RouteSentry: Manage 2 ADSL account connections on 1 pc, 1 line, 1 modem (local/intnl)

ant1b0dy

I've put up a little utility that I wrote for myself that converts an IP address range (e.g. 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.255) into DestIP,Mask format (e.g. 192.168.0.1,255.255.255.0) - this is the format used by the localroutes.dat file routesentry uses. Some of you may find it useful.
It's here: http://antibody.za.net/files/masktool.exe

Last edited:

ant1b0dy

Erm, looks like there was a bug in the first masktool.exe I uploaded which is fixed now. The corrected version has a (v0.02) in the caption, the buggy one doesn't. If you have the buggy version you'll need to download it again. Thanks to bishopZA for pointing the problem out... :)

Last edited:

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Call me stupid but depsite reading all the posts so far i stil have some questions -

If you have to dialup to each account that means that u cannot have both running at the same time?? Like u cannot be using ur local account for downloading(linux ISOs of course) and be browsing using ur other international account at the same time? Is this correct?

ant1b0dy

hj2k_x said:
Call me stupid but depsite reading all the posts so far i stil have some questions -

If you have to dialup to each account that means that u cannot have both running at the same time?? Like u cannot be using ur local account for downloading(linux ISOs of course) and be browsing using ur other international account at the same time? Is this correct?
The whole point of this utility is to allow you to be connected to BOTH ISP connections AT THE SAME TIME, with local traffic flowing through the one and international traffic through the other. I hope you understand now.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
ant1b0dy said:
The whole point of this utility is to allow you to be connected to BOTH ISP connections AT THE SAME TIME, with local traffic flowing through the one and international traffic through the other. I hope you understand now.
Good! Thanks for that!

Spoke to a mate who reckoned other wise. All cleared up then. :)

CodeMaster

Expert Member
ant1b0dy, first big thumbs up :)

Got everything up and running, and it's all working fab :)

Just one question though. Is there anyway to run all smtp services through the int'l acc rather than the local account?

What is happening is, all outgoing e-mail is not being sent through the IS account. I keep getting an Admin error:
554 <xx-xxx-x.xxxx.isadsl.co.za[196.209.xx.xx]>: Client host rejected: IS ADSL

E-mail all works ok through the int'l WebAfrica account though. Only problem is that with RouteSentry enabled, all out-going e-mail wants to go through the local IS account, and the above error comes up.

Is there anyway to route all smtp traffic through the WebAfrica account? I would still like to keep incoming POP traffic to be routed through the IS Local account if possible.

ant1b0dy

CodeMaster said:
ant1b0dy, first big thumbs up :)

Got everything up and running, and it's all working fab :)

Just one question though. Is there anyway to run all smtp services through the int'l acc rather than the local account?

What is happening is, all outgoing e-mail is not being sent through the IS account. I keep getting an Admin error:
554 <xx-xxx-x.xxxx.isadsl.co.za[196.209.xx.xx]>: Client host rejected: IS ADSL

E-mail all works ok through the int'l WebAfrica account though. Only problem is that with RouteSentry enabled, all out-going e-mail wants to go through the local IS account, and the above error comes up.

Is there anyway to route all smtp traffic through the WebAfrica account? I would still like to keep incoming POP traffic to be routed through the IS Local account if possible.
You'll need to edit the localroutes.dat file (in the routesentry folder) to remove the following line:
This does mean that any IP address in the range 196.209.0.0-196.209.255.255 will be routed internationally, which probably includes a little too much of IS :). You could of course add new entries to this file for finer control of which IP address go local. You can use my masktool.exe utility to convert an IP range to IP,Mask format as used by RouteSentry.

CodeMaster

Expert Member
Hmmm, taking out that IP range would indeed route a lot of local traffic over the international account. I will do that as a last resort. Maybe I can install and run a local SMTP tool, which will be able to send e-mail directly, unless someone else has a suggestion of how to fix the mail relay error???

Another problem I came across last night, is that RouteSentry runs smoothly on both the PC and the laptop independently, but when R/S connects on both computers, then one of them stops working, ie: no throughput. I checked, and IS allows 2 concurrent connections, and WebAfrica allows 4 connections (although I am not sure about pre-paid, anyone know for sure?).

I created 2 end-points on each PC, as per the RASPPoE instructions. Do I maybe need to create 4 end-points on each computer? Please help, it works so well, that I would hate to un-install everything, but I do need to have it working on both computers simultaneously.

ant1b0dy

CodeMaster said:
Hmmm, taking out that IP range would indeed route a lot of local traffic over the international account. I will do that as a last resort. Maybe I can install and run a local SMTP tool, which will be able to send e-mail directly, unless someone else has a suggestion of how to fix the mail relay error???

Another problem I came across last night, is that RouteSentry runs smoothly on both the PC and the laptop independently, but when R/S connects on both computers, then one of them stops working, ie: no throughput. I checked, and IS allows 2 concurrent connections, and WebAfrica allows 4 connections (although I am not sure about pre-paid, anyone know for sure?).

