Route Sentry - updating your local routes

Smooth Criminal

Expert Member
Hi guys,

I've detailed below a way to update your local Route Sentry routes. This is, off course, provided that ant1b0dy does not mind. If he does then I'll have to remove it.

So here's how you do it:
  1. Go to http://ip.ludost.net/
  2. Enter za in the Input a list of ISO country codes separated by spaces in this field field.
  3. Scroll down and tick the Local local addresses checkbox.
  4. Scroll down and in the Select template for formating the output of your query box select the mask dotted decimal mask radio button.
  5. Scroll down and click on Submit query.
  6. In your C:\Program Files\Route Sentry folder, make a copy of the localroutes.dat file in case something breaks later (unlikely, but rather be safe).
  7. Open WordPad and open the localroutes.dat file.
  8. Copy the routes that you got from the query on the website above over the existing routes in the file. You'll notice that the only thing that has changed is the commas being replaced with spaces, as shown here (new routes on the left, old routes on the right).
  9. To fix this, go to Edit and Replace, or press Ctrl+H. Put a space in the Find what field and a comma in the Replace with field, then click Replace all. Pic here.
  10. Pic here of how it should look when you're done, again new routes on the left and old routes on the right.
  11. Copy all the text from WordPad into Notepad, save the file as localroutes.dat in the C:\Program Files\Route Sentry folder, start Route Sentry and you're good to go :) Be sure to select All Files as the file type, otherwise it will save as localroutes.dat.txt. I left the encoding as ANSI, but I don't think this will affect it much.
  12. If you notice something not quite right, delete the file that you've modified and rename the backup that you've made back to localroutes.dat

Post back if you have any problems. I've just tested it and it works cool for me.

Last edited:

LancelotSA

Banned
May I ask why we would be doing this? I am assuming it is as we get allocated more IP addresses we need to update the database on routesentry. Is that right?

Smooth Criminal

Expert Member
Yep, if you have a look at the pics in step 8 and 10, you'll notice that ,for example, there are a bunch of IPs in the 41.x.x.x range missing in the old routing table. MyBB for example would route through the international account as it's IP is 41.203.21.136, which is missing from the old routing table (depending on which version of Route Sentry you're using).

LancelotSA

Banned
Yep, if you have a look at the pics in step 8 and 10, you'll notice that ,for example, there are a bunch of IPs in the 41.x.x.x range missing in the old routing table. MyBB for example would route through the international account as it's IP is 41.203.21.136, which is missing from the old routing table (depending on which version of Route Sentry you're using).
And the chance of me messing up Route Sentry by following your instructions? Tell me 0 and I'll give it a go... otherwise I will rather settle for 99% of addresses being covered! ;)

Smooth Criminal

Expert Member
And the chance of me messing up Route Sentry by following your instructions? Tell me 0 and I'll give it a go... otherwise I will rather settle for 99% of addresses being covered! ;)
Provided you follow the instructions exactly as mentioned above, then 0 :)

The convention after pasting the new routes is the only thing that changes. The spaces between the IPs and the subnet masks need to be replaced with commas.

And if you notice something fuzzy anyway, then you just delete the file that you've modified, and rename the backup you made of the file before you started back to localroutes.dat. That's why I've listed making a backup of the file as one of the steps.

But hey, it's your choice ;)

LancelotSA

Banned
[*] Copy all the text from WordPad into Notepad, save the file as localroutes.dat in the C:\Program Files\Route Sentry folder, start Route Sentry and you're good to go :)
[/LIST]

Post back if you have any problems. I've just tested it and it works cool for me.
OK, doing it. When you save in notepad, what encoding must I choose? ANSI, Unicode, UTF-8?

Smooth Criminal

Expert Member
I left it on the default, which I think was ANSI. Be sure to select All Files as the file type, otherwise it will save as localroutes.dat.txt

upup

Executive Member
Does this work for something like telkom do as well.

SL20

What I don`t understand, is why is the old routesentry.dat file 40kb big, and the new one after following the instructions is 17kb :confused:

davemc

Executive Member
@SL20, you have to understand how the masking works.

In the old routesentry file, there are entries for 20-40 network ranges that were known, on the same top-level network.
e.g. 62.34.45.*, 62.34.46,*, 62.34.47.*, 62.34.48.*, 62.34.49.*

Now, that was as much information as we had available, but, this tool knows that the entire e.g. 62.34.*.* range is in South Africa, so all those entries are replaced with one.

Therefore a smaller (and more efficient) file.

(Ip address 62.34.*.* was a guess)

Pada

Executive Member
There's an easier method of updating the RouteSentry list of IP addresses. See STEP 7 in stroebs' guide for configuring RouteSentry on Windows Vista/7: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?p=2753845#post2753845
STEP 7: BEFORE you open RouteSentry, download/view the text file HERE and copy everything in the file into "C:\Program Files\Route Sentry\localroutes.dat" (Open localroutes.dat with notepad or any other text editor)
Its actually not even necessary to copy & paste the content using a text editor. You could simply "save the link as" c:\program files\route sentry\localroutes.dat and choose to overwrite the file.

Last edited: