Robbery at Samsung service partner in Woodmead

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Like I said in the other thread, the responsibility to insure any electronic goods rests on the owner of the goods. The service centre should have their own insurance, but that would always be regarded as secondary to the owners insurance. The service centre likely also has an exclusion clause (which the customers sign) that excludes liability in the event of theft.

In the case of a robbery, the owners would claim on their own all risks insurance and the insurance companies in turn would claim from the service centre.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
All Electronics?

I have seriously never dealt with such an unprofessional bunch of idiots before.

They didn't even know how to answer the phone, the one time I tried to do business with them, about 3 years ago.

I'm not saying insurance scam, but...insurance scam?

kianm

Honorary Master
Surely there should be insurance against such, and the affected customers get compensated accordingly ?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Like I said in the other thread, the responsibility to insure any electronic goods rests on the owner of the goods. The service centre should have their own insurance, but that would always be regarded as secondary to the owners insurance. The service centre likely also has an exclusion clause (which the customers sign) that excludes liability in the event of theft.

In the case of a robbery, the owners would claim on their own all risks insurance and the insurance companies in turn would claim from the service centre.
My PC screen does not travel. so it would fall under household content insurance. So now if I take it in for repair, do I insure it for that time period under another manner?

StevenC

Expert Member
I don't know what's worse.

The repair center keeping people in the dark, or the dumba$$ criminals that would steal BROKEN devices.

The best thing that could happen is Samsung stepping in and replacing the goods. The sucky part is that people's data will have been lost.

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master

I'm sure those disclaimers mean nothing. As far as I'm concerned, I trust then to take care of my goods they are repairing. Their insurance should fit the bill.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Typical Samsung. A few Apple devices get stolen from stores, and now Samsung have to get their stuff robbed too. When will it end?

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
How can Samsung not give a comment about replacement due to an ongoing criminal investigation. Every company would have theft and risk insurance, and I do believe that once you hand over your goods for repair/warranty the responsibility resides with that party.

I am wondering if Samsung/their service partner has kept proper tracking of all goods or if perhaps as part of the robbery this information was lost/stolen/destroyed as well? I checked with my insurance (Santam) and they would pay for in-transit items (such as laptop, phones), but they would shift liability to Samsung if my appliance was in repair.

falcon786

Executive Member
The sucky part is that people's data will have been lost.
Generally the onus is on the customer to back up his data before handing in a device for repair in normal situations so this shouldn't be an issue at all unless you were willing to pay Samsung the R300 odd back up charge they impose for backing up your data.

xera

Expert Member
Those feckers at Apple will probably sue Samsung for copying their model again
Didn't the Samsung robbery happen first, or at least before the robbery at iStore Centurion.

If they've got the criminals on CCTV running 'round corners then Samsung is screwed.
LOL.

Samsung better finish their investigation fast and replace the peoples devices, otherwise it's going to be very bad for business.