I created 2 end-points on each PC, as per the RASPPoE instructions. Do I maybe need to create 4 end-points on each computer? Please help, it works so well, that I would hate to un-install everything, but I do need to have it working on both computers simultaneously.
I have an openweb IS and a webafrica prepaid and I can connect fine on both of my PCs at once. Maybe you have one of these clever routers that can work in router and bridge mode at the same time and it's also establishing a connection?

I think I gave you the wrong info regarding the mail problem. If I understand correctly you're trying to send mail via the WA mail server but because it's going through IS it's being rejected? If that's the case then you can solve this problem by excluding the IP address of the outgoing server from the localroutes.dat file, thus forcing all traffic to the mail server through the WA account. If you battle with this let me know the IP address of the mail server and I'll try to help you with the correct localroute settings.

CodeMaster

Expert Member
Thanks for all the advice ant1b0dy, just a couple quick questions...

1. I have a separate router & modem (Linksys), the modem is set in 'Bridged' mode, and the router is set in 'Router' mode. What I did though, is plug the modem into one of the LAN ports, instead of the WAN port on the router. This allows the PC's to 'see' the modem, and connect to it. Since the modem is not connected to the WAN port, the router cannot establish a connection. Any other ideas? Could the setup be the problem?

2. How many end-points did you setup in RASPPoE on each PC?

3. The e-mail addresses are actually old IDWS (Altonet) accounts, from my days with ISDN, but I have never had any problems sending e-mail through the accounts with either WebAfrica of Telkom ADSL accounts, only recently with the OpenWeb IS account. I will try and figure out what the IP is for their SMTP server, and then maybe I will call on your expertise to help me with the routes. :D

Thanks again for the gr8 program and help.

ant1b0dy

CodeMaster said:
Thanks for all the advice ant1b0dy, just a couple quick questions...

1. I have a separate router & modem (Linksys), the modem is set in 'Bridged' mode, and the router is set in 'Router' mode. What I did though, is plug the modem into one of the LAN ports, instead of the WAN port on the router. This allows the PC's to 'see' the modem, and connect to it. Since the modem is not connected to the WAN port, the router cannot establish a connection. Any other ideas? Could the setup be the problem?

2. How many end-points did you setup in RASPPoE on each PC?

3. The e-mail addresses are actually old IDWS (Altonet) accounts, from my days with ISDN, but I have never had any problems sending e-mail through the accounts with either WebAfrica of Telkom ADSL accounts, only recently with the OpenWeb IS account. I will try and figure out what the IP is for their SMTP server, and then maybe I will call on your expertise to help me with the routes. :D

Thanks again for the gr8 program and help.
1. no idea, maybe somebody else has experience with your type of setup and can help?
2. 2 on each PC
3. m'kay :)

explorian

Thanks ant1b0dy for making this available! It works perfectly on the PC connected to the router, however, I am battling to get the 2nd PC (connected wirelessly - peer to peer) up and running.

I can't select the router (although it is shared) from the RASPPPOE list when creating a new dial-up account on the 2nd PC.

Also, does one perhaps get a router with this sort of functionality built-in?

Any ideas will be appreciated!

Thanks

ant1b0dy

Thanks ant1b0dy for making this available! It works perfectly on the PC connected to the router, however, I am battling to get the 2nd PC (connected wirelessly - peer to peer) up and running.

I can't select the router (although it is shared) from the RASPPPOE list when creating a new dial-up account on the 2nd PC.

Also, does one perhaps get a router with this sort of functionality built-in?

Any ideas will be appreciated!

Thanks
You might need to disconnect the first PC before it'll work. I presume the router is connected to a hub/switch?

I'm sure you get routers that allow this sort of setup - maybe you should contact the support departments of a few router suppliers and ask them. Otherwise maybe someone on the forums can help you.

explorian

Thanks for your reply!

The router is connected directly to PC1. At the moment, PC2 connects through PC1 using a wireless connection (no hub/switch). Could this be the problem? Is it best to connect the router to a hub?

Last edited:

ant1b0dy

Thanks for your reply!

The router is connected directly to PC1. At the moment, PC2 connects through PC1 using a wireless connection (no hub/switch). Could this be the problem? Is it best to connect the router to a hub?
that's the problem... connect it to the hub instead.

explorian

that's the problem... connect it to the hub instead.
Thanks ant1b0dy - I don’t have a hub, will upgrading my ADSL modem to Belkin’s 802.11g Wireless DSL/Cable Gateway Router solve this, or do I need an additional hub? (We are using Belkin Wireless Network Cards, and I understand the router in question can be run in bridged mode)

Sorry for all the questions! Not to clued up on all this… :confused:

schitz011

Expert Member
Bump :D

Thanks for making this app available. Installed and gave it a whirl today. I can now play BF2 on my local account once capped. :D

Seriously this is awesome news, thanks again so much for this app.

You rock!

LottaFun

I need something different. Knowing now that even if you browse locally, it uses your international gigs first and only once that is history it will use your local gigs, how can I prevent my users from surfing locally while we still have international gigs available? I have 5 gig international and 27 gigs local. I basically want to block local sites till the 5 gigs are history and then open the 27 gigs.