Router Battery Backup

So a mini-review of the Gizzu 8800mAH UPS that I ordered from Raru on Sunday:

UPDATE: Powering the Edgerouter X (24V PoE Passthrough), Huawei B315 (12V) and Unifi AP AC LR (24V PoE) the battery level dropped to around 75% after exactly two hours of load shedding. Recharge time was about an hour. I do have the worry that should the unit lose power altogether by discharging the batteries, it won't turn back on by itself when the power returns as the ON/OFF switch is not a toggle button. I'll try and play around with it this weekend and see if I can discharge it completely and then give it power again and see if it only resumes charging of the batteries or if it will start outputting power immediately.

The unit feels solidly built and seems to be well put together. There is a sticker on the back that designates it as a POE-45P unit. If you search for this model, you can find it for sale on Alibaba and other wholesale sites. I did find a picture of the unit disassembled and it seems to have 4x 18650 batteries of 2200mAH (claimed) each. The unit has ventilation grilles but no fan; everything is silent.

There are 4 green LEDs denoting the SoC (State of Charge), from 25% up to 100% in 25% increments. The unit was 75% charged when I received it, and I topped it up to 100% using the supplied figure-of-eight connector. This took around twenty minutes, but I do not know how discharged it was upon receipt of it. The lights pulse on and off 'softly' and looks quite sleek as opposed to them just blinking on and off. One could say the lights are 'breathing'. The connector would not fit and had a poor mate with the unit, so I widened the copper contacts on the power lead with a ballpoint pen. It provided a better fit after the slight modification.

The unit comes with a DC cable that is split at one end, so you can power two devices simultaneously provided they are the same voltage. There are two switches on the unit to select voltages (5/9/12V for the DC jack and 15/19/24V for the PoE jack) and indicator lights telling you which voltage is selected when the unit is turned on. It doesn't appear as if you are able to power one or the other; both outputs are active at any given time.

There are four rubber feet on the bottom of the unit, and two holes that you can use to mount it against a wall using some screws. Beneath the rubber feet there are Philips head screws, presumably to open up the unit for servicing.

I will be powering an Edgerouter X and a Ubiquiti Unifi AP LR using the PoE output, as well as my Huawei B315 LTE router. The max current draw for the devices are 5W for the Edgerouter, 7W for the AP and 5W for the B315. I expect about a 6 hour runtime before the UPS turns itself off, and I will try and record the runtime as well as the time to recharge whilst still powering the equipment up. I also discovered that the PoE ports are 100Mbps capable, and not 1Gbps as is with my previous Ubiquiti branded unit. This isn't a train smash for me, however, as I just feed my B315 into it which will never see 50Mbps let alone 100Mbps (the screenshot says PoE not supported because that port [eth0] is used as passthrough and all they mean is that it cannot output PoE through that port):

Last edited:
So a mini-review of the Gizzu 8800mAH UPS that I ordered from Raru on Sunday:

The unit feels solidly built and seems to be well put together. There is a sticker on the back that designates it as a POE-45P unit. If you search for this model, you can find it for sale on Alibaba and other wholesale sites. I did find a picture of the unit disassembled and it seems to have 4x 18650 batteries of 2200mAH (claimed) each. The unit has ventilation grilles but no fan; everything is silent.

There are 4 green LEDs denoting the SoC (State of Charge), from 25% up to 100% in 25% increments. The unit was 75% charged when I received it, and I topped it up to 100% using the supplied figure-of-eight connector. This took around twenty minutes, but I do not know how discharged it was upon receipt of it. The lights pulse on and off 'softly' and looks quite sleek as opposed to them just blinking on and off. One could say the lights are 'breathing'. The connector would not fit and had a poor mate with the unit, so I widened the copper contacts on the power lead with a ballpoint pen. It provided a better fit after the slight modification.

The unit comes with a DC cable that is split at one end, so you can power two devices simultaneously provided they are the same voltage. There are two switches on the unit to select voltages (5/9/12V for the DC jack and 15/19/24V for the PoE jack) and indicator lights telling you which voltage is selected when the unit is turned on. It doesn't appear as if you are able to power one or the other; both outputs are active at any given time.

There are four rubber feet on the bottom of the unit, and two holes that you can use to mount it against a wall using some screws. Beneath the rubber feet there are Philips head screws, presumably to open up the unit for servicing.

I will be powering an Edgerouter X and a Ubiquiti Unifi AP LR using the PoE output, as well as my Huawei B315 LTE router. The max current draw for the devices are 5W for the Edgerouter, 7W for the AP and 5W for the B315. I expect about a 6 hour runtime before the UPS turns itself off, and I will try and record the runtime as well as the time to recharge whilst still powering the equipment up.

picked up my unit this morning. going to klap it on later. dude did say you must charge it full before you throw it into the loadshedding.

My Ratel 860P was delivered yesterday and I hooked it up last night. Powering the following items from it:

- Mikrotik HAP AC2 router using the POE port at 24V
- Vumatel ONT using one of the 12V ports
- Raspberry PI Zero W using one of the 5V USB ports

Quick two hour test last night and the Ratel still did not change LED lights from 100% to 80%. :)
Is it silent during shedding or does it also have an annoying beep? It charges continuously via 220V, right?

Is it silent during shedding or does it also have an annoying beep? It charges continuously via 220V, right?

Silent without any beeps during a power failure. It plugs directly into a 2 point 220V plug socket for charging.

Reactions: Yuu

That was delivered to me yesterday. Had a chance to test it earlier.

Hooked it up to my Vumatel ONT, and a D-Link (DIR-825) router. On a full charge it gave me a little over 5 hrs of backup power.
What did you pay for yours?

That was delivered to me yesterday. Had a chance to test it earlier.

Hooked it up to my Vumatel ONT, and a D-Link (DIR-825) router. On a full charge it gave me a little over 5 hrs of backup power.
The link on Takealot's site is dead, but do you remember what size battery it contains? I seem to recall 4800mAH but I am a bit unsure now

Silent without any beeps during a power failure. It plugs directly into a 2 point 220V plug socket for charging.
Thanks, this looks perfect for my needs. Well, I could use more power but it gets larger and more expensive, so this is a good compromise.

My Ratel 860P was delivered yesterday and I hooked it up last night. Powering the following items from it:

- Mikrotik HAP AC2 router using the POE port at 24V
- Vumatel ONT using one of the 12V ports
- Raspberry PI Zero W using one of the 5V USB ports

Quick two hour test last night and the Ratel still did not change LED lights from 100% to 80%. :)
Damn, sold out.

Btw re POE, do you need to select the voltage or is it automatic?

Back