Root – A revolutionary, programmable credit card for South Africa

TheGuy

Expert Member
I think this is really brilliant. Having an API like this for your credit card means people can write all sorts of cool apps that you can use.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Cool ideas, but "revolutionary" it is not. Similar tech has existed for a very long time, just never been employed in this fashion.

sgs

I think people might be missing the point here.

This allows you to implement and trial/prototype potential app functionality with minimal cost. If you hit something that works well, you can use your proof-of-concept to get buy-in from bank(s) and then roll it out at a massive scale.

Currently, you need to get that buy-in, loads of expenses etc. before you can even play and prove your concept. Now you can play as much as you want without it costing you all that much. Brilliant for app developers in the finance space!

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
Have you tried stash.co.za? Interprets inContact notifications already. Working on intercepting app notifications from the bank too.

Tried this and it never worked for me. All my details are correct but nada. I bank with Nedbank.

ebendl

Expert Member
I think people might be missing the point here.

This allows you to implement and trial/prototype potential app functionality with minimal cost. If you hit something that works well, you can use your proof-of-concept to get buy-in from bank(s) and then roll it out at a massive scale.

Currently, you need to get that buy-in, loads of expenses etc. before you can even play and prove your concept. Now you can play as much as you want without it costing you all that much. Brilliant for app developers in the finance space!

Exactly what I'm looking for - for my own personal financial management.

SpoonTech

Exactly what I'm looking for - for my own personal financial management.

I have been looking at doing something similar for a while, also on FNB, so we could collaborate on extraction of transactions from SMS, Email or the PDF statements.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Currently no bank in SA offers an API (at least that I know of) that lets you manage your banking, or spending if you will. That's the point.

edit: I'm assuming you're in IT here, if not, in lay terms: this lets your own software manage your bank account for you, what you spend your money on, how much you can spend, etc, etc.

There's some examples in the article, but one that may be apt for us is to set a limit of R250 for beers at the bar, as soon as you cross that limit the software sends you an SMS and disables your card until 7am the next morning.

There is a site that integrates will all the internet banking sites and lets you manage your spend. Its read only and you have to give the site permission but all the banks allowed it.

I can't remember the site now...

ZyborgRSA

Small Necro of nearly 3 years... Does anyone actually use 22seven and if so, doesn't it seem super dodge?

It seems to be a thing in South Africa though. These budget apps ask for your online banking login/password and I assume just grab all the info from that but they could do so much more with that access... How do we not have Read only APIs for all this stuff :/