Row as surgeon students from five universities fail exam

IT_Steven

IMHO multiple choice does not make exams easier, they often become way more difficult as often you need to pick the "most correct" answer, with no marks being awarded for correct logic.
I find multiple choice questions in the format of 'select all statements that are true/false" and which only scores either full marks or 0 the most difficult. Meaning if the answer is BC and you answer B or BCD, you still get 0.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
They will integrate nicely into the new NHI system under the "authorized doctors" list.

raind33r

Expert Member
I think all doctors should have their individual exam results printed next to their degree, so we can avoid those that just scraped through ;)

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I think all doctors should have their individual exam results printed next to their degree, so we can avoid those that just scraped through ;)
I'd care more about their track record over time after that than what their exam results were a few years ago.

RedViking

Nord of the South
How the hell do 31 students get so far and then fail. 5, sure. 10, maybe. 31!!!

What was the previous year(s) failed number?

What is also very concerning is the 100% passmark at some universities......

Are these the NHI doctors that are going to (further) transform the medical industry?

Should we be worried? (more worried than now).

Reactions: McT

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Are these the NHI doctors that are going to (further) transform the medical industry?
When NHI was first mentioned and they said people could only use "approved doctors" I said just watch how many "previously disadvantaged" persons are suddenly going to qualify as doctors ....

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
I find multiple choice questions in the format of 'select all statements that are true/false" and which only scores either full marks or 0 the most difficult. Meaning if the answer is BC and you answer B or BCD, you still get 0.
Q: When removing an appendix do you:
A - Make sure the patient is anesthetised
B - Cut open the patient
C - Remove the appendix
D - Check all instruments are accounted for and close
E - Sign you name below the scare

I would hope that A, B, C and D were all performed. If you leave out any of these steps then you should get zero.

thechamp

Honorary Master
When NHI was first mentioned and they said people could only use "approved doctors" I said just watch how many "previously disadvantaged" persons are suddenly going to qualify as doctors ....
So how many "previously disadvantaged" persons are suddenly qualifying?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Q: When removing an appendix do you:
A - Make sure the patient is anesthetised
B - Cut open the patient
C - Remove the appendix
D - Check all instruments are accounted for and close
E - Sign you name below the scare

I would hope that A, B, C and D were all performed. If you leave out any of these steps then you should get zero.
Here's the step-by-step guide, go try it out: https://www.sages.org/video/step-by-step-guide-to-performing-a-laparoscopic-appendectomy-for-learners/ :p

Nick333

Honorary Master
Or the paper leaked as alleged
Except then none of the universities prepared their students properly.

Accusations of the worst possible kind when others succeed is the typical SA response.