Root (any) Phone in 5 Minutes with TowelRoot APK

nadimm

Expert Member
Towel root allows you to root "any" device running KitKat with 1 click using an app on your device. (Noticed there wasn't a clear method on the forum).

1. Check and understand any compatibility and security issues and accept responsibility for your own actions. XDA is a good resource. I've rooted my Z2 and Tablet Z.

2. Download TowelRoot, and install (You will need to allow off market apk installations in your settings)
3. Download RootChecker from the playstore and install
4. Launch TowelRoot and Click "make it rain"
5. Launch RootChecker and confirm
6. Download SuperSu off the playstore, install and launch. (There are other options)

You now have root access.

Next Steps (Dragons Ahead):
7. Download Xposed apk and experiment with modules
8. Download Titanium backup and freeze/uninstall bloatware
9. Download Tasker and become a real super user.
10. If you want to play with custom roms, then install a recovery e.g. clockworkmod.

nadimm

Expert Member
It's so easy it annoys me that I spent so much time rooting my desire, s2, s3 et al. Like two days of research and anxiety.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
For me there is only 3 reasons to root

1. Samba
2. WifiKill
3. Backup

The rest is just to waste time or play around :D

As for Towelroot, did not work on my friend's S4 Kitkat... don't know if they fixed the issue yet but I know it did not work about a month ago. On my Xperia it worked 1st time.

Oh and you are about 2 months late

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master

1. Samba
2. WifiKill
3. Backup

/snip

Play around you say... Speaking of WifiKill... I used it for a while. Did you purchase or are you using the free version?

nadimm

Expert Member

1. Samba
2. WifiKill
3. Backup

As for Towelroot, did not work on my friend's S4 Kitkat... don't know if they fixed the issue yet but I know it did not work about a month ago. On my Xperia it worked 1st time.

Oh and you are about 2 months late

Never said it was new. Someone asked me how to do it, so thought I'd share.

The main reason for root for me is Xposed and Tasker. Why do you need root for samba?

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Play around you say... Speaking of WifiKill... I used it for a while. Did you purchase or are you using the free version?

Got the free version that he posted on XDA. Works like a dream.

Oh and forgot to mention faceniff and other odds and ends like zANTI that I use from time to time.

The main reason for root for me is Xposed and Tasker. Why do you need root for samba?

Cause it adds smb service I guess? Oh and I am refering to Server not client ie: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funkyfresh.samba so my phone+sd card can be shared onto a Windows network if need be.

Note: Oh and it(Towelroot) still doesn't work on S4 Kitkat, just checked on colleague phone again.

Last edited:

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
Got the free version that he posted on XDA. Works like a dream.

Oh and forgot to mention faceniff and other odds and ends like zANTI that I use from time to time.

/snip

Did you use the installer for WK or the apk?
What is faceniff?
What is zanti?

hellfire

Honorary Master
Doesn't work on SGS5 with the latest firmware update.
Samsung plugged the hole :(