Robotic Vacuum Cleaners - Reviews and Suggestions

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Damn.. pay day and a bit needs to hurry up and people need to get stock at reasonable prices...

I do have one question though, in terms of its ability to climb over obstacles, I have a security gate on my passage door, and the runner isn't recessed into the floor... would one of these little beauties be able to climb over that runner and vacuum up in the rest of the house?
How tall is it?

It climbs a carpet of mine that is at least 1cm thick very easily as well as multiple other barriers with scissor doors etc.

Only time I would imagine it will be a problem is with the mop on (which they mention specifically) as it can’t drop its ass down then.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
How tall is it?

It climbs a carpet of mine that is at least 1cm thick very easily as well as multiple other barriers with scissor doors etc.

Only time I would imagine it will be a problem is with the mop on (which they mention specifically) as it can’t drop its ass down then.
I think its within the 2cm height limit, but its of course very narrow....

Right now I can't justify the price of a robotic vacuum cleaner, but it will happen eventually.... this manually vacuuming the house every week is annoying now.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Want to pull the trigger for the Roborock S5 Max tomorrow, but considering taking this locally:

Any thoughts or feedback from you guys would be appreciated
I honestly couldn’t justify paying R3000 more for that.

The laser guidance really isn’t all that.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So I replaced my mi robot vacuum with the the mi robot vacuum mop.

In terms of cleaning they both are similar except the mop function actually makes a difference as we primarily have tiles and laminated flooring.

I actually miss the laser guidance on the original as the new one almost bashes into the walls. Hopefully this will get better as the robot builds the map. Apparently it can do zone clean ups once it has set the map.
Bit worried though when I have to try it on the upstairs level hopefully it picks up the ledge.

Another plus for the new vacuum mop is that you can wash the filter, don't think you could wash the older filters.
Huh? They very specifically say you shouldn’t wash it...right there on the filter as well as I recall.

Don’t know what you mean with bashing into walls? I haven’t seen any worrying behaviour that would concern me.

It does test things with the bumper here and there but hardly what I would call bashing.

Take 3/4 chaos theory cleans before the map is built and then it’s all good.

If anything my only complains relate to the app, not the hardware.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Als

Looking at getting this as well, Is the bottom of the vacuum hard plastic or does it have a rubber bumper since it hits everything?

Don't think I can pay R8k just for the LDAS Sensor when I can pay R4.8k for the non-Pro which has the same features with the other only differences being the tank and battery capacity
And you shouldn’t.

The battery also isn’t a big deal as mine runs for near two hours on a charge.

Not quite sure what the relevance of the bottom is? The front is however is hard plastic that is a spring loaded bumper.

I haven’t seen any “bashing” where I would consider it damaging itself. It seems to be working perfectly as designed.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I think its within the 2cm height limit, but its of course very narrow....

Right now I can't justify the price of a robotic vacuum cleaner, but it will happen eventually.... this manually vacuuming the house every week is annoying now.
I have these rails that it speeds over without any worry.

I reckon twice as tall it would still do it happily.

Sumen

Expert Member
And you shouldn’t.

The battery also isn’t a big deal as mine runs for near two hours on a charge.

Not quite sure what the relevance of the bottom is? The front is however is hard plastic that is a spring loaded bumper.

I haven’t seen any “bashing” where I would consider it damaging itself. It seems to be working perfectly as designed.
Its plastic but there is a rubber lip at the bottom. I wouldn't say its that bad - its just not as good as the laser.
Thanks for feedback, as SauRoNZA mentioned, I was concerned about the vacuum damaging itself.

Regarding the battery I'm not concerned about that as I read that if it needs to charge during a cleaning session it will go back to the dock and once charged it will resume cleaning from the last spot that it stopped at.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Does it auto-empty? I'm very keen for they feature. Seems like a no-brainer to me, if yoh want the process fully automated. I'm not keen on emptying the thing every day. Then I'd rather haul out the massive standard vacuum and do it myself...
Really quick and easy to empty the bin on the Xiaomi. And yes you really only change every 3rd to 5th use depending on your size of house and amount of hairy pets..

Last edited:

ele33

Expert Member
Huh? They very specifically say you shouldn’t wash it...right there on the filter as well as I recall.

Don’t know what you mean with bashing into walls? I haven’t seen any worrying behaviour that would concern me.

It does test things with the bumper here and there but hardly what I would call bashing.

Take 3/4 chaos theory cleans before the map is built and then it’s all good.

If anything my only complains relate to the app, not the hardware.
Page 12 of the manual says water can be used to clean the filter?

