Router Battery Backup

ld13

Honorary Master
Well this answers the question for me. I will need a boost converter as the specs of the Asus router report the power supply as 19V with a max of 2.37A.

I have never seen a router taking its max wattage. Your router needs 45W. The 12V side gives you 36W and the 24V gives you 24W. Assuming equal losses, you would probably better off boosting the 12V side to 19V. But even then, 36W is not a lot of headroom to work with, if it becomes 29W~19V1.5A after 80% efficiency, and that might not be enough. Only one way to know ...

ebendl

Expert Member
I have never seen a router taking its max wattage. Your router needs 45W. The 12V side gives you 36W and the 24V gives you 24W. Assuming equal losses, you would probably better off boosting the 12V side to 19V. But even then, 36W is not a lot of headroom to work with, if it becomes 29W~19V1.5A after 80% efficiency, and that might not be enough. Only one way to know ...

it doesn't "take" its max voltage, but it might draw its max current.

Typically you would expect a voltage regulator chip in these devices which takes the 12v and gives you a stable say 3.3v, 5v and/or 9v.

A 12v router might start with 12v but really only need 9v, so the regulator drops the 12v down to stable 9v. In this case you might get away with a 10v supply.
You might also find that many of them actually require a 5v supply but 12v power supplies are more common (and thus cheaper) and available in higher current ratings than say 6 or 9v, so they go with a 12v supply.

I've also seen cases where a lower supply works for some devices, but it can't supply enough voltage to drive the leds, for example.

That being said, if my router is 19v then it is not as common (the majority being 12v) and it might have a very specific reason to require a higher voltage (perhaps internally it needs 12v but needs an input higher than 12 to supply a stable 12v that doesn't dip). So in this case I would expect running a 19v router with a 12v supply to be more problematic.

Segg

Expert Member
Nope, not that I know of. Closest

Check this out on takealot: UltraLAN Micro UPS (DC, USB & PoE) - 17W 8.8AH

Thanks!

Unfortunately I specifically need PoE AT/AF - not passive :(

I've got some Ubiquity hotspots and IP telephones that require 48v active

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Hi Guys

Hoping someone can help me? I bought this unit from geewiz:

I paired it with a normal 7.2ah battery , however I see no output on the box, only the plug?

Any idea how I hook it up?

Much appreciated.

Open the box and you should see a blue connector. You connect your 12V devices to that.
1634199139773.png

Lord Flacko

Expert Member
I ended up getting the Ellies Cube Mini a few days ago. Nothing beats having Fibre in darkness. It served it's purpose twice.

Katelknaap

I ended up getting the Ellies Cube Mini a few days ago. Nothing beats having Fibre in darkness. It served it's purpose twice.

Bought one last year, working great and have never had any issues. Fibre connectivity diring loadshedding keeps one sane.

powermzii

Expert Member
Thanks, I found the specs just after posting my question. I need to power a Mikrotik Hap AC2 over POE so passive is fine but I really need a gigabit connection.
I bought a gigabit ethernet poe dongle from geewiz for r60. Posted that using the 12v from the mini ups then eth cable out to the router

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Does anyone have a manual for the Gizzu 8800mah UPS Dual DC?. I threw mine out long ago and I cant find the manual online
If you do have one on, can you see if the both the DC ports have a shared output of 3A or is it 3A each output?

The specs I can find just shows this.
1634282171812.png

Shpongle

I bought a gigabit ethernet poe dongle from geewiz for r60. Posted that using the 12v from the mini ups then eth cable out to the router
Yup I have one of these currently but the issue with my setup is that the Mikrotik needs 18-28v over poe. All of these small UPS units output 5/9/12 Volts and only supply 24v on their crappy slow 10/100 poe interface.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Yup I have one of these currently but the issue with my setup is that the Mikrotik needs 18-28v over poe. All of these small UPS units output 5/9/12 Volts and only supply 24v on their crappy slow 10/100 poe interface.
PoE splitter to suck the juice out of the PoE port to a normal barrel connector

killerbyte

Expert Member
The Ratel 8100 does 19v.