Router Battery Backup

Was busy 3d printing a neat little case for the whole thing but then loadshedding kicked in. Gonna need 15 hours of uninterrupted power :(

Here you go... Simple, clean and very efficient. Hardly any wastage like a regular regulator.
Outputs 5v at up to 2A. Input can be anything from 6.5 up to 36v. Very low heat unlike most regs that just turf excess as heat. This thing has 94% efficiency.
One pin is input +, one is common ground and one is output 5v

Goodness. No I’ll go ready made solution.

Inspired by this thread, I decided to make my own redneck router backup battery yesterday. Gave me around 2 hours of usage before the lights came back on, so I'm chalking it up as a success.

Parts: 3 X 18650's, 2 X binder clips, 2 X old hard drive magnets, some wire, and a barrel connector.

3 x no name batteries of questionable wh capacity?
No not a success just an interesting primary school science experiment.

Reactions: Yuu
Converting 12V DC to 220V AC and back to 12V DC is not efficient. I have been running my ADSL router off this 12V UPS I bought at a security shop for R400 for a few years now.

I hooked it up to a 45 Ah battery that came out of a UPS instead of the 7 Ah battery that can fit into the case. Also hook 12V lights onto it during load shedding. Easily runs this setup for more than a day.

Changed over to fibre and will run the ONT off it now, but the new TP Link router runs off 9V, so planning to buy one of these:

Then both devices will run off the one UPS, and I will have the 12V lights on as well. Could also replace the battery with a 7Ah lead crystal that you can drain completely without damage. Should also give at least 4 hours of use.

Ordered the converter last night, plus another one with USB 5v output. Will build it into a box that will give 12V for the ONT, 9V for the router, 5V USB for charging a phone and another 12V output for lights during load shedding.

Right so I went and picked up a Ratel 430P this morning from communica and I must say i'm impressed
https://www.communica.co.za/products/ratel-430p

The specs if anyone is interested https://sinetechstore.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/OmniPower-Ratel-Micro-UPS-Range.pdf

I ran a Mikrotik router on it (rb2011uias-2hnd-in) during load shedding and it was at 75% after 2.5 hours of use, to see how long it would run for beyond that I unplugged the power, left home got back now and it was only at 50% so yes a good 5 hours shouldn't be a problem at my load.

For the record the router has a max power draw of 11w but even if you add a CPE to this it should easily do 3 hours if not more.

Inspired by this thread, I decided to make my own redneck router backup battery yesterday. Gave me around 2 hours of usage before the lights came back on, so I'm chalking it up as a success.

Parts: 3 X 18650's, 2 X binder clips, 2 X old hard drive magnets, some wire, and a barrel connector.

View attachment 755172
que macgyver music

Right so I went and picked up a Ratel 430P this morning from communica and I must say i'm impressed

The specs if anyone is interested https://sinetechstore.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/OmniPower-Ratel-Micro-UPS-Range.pdf

I ran a Mikrotik router on it (rb2011uias-2hnd-in) during load shedding and it was at 75% after 2.5 hours of use, to see how long it would run for beyond that I unplugged the power, left home got back now and it was only at 50% so yes a good 5 hours shouldn't be a problem at my load.

For the record the router has a max power draw of 11w but even if you add a CPE to this it should easily do 3 hours if not more.
Looks pretty decent.

My Ratel 860P was delivered yesterday and I hooked it up last night. Powering the following items from it:

- Mikrotik HAP AC2 router using the POE port at 24V
- Vumatel ONT using one of the 12V ports
- Raspberry PI Zero W using one of the 5V USB ports

Quick two hour test last night and the Ratel still did not change LED lights from 100% to 80%. :)

My Ratel 860P was delivered yesterday and I hooked it up last night. Powering the following items from it:

- Mikrotik HAP AC2 router using the POE port at 24V
- Vumatel ONT using one of the 12V ports
- Raspberry PI Zero W using one of the 5V USB ports

Quick two hour test last night and the Ratel still did not change LED lights from 100% to 80%. :)

New brooms and all that. New batteries still in pristine condition. The real crunch will come when after a few LS sessions, is how well the system recovers and re-charges them nice batteries.

I trust there is a decent manual for the Ratel?

New brooms and all that. New batteries still in pristine condition. The real crunch will come when after a few LS sessions, is how well the system recovers and re-charges them nice batteries.

I trust there is a decent manual for the Ratel?

Yes still early days. At least the lithium-ion batteries will recharge quicker and have many more recharges in them compared to my old UPS with lead-acid batteries.

The tiny manual that comes with it is not great no.

Of course, The President has decreed that we will have no more LS until after the 13th January. .......
You may have to do some local LS to test the Ratel in the meantime :unsure:

:ROFL: At least my trigger happy earth leakage will give the Ratel something to do in the meantime.

Back