I was comparing the bumping of the walls to the previous model I had, I wasn't saying its terrible but there is a noticeable difference.

Used it again today, and it's doing a really good job, happy with the vacuum mop.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Page 12 of the manual says water can be used to clean the filter?

I was comparing the bumping of the walls to the previous model I had, I wasn't saying its terrible but there is a noticeable difference.

Used it again today, and it's doing a really good job, happy with the vacuum mop.
Yeah I see that now. And the filter itself says it must just be dry before use.

Not sure where I got the impression it must be replaced more often and can’t be washed.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Really quick and easy to empty the bin on the Xiaomi. And yes you really only change every 33rd to 5th use depending on your size of house and amount of hairy pets..
Yeah they recommend once a week but I checked mine now purely due to this conversation and likely it could have gone for two.

With the regular maintenance cleaning it should in theory have less work to do and stuff to pick up on subsequent days.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Want to pull the trigger for the Roborock S5 Max tomorrow, but considering taking this locally:

Any thoughts or feedback from you guys would be appreciated
Really tempted to "upgrade" to this from my gen 1 but then I came across this post https://www.gizmochina.com/2020/05/...-with-dual-5mp-surveillance-cameras-launched/

I won't use the mop function as its too manual and the T7 seems to have the same big battery as the first gen (5200mah) which is a necessity for me. On the medium setting my first gen just about makes it throughout the entire house before the battery drops too low and it needs to recharge.

The nerfed versions currently available will probably take double the amount of time to clean my place due to needing to charge halfway.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Really tempted to "upgrade" to this from my gen 1 but then I came across this post https://www.gizmochina.com/2020/05/...-with-dual-5mp-surveillance-cameras-launched/

I won't use the mop function as its too manual and the T7 seems to have the same big battery as the first gen (5200mah) which is a necessity for me. On the medium setting my first gen just about makes it throughout the entire house before the battery drops too low and it needs to recharge.

The nerfed versions currently available will probably take double the amount of time to clean my place due to needing to charge halfway.
The things those poor chinese guys are going to see...

MaximusZA

I have been searching for a decent robovac as well, i found this on one of the review videos for the Xiaomi's, i am not sure if its the same models as the ones we get here but it seems the water tanks leak which i am pretty sure will cut the life span of these quite short, but here is a fix if you are looking for one

https://vacuumspain.com/en/2020/04/fix-water-problems-in-xiaomi-mijia-2-in.html

I also see loot has the 360 clearners as well which look to perform a bit better than the Xiaomi's according to this video

from all the reviews i've watched the Roborock's, high end Roomba's and Shark's look to be the best... all of which we dont get here.

Speedster

Executive Member
I have been searching for a decent robovac as well, i found this on one of the review videos for the Xiaomi's, i am not sure if its the same models as the ones we get here but it seems the water tanks leak which i am pretty sure will cut the life span of these quite short, but here is a fix if you are looking for one

https://vacuumspain.com/en/2020/04/fix-water-problems-in-xiaomi-mijia-2-in.html

I also see loot has the 360 clearners as well which look to perform a bit better than the Xiaomi's according to this video

from all the reviews i've watched the Roborock's, high end Roomba's and Shark's look to be the best... all of which we dont get here.
Honestly, I don't really see how one can improve on the functionality of the standard Xiaomi. I guess the self-emptying is a nice add-on but my guys does exactly what I want. Or maybe I'm missing something?

MaximusZA

Honestly, I don't really see how one can improve on the functionality of the standard Xiaomi. I guess the self-emptying is a nice add-on but my guys does exactly what I want. Or maybe I'm missing something?
from the reviews i've watched the reviewers mostly look at power or how well they pickup debris on different surfaces, battery life and navigation. additional features like the self emptying come into it but only at the high end $1000 + side of things.

Speedster

Executive Member
from the reviews i've watched the reviewers mostly look at power or how well they pickup debris on different surfaces, battery life and navigation. additional features like the self emptying come into it but only at the high end $1000 + side of things.
On those first 3 points the Xiaomi does more than adequately. Given, I only have hard floors so there's that but I use barely 50% battery on just over 100m2 and navigation is sweet. I'm sure all those can be improved upon, so not doubting you get better, just wondering how much "better" the better is.

Speedster

Executive Member
Out of interest, if any of you have pets, do they chase the thing around?
We have two dogs a Staffie and 'n so-called Borderdor (cross between labrador and border-collie). Anyway, they were very aware of the robot when we first got it, but now they simply ignore it.