Robotic Vacuum Cleaners - Reviews and Suggestions

chickenbeef

Executive Member
The things those poor chinese guys are going to see...
Yeah, see the first comment on that article:

Cool. Live streaming, have been waiting for that. Hopefully next generation will have gas-, smoke-, temperature sensor, water leaking sensors. It will be able to integrate with other sensors. If someone brake in to the house and an alarm goes off, the robot will be able to investigate and send pictures. Face detector and interact with people in household. Voice control.
Possibilites are endless if you root it :ROFL:

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Out of interest, if any of you have pets, do they chase the thing around?
Nope. 2 cats (playful 5 month old kittens) and 2 dogs. They are not bothered with it. Just watches it move past them or get out of the way when needed.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
It appears it was very low stock as I grabbed it and immediately after it was gone.

Then it appeared on Takealot the next day for R200 less but then that is also gone and now a third party is fleecing people for double the price.

Granted this is my first Robot Vacuum and so the point of reference is lacking but I'm amazingly impressed with it so far. Plan to do a little review of it but give it some time.

What I didn't realise when buying it is that this one doesn't come with the laser guidance, it seems as a compromise to bring in the mop and offer it at the same price. That being said it doesn't seem to be lacking for it at all because as long as the docking base is in the same place and secured properly (so the robot doesn't move it as happened to me initially) it does the mapping job just fine.

It does build the map up over many sessions though which I suspect the laser ones do instantly or much quicker.

Performance-wise I'm astounded with how clean my house feels now and every time I empty the bin I wonder if I was doing a decent job with my industrial-strength Karcher. I think the fact that this thing will do it more regularly alone where I would get to it maybe once a week is going to make all the difference in my life.

Used the mop once and didn't expect much since it can't really apply pressure, but for my laminate floors it did a great job as it vacuums first and then picks up the dust that remains with the mop as it swipes over it afterwards. 200ml tank lasted more than an hour and covered 2/3rd of the house. They recommend not using it on carpets I suspect more for the fact that it can't angle to climb up them easily with the tank attached more so that making them wet, but it soldiered on right over the persian carpet I have in the passage and seemed to somewhat automatically ignore it as it wasn't particularly wet afterward.

The mop is a bit manual though as you need to fill up the tank and wet the pad before sending it off so likely I would only ever use it while at home on a weekend and not leave it to it's own devices.

Will day a play by play review end of the week or so.

Very very impressed overall and happy with the money spent.

Likely going forward I'll stop vacuuming the floor surface areas of the house and instead do a weekly proper mopping and clean all the other furniture areas and such, then come in with the real vacuum once a month or so to get into corners and crevices etc.

Once lockdown is over and I have a domestic back in once a week I might actually tell her not to vacuum at all and just to other things or failing that it would cover the usual deeper clean happily.
Looking forward to the review.

hjst45

Nope. 2 cats (playful 5 month old kittens) and 2 dogs. They are not bothered with it. Just watches it move past them or get out of the way when needed.
Quite interesting how humans are more amused than animals :ROFL:

KaladinStormblessed

My biggest concern with all the smaller bot vac companies is that they will shutdown and turn off their servers - and then your app will be useless. No virtual boundaries or schedules.

I wish they'd give us an open source bot where we can host our own servers and OTA the bots (I know you can root the Xiaomis). They could come stock working like the other bots but allow you to more easily take it off their grid if you wanted.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Wtf could they possibly use it for. Lol.
Furniture design, and influencing home decor to make it more friendly to robot service workers.

I'm not even joking. There's research on how this might work.

Last edited:

MJo

Will try make an attempt at it this weekend.
SauRoNZA do you perhaps know if it would be possible to get the Xiaomi you bought to clean half of your house and then the next day set it to clean the other half? Do you have the experimental feature turned on on yours (which allows virtual walls and zones)? I am trying to problem solve having a big house (about 200 sqm) and the small battery problem. It is the only reason I have not pulled the trigger yet.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
SauRoNZA do you perhaps know if it would be possible to get the Xiaomi you bought to clean half of your house and then the next day set it to clean the other half? Do you have the experimental feature turned on on yours (which allows virtual walls and zones)? I am trying to problem solve having a big house (about 200 sqm) and the small battery problem. It is the only reason I have not pulled the trigger yet.
My house is 285sq in real terms I think with the garage and the braai room which it can’t get to by itself.

