Rooting an HTC Magic (Android) and upgrading to get Marketplace etc

dudleygb

Expert Member
this is excellent, so how u finding Android?
I'm extremely curious and tempted, I'm sure anything is better than WinMo/Symbian

nlt

Android is awesome... I used to have an E61i and my Magic makes that old thing feel like an abacus.

dudleygb

Expert Member
i like the slide out KB though on the dream, hows the input on the magic?
have u managed to get the Market?

in my mind i think this has taken phones to a new level, i'm either getting an iPhone or the Android OS. However, iPhone is way more! This makes HTC Android the obvious choice.
Should we not wait for the G2 or HTC Hero though?

Last edited:

nlt

The magic is the "G2" but nobody calls it that any more. It's called the MyTouch in the US and Magic pretty much everywhere else. "Sapphire" is the internal code name that HTC are using for it.

The Magic is much prettier than the Dream (G1) but yeah, a real keyboard is nice... having said that, I've got quite used to the Magic on screen keyboard. It does some amazing predictive text stuff where it figures out what word you might be trying to spell even though you've pressed the some wrong keys in the process. (ie, it knows that "E" and "R" are near each other so if you type "EESTRICR" it figures out you probably meant "restrict". Once you learn to just go with the flow and trust it it feels very easy... possibly easier than my E61i full qwerty.

The HERO is really just an evolution the Magic. I think the screen is physically bigger but the resolution is the same. It's got a faster chip etc etc. Will probably want to upgrade once I've played with one, but don't know when that will be.

Yup, I have Market. The ROM I flashed the phone with is a rooted ROM with Market. There are thousands of apps on Market and about 25 new apps (or upgrades of existing apps) every day. I've even bought an app already ;)

j.

dudleygb

Expert Member
thats excellent....i'm sold.
i did a compare, and the processors seem to be the same? 528Mhz
The Dream has the KB but half the ROM

Really cant decide, but for me the extra ROM is more important than the KB. Although, damn, the KB is sooooo nice.
I got an Omnia and the on screen KB takes up screen space. Decisions, decisions,...

duncan1a

Really cant decide, but for me the extra ROM is more important than the KB. Although, damn, the KB is sooooo nice.
I got an Omnia and the on screen KB takes up screen space. Decisions, decisions,...
I have a Magic, and I'm so glad I didn't go for the Dream. The KB really is 'Magic' the way it knows what you meant. As mentioned earlier, the thing to get used to is to just trust it. It has haptic feedback so that you can feel the keypresses.

Last edited:

duncan1a

You'll be surprised how small the Magic is

duncan1a

TH3_0/\/3

Thanks for the tut, worked like a charm. No issues after the flash, but some issues remained from before the flash... mainly Wifi is a bit broken.

Has anyone had issues with the Magic and Wifi + ICS?
I can connect to the internet via a Wifi AP connected to the internet through PPPoE (eg AP connects directly to ADSL/Iburst) but have not been able to get it working with a machine on the network sharing its internet connection via ICS. For example a machine connects via dialup modem ('dialup' meaning something like a sentech USB modem which 'dials' in from windows) and then shares its connection using MS ICS.