41 years and counting

Rustie

Get her a dashcam, preferably one that records front and rear.

I got one myself because the average SAfrican is a degenerate piece of **** when they get behind the wheel.

This 100%.
The second you have an incident like that recorded, you open a case at the police for reckless and negligent driving.
Next you ask the investigating police officer to find out which insurance he is with and inform them. They will either drop and blacklist you or raise your premium.
Next you open a civil case for attempted murder, and provide the same footage - you probably won't be able to make that fly, but the money it will cost him to defend it will give him serious second thoughts on his on-the-road life choices.

How do I know this all? Buddy is going through the same thing. He was the @#$%. Cost him in the region of R20k thus far. They retracted the civil case after he went to their home, hat in hand to apologise to the wife and child that was in the other car. They are not retracting the reckless and negligent charge, he will have to face the music for that in September this year - he will plead guilty and hope for the best. They suspect a lengthy license suspension at minimum. Days of Uber is in his future.

Get a dashcam - it costs almost nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.