Rooting the Samsung Galaxy S - Have you tried it?

Tiny3001

Hi guys,

I've finally gotten my first decent phone in years (always bought the crappy ones in favour of bigger Game vouchers) and I have to say, the Samsung Galaxy S is absolutely amazing, loving every second of it.

Of course, with all things bright and beautiful, there are some grey areas.

I'm thinking of rooting the phone for the following reasons:
  • Access to the paid Market (I want to buy Angry Birds :D)
  • Screenshots (for tutorials and things I plan to put on my blog, although technically, I don't have to root my phone for this as I have the development debug tools that came with the SDK)
  • Full Custom backups.

So the question here is, have any of you tried this and does it work?

My phone models and things are:
Model: GT-I9000
Firmware: 2.1-update1
Baseband: I9000XXJM2
Build: ECLAIR.XWJM3

Not sure what the baseband and builds are exactly, don't understand enough about it. Maybe I'm just too lazy to read up on it.

So have any one else out there successfully rooted their SGS and is their method for unrooting easy enough?

I'm asking about the un-rooting because as I understand it, Samsung will be bringing Froyo to the SGS by end of October?

Maddmatt

Expert Member
Ive had mine rooted shortly after getting it.

With the Froyo firmwares you don't need root or the dev tools to take screenshots. You take them by holding the back button and pressing the home key. I'm using a leaked Froyo ROM.

I've never unrooted, should be easy enough. A hard reset should unroot it. The one Click lag Fix app can also unroot your phone.

Tiny3001

I'm still a bit iffy about running custom ROMs...

So what method did you use? Did you use this one over at XDA? And do you have the same firmware that I've got?

Maddmatt

Expert Member
I'm not using a custom ROM, I don't see any available that are worthwhile in my opinion. I'm using a leaked Froyo firmware from Samsung. I guess it's a beta or release candidate but it works pretty well.
Rooting the Froyo Samsung firmware is more complicated at the moment.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=790686
Rooted and installed a lagfix, works great. Note that when going from Android 2.1 to 2.2 you wont be able to restore your settings, it will cause problems. Follow the steps carefully if you follow through with installing that firmware.

Tiny3001

I'm definitely not rooting to be able to install 2.2, for that I will wait for Samsung... their TouchWiz UI on top op 2.1 is quite good actually. I'm mainly rooting for the paid market!

Tiny3001

Allright, got the phone rooted, installed BusyBox (not that I have any idea how to use it?) and... now to see if I can enable the paid Market :)

Tiny3001

Allright, installed Terminal Emulator from the Market... this root thing rocks!

FarligOpptreden

Executive Member
Before doing a custom ROM flash, make sure your phone has the "3 button press" enabled. Turn off the phone and hold volume up and home buttons and then press and hold the power button. When the splash screen appears, release the power button, still holding the other 2. If everything is working as expected, the phone should boot into recovery mode.

My phone was one of the bugged-out ones, but the fix on XDA sorted that out. A friend of mine also did the fix on his SGS. This was discussed in another topic a couple of weeks ago, just search this forum a bit.