Robotic Vacuum Cleaners - Reviews and Suggestions

GreenFanta

Hello all!

So I've been doing a fair amount of research, trying to decide what Robotic Vacuum cleaner to buy. I frequent the beach and would love something that can just clean up the sand I always walk in to the house. Anyone who has looked at buying a Robotic cleaner in South Africa knows that the (real) entry level cleaners (Xiaomi) start around R5000+

I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these Taurus Striker Mini Robotic Cleaners (https://www.takealot.com/taurus-14-4v-striker-mini-automatic-vacuum-cleaner-red/PLID46907440 ), they have a pretty good review and the videos I've seen of them show them behaving well for a budget Robotic Cleaner at this price (moreover, hopefully Black Friday will cause the price to drop). My biggest concern is the overall lack of maintenance equipment available for the Taurus Striker. There doesn't seen to be any locally available replacement filters, nor mops, which seems kind of sucky. I'm sure one could get the filter to last quite a while if cleaned properly, however, I know I'll end up destroying the mop piece.

The Xiaomi Mi Robot Vacuum seems to retail upward of 5.5k and is self docking, good battery life with some really good reviews, but a price much higher than that of a high range vacuum cleaner. It does come with an app and it claims to remember the environment it vacuums in, which is really impressive if true.

The top-tier hard floor only ILIFE V3s Pro seems to be the a very sought after machine. Which retails at Roomba level price, starting at around 7.5k and doesn't have nearly as many bells and whistles as you would think (for the price tag). It has scheduling capabilities, but no environment memory capabilities, which is quite sad. But according to the reviews I've read, it has amazing suction. Oh, and apparently it requires a weekly filter change.

What Vacuums have you guys got experience with or are wanting to try out and what are your solutions to the problem we seem to have with a general lack of spare parts available locally?

I'd really like some advice here because I'm going on reviews and a lot of theory.

Park@82

Honorary Master
The Xiaomi seems to be the best value for money form what I have seen. They can be had for under R5k if you keep an eye open for specials. Smartphone shop had them for R4900 but I see they are out of stock now.

AlmightyBender

Expert Member
Don't get the Taurus, you will have disappoint sure to the small capacity and hassle of charging it etc. It feels the same as effort as sweeping or vacuuming.

Xiaomi at minimum, else you defeating the purpose.

What you really really want is the ones that empty their chambers themselves. Buy once cry once.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
I got an iLife V5 Pro a while back and @R4000 for vacuum and mop I'm loving it. Place has never been cleaner.
It uses an algorithm to randomly move around as far as I understand. As opposed to the intelligent room mapping that some cleaners have. It does a thorough job though.
Generally has no problem getting back to the charging dock once it's done.
Comes with a handy dandy remote which lets you, among other things, set a daily cleaning time. It now starts the same time my alarm goes off in the morning. It's not too noisy in my opinion, but it's fairly difficult for me to stay sleeping once there's some activity in my place.
I do not see it ever working well for anything but hard floors (maybe thin carpets), and a stray sock can be the end of a cleaning session until you rescue it. Let alone a rug. Keeping my floors clean has never been as easy so if you only have hard floors like me - I highly recommend it.

spiff

Executive Member
I bought a cheap China job just to test out the idea.
Surprised it works very well.
Self charging
Wet mop
Can't read the broken English instructions yet to set daily schedules.

When it wears out I'll upgrade to the Xiaomi.

SAguy

Expert Member
I'm waiting for the Kobold Vorwerk VR300 to come into the country. We have their hand vacuum and they really do seem to have great products.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I would like to have the Xiaomi. But my house small and I have too much stuff standing around. Not sure if it is robot friendly.

GreenFanta

The Xiaomi seems like the best option given the price and quality. Xiaomi products as a whole have always been affordable with surprisingly good quality.

I'm going to wait and see what happens on Black Friday, maybe get myself a Xiaomi on a nice discount.

But at the same time I'm going to buy a cheappy from banggood just to mess around with. I would love to be able to access some sort of API (or just stick an Arduino on it) although I'm sure it'll be harder than it sounds. And although some of the lower end bots don't have Ladar, there are many graph functions/algorithms that are guaranteed to cover an entire area, just not efficiently.

I would like to have the Xiaomi. But my house small and I have too much stuff standing around. Not sure if it is robot friendly.
From the videos I've seen, it works around clutter pretty well. My main concern is that it turns in to more of a sock finder than anything else.

RedViking

Nord of the South
From the videos I've seen, it works around clutter pretty well. My main concern is that it turns in to more of a sock finder than anything else.
Well I don't chuck my socks on the floor. I prefer to have a good and peaceful marriage. :p

Awesum

Expert Member
The Xiaomi is on special currently. R4799

Grant

Honorary Master
I'm waiting for the Kobold Vorwerk VR300 to come into the country. We have their hand vacuum and they really do seem to have great products.
i have a kobold upright cleaner.
incredible design for functionality

SAguy

Expert Member
i have a kobold upright cleaner.
incredible design for functionality
They really are good products hey - not cheap, but really good.
Really hoping they bring the VR300 in, if not I have to find a better Christmas gift for the wife

mic_y

Expert Member
had the xiaomi S50 for about a year and a bit and very happy with it

Park@82

Honorary Master
My mini review on the Xiaomi:

Messugga

Honorary Master
Does anyone know where to buy the Roborock vacuums? As far as I have it there's been a name change from Xaiomi on some models and it looks like this has created a bit of a mess in terms of stock availability.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Does anyone know where to buy the Roborock vacuums? As far as I have it there's been a name change from Xaiomi on some models and it looks like this has created a bit of a mess in terms of stock availability.
Takealot?
It's called the xiaomi robot vacuum now.