It goes until it reaches 15% and then goes back to the dock and charges up to 80% and continues.

It goes for 2 hours and returns to charge and then another 1/2 hour maybe to finish the job, so it’s really not an issue if you weren’t home all day it would finish it before you got home easily.

You could manually tell it to do particular zones and choose half the house but can’t schedule this automatically.

Really it’s not a concern to have, it will sort itself out.

I have the experimental features enabled but honestly see no need for virtual walls or zones. It’s nice to have for spot cleaning.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
It should give you the sqm it has cleaned in the app. That's a better indicator to use.

MJo

My house is 285sq in real terms I think with the garage and the braai room which it can’t get to by itself.

It goes until it reaches 15% and then goes back to the dock and charges up to 80% and continues.

It goes for 2 hours and returns to charge and then another 1/2 hour maybe to finish the job, so it’s really not an issue if you weren’t home all day it would finish it before you got home easily.

You could manually tell it to do particular zones and choose half the house but can’t schedule this automatically.

Really it’s not a concern to have, it will sort itself out.

I have the experimental features enabled but honestly see no need for virtual walls or zones. It’s nice to have for spot cleaning.
Amazing, thank you! I think I am going to go for it :)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It should give you the sqm it has cleaned in the app. That's a better indicator to use.
Not very accurate in the slightest which is why I didn’t mention it.

But the highest figure I’ve seen was 143sq at 116min as it hit 15% of battery and went back to dock.

F1 Fan

Expert Member
I got an iLife V5 Pro a while back and @R4000 for vacuum and mop I'm loving it. Place has never been cleaner.
It uses an algorithm to randomly move around as far as I understand. As opposed to the intelligent room mapping that some cleaners have. It does a thorough job though.
Generally has no problem getting back to the charging dock once it's done.
Comes with a handy dandy remote which lets you, among other things, set a daily cleaning time. It now starts the same time my alarm goes off in the morning. It's not too noisy in my opinion, but it's fairly difficult for me to stay sleeping once there's some activity in my place.
I do not see it ever working well for anything but hard floors (maybe thin carpets), and a stray sock can be the end of a cleaning session until you rescue it. Let alone a rug. Keeping my floors clean has never been as easy so if you only have hard floors like me - I highly recommend it.
I've got two V5 Pro's and we love it. I am thinking of upgrading though to something that can map rooms better. So if you want something budget, I'd recommend these. Im sure you can still get them for under 4k.

I'll prob be selling mine soon as well. The one thinking I'll miss is the mopping feature. Does a light mop, but 90% of the time that is good enough.

Last edited:

Greglsh

Has anybody got the 360 S5 robotic vacuum, if so any issues, are you very happy with it? If you could get this or Xiaomi at roughly the same price which would you choose?

Dave

Honorary Master
Just watch out for the this happening...

1590274906582.jpeg

rph72

Executive Member
Has anybody got the 360 S5 robotic vacuum, if so any issues, are you very happy with it? If you could get this or Xiaomi at roughly the same price which would you choose?
My only worry is whether spares are readily available for the 360.

Greglsh

I am in IT and one of our suppliers is selling the 360 models. I have emailed them the same question, if they are supporting these models with all the relevant spares. I also wanted to ask, do these "automated" vacuums have to talk to cloud servers in order to operate. My thinking in this is that with a "lesser" known brand has a higher chance of just turning off the servers and then you are stuck with a paper weight. I have asked our supplier if they have a demo unit for me to try and see how this one works. If I get the demo unit I will post back here.

rudivanbiljon

If anyone finds any stock of the Xiaomi's (older one or cheaper version of the Pro) or the 360s if they are recommended, please let me know. My wife is turning 30 on June 15 and I need some brownie points after she spoiled my rotten on my birthday this week

MaximusZA

I have ordered the 360 off of loot and should get it end of the week or early next. I decided on the 360 as it looks to have better navigation and reviews over the Xiaomi, the app looks great as well . so hoping i've made the right decision.