RocketNet or Home-Connect ISP on MetroFiber Networx

Amine

Hello Everyone

I'm about to sign up with one of these two ISPs, they are both around R1200 for 100/100 Mbps.
in HelloPetter Home-Connect has 4 starts with TrustIndex of 7.9, ranking #3 as Internet Service Provider while RocketNet has 3 starts with TrustIndex 4.4, ranking #8 as Internet Service Provider
has anyone have any advise or experienced their service ?

Thanks
Amine

sand_man

Honorary Master
Been with Home-connect since January 2019 on their gigabit offering. Have mixed feelings tbh but I think that might just be me and my unrealistic expectations.

Performance across all protocols is decent but I like to download the majority of the content I consume and international single thread download speeds are weak for a 1 gigabit account. I shouldn't have to use a download manager with 32 connections to get 60% of the max attainable download speed on an internationally sourced download.

Having said that the sign up process was effortless, and home-connect spent the last 3 months trying to work out why single thread performance is so weak. They failed but A+ for effort.

abudabi

Expert Member
I'm on 100/100 via rocketnet on vumatel trenched in jhb. Couldn't be happier. From order to support to performance... thumbs up fom me.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I've been with RocketNet for about 2 months now (moved from Cool Ideas) and except for issues with Octotel (which have better lately in my area) I can't really complain about much. Their support has always been quick to reply to tickets and my connection has been stable.

I feel their network isn't as well optimized as Cool Ideas' is but I find it more stable, I would get so many random disconnects with Cool Ideas where it feels like they're constantly tinkering with things. Overall it's difficult to tell if there is any difference in speed as Octotel has a lot to do with this.

They also have some reps on the forum, but they're not super active here - best to use the ticket system if you want support.

tkburn

Been with Home-connect since January 2019 on their gigabit offering. Have mixed feelings tbh but I think that might just be me and my unrealistic expectations.

Performance across all protocols is decent but I like to download the majority of the content I consume and international single thread download speeds are weak for a 1 gigabit account. I shouldn't have to use a download manager with 32 connections to get 60% of the max attainable download speed on an internationally sourced download.

Having said that the sign up process was effortless, and home-connect spent the last 3 months trying to work out why single thread performance is so weak. They failed but A+ for effort.

@sand_man , who is your FNO? , I actually just signed with home connect. Their 200/200 pricing for R988 on frogfoot is unmatched right now.

Amine

Thanks for your time to respond
So you basically you recommend Home-Connect according to your experience with their support and after sale!!
I wish there were Reps to talk to or they talk us through and tell us what make them standout to other ISPs

Amine

I'm on 100/100 via rocketnet on vumatel trenched in jhb. Couldn't be happier. From order to support to performance... thumbs up fom me.

Thanks for you reply
Thats a great news
How is their support hours and after sale services and troubleshooting issues and errors ?!

Amine

I've been with RocketNet for about 2 months now (moved from Cool Ideas) and except for issues with Octotel (which have better lately in my area) I can't really complain about much. Their support has always been quick to reply to tickets and my connection has been stable.

I feel their network isn't as well optimized as Cool Ideas' is but I find it more stable, I would get so many random disconnects with Cool Ideas where it feels like they're constantly tinkering with things. Overall it's difficult to tell if there is any difference in speed as Octotel has a lot to do with this.

They also have some reps on the forum, but they're not super active here - best to use the ticket system if you want support.

Thanks for the time and the reply
Its really nice to know about their support and services after the sales because that’s where the professionalism lay down

Could you please be more specific what did you mean about their network is not well optimized !!

And i wish the reps could do some marketing and tell us why their company is unique and what can they offer other can’t..

Amine

@sand_man , who is your FNO? , I actually just signed with home connect. Their 200/200 pricing for R988 on frogfoot is unmatched right now.

Thanks for the reply
And how is their support and line stability going so far ?

abudabi

Expert Member
Thanks for you reply
Thats a great news
How is their support hours and after sale services and troubleshooting issues and errors ?!

I've had 2 issues. Once the issue was a general area one that I saw that on the status page so didn't log it... was restored fairly quickly. The other one happened on a Friday late afternoon. Logged it and they responded fairly quickly and logged it with vumatel in turn. Sat morning it was still down but then upon returning home that afternoon it was back up.

I'm fairly technical so do my own troubleshooting and only log it when local issues have been ruled out. Luckily they are aware of this so don't make me jump through stupid things before they will log it with vumatel.

Amine

I've had 2 issues. Once the issue was a general area one that I saw that on the status page so didn't log it... was restored fairly quickly. The other one happened on a Friday late afternoon. Logged it and they responded fairly quickly and logged it with vumatel in turn. Sat morning it was still down but then upon returning home that afternoon it was back up.

I'm fairly technical so do my own troubleshooting and only log it when local issues have been ruled out. Luckily they are aware of this so don't make me jump through stupid things before they will log it with vumatel.

That is all what matter for us is when they react and interact with issues and problem in order to solve them..
i have only heard a good things about the two of them RocketNet and Home-Connect so it kind difficult to pick one

Drone 42

Been with Home-Connect for over 2 years with Metrofibre. Had almost zero issues, only issues with down time was maintenance or load shedding for an hour or so. This is not really under their control. What I like about them is the portal where you can open tickets and see your usage stats.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Thanks for your time to respond
So you basically you recommend Home-Connect according to your experience with their support and after sale!!
I wish there were Reps to talk to or they talk us through and tell us what make them standout to other ISPs
Yeah, I think gigabit accounts are a bit iffy for everyone offering them. It's on the performance cusp so to speak. But for any speed under a gigabit I reckon Home-connect are doing a fantastic job. The accounts perform as advertised and if you do have issues their support seems to be, for the most part, on point!!

DrJohn talks about network optimization, this is also an area where I feel Home-connect are well balanced.

EDIT: What are you primarily going to use the line for? What protocols are fundamental to you? Is it http downloads? Streaming media? Gaming?

Amine

Been with Home-Connect for over 2 years with Metrofibre. Had almost zero issues, only issues with down time was maintenance or load shedding for an hour or so. This is not really under their control. What I like about them is the portal where you can open tickets and see your usage stats.

Thanks for the reply
What do you mean usage stats ?! Like how much bandwidth are you using or your ticket status ?!

Drone 42

Thanks for the reply
What do you mean usage stats ?! Like how much bandwidth are you using or your ticket status ?!

Yes, You can see how much data you used each month. Upload and download.

You can also see the status of your tickets.

Amine

Yeah, I think gigabit accounts are a bit iffy for everyone offering them. It's on the performance cusp so to speak. But for any speed under a gigabit I reckon Home-connect are doing a fantastic job. The accounts perform as advertised and if you do have issues their support seems to be, for the most part, on point!!

DrJohn talks about network optimization, this is also an area where I feel Home-connect are well balanced.

EDIT: What are you primarily going to use the line for? What protocols are fundamental to you? Is it http downloads? Streaming media? Gaming?

I will use it for streaming, browsing, remote control, a bit of http downloads