Root – A revolutionary, programmable credit card for South Africa

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Ok. Not 100% sure of the point but seems nice to play in.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Budgeting: Send your transaction data to Google Sheets, where you can create charts comparing your weekly spend.

Sounds like something I can use.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Budgeting: Send your transaction data to Google Sheets, where you can create charts comparing your weekly spend.

Sounds like something I can use.

FNB do this automaticallly for you, but on a monthly basis.

The_Donkey

Honorary Master
Ok. Not 100% sure of the point but seems nice to play in.
Currently no bank in SA offers an API (at least that I know of) that lets you manage your banking, or spending if you will. That's the point.

edit: I'm assuming you're in IT here, if not, in lay terms: this lets your own software manage your bank account for you, what you spend your money on, how much you can spend, etc, etc.

There's some examples in the article, but one that may be apt for us is to set a limit of R250 for beers at the bar, as soon as you cross that limit the software sends you an SMS and disables your card until 7am the next morning.

Last edited:

Archer

Honorary Master
22Seven? Can't stop you spending but can do all the tracking stuff easily enough, having the rest of your info (EFT's, debits, etc) there is also valuable

22Seven? Can't stop you spending but can do all the tracking stuff easily enough, having the rest of your info (EFT's, debits, etc) there is also valuable

actually a good question... so is this purely a credit card account? I wouldn't want my EFTs and Salary running into and off of that... but that's just me.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Ah ok, so I can manipulate my accounts directly. Thought this was for a supplier to interact with a customer but its more around personal finance.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
actually a good question... so is this purely a credit card account? I wouldn't want my EFTs and Salary running into and off of that... but that's just me.

True but an account linked to something small and lets say you have a stock watch service that buys and sells for you. No need to hold funds in a stock account. Or some type of web craweler for specials ie: digital games etc.

Marius Flash

Expert Member
I am "Doff" enough to know that this "Root" revolution is going to go South......How? Just a hunch i guess?:confused:

ebendl

Expert Member
I love the idea. 22Seven is a great idea but doesn't quite fit the way I manage my finances. I currently do it on a monthly basis but that means transparency is lacking during the month.

I've considered interpreting the inContact type emails that gets send by FNB / ABSA (my two accounts) and using that for real-time use, but it is only sent for values above a certain amount and it isn't the best "API" to use.

Jeruanamo

I love the idea. 22Seven is a great idea but doesn't quite fit the way I manage my finances. I currently do it on a monthly basis but that means transparency is lacking during the month.

I've considered interpreting the inContact type emails that gets send by FNB / ABSA (my two accounts) and using that for real-time use, but it is only sent for values above a certain amount and it isn't the best "API" to use.

Have you tried stash.co.za? Interprets inContact notifications already. Working on intercepting app notifications from the bank too.

The_Donkey

Honorary Master
Have you tried stash.co.za? Interprets inContact notifications already. Working on intercepting app notifications from the bank too.
I'm not sure how that will help him? Stash deducts money from your account based on the SMS's received from the bank.

He's trying to keep record of his spending