Royalty Line 16 Pieces Marble Coating Cookware Set - Takealot

D4N_CPT

I bought a knife set off OneDayOnly and even though it was cheap, I still feel ripped off. The quality of these knives are appalling- within 2 months of LIGHT use the handles broke and the blades went blunt. Do not recommend.
Details would help all reading this?

Jonny_9

I have Bushbaby and Fireside. Not expensive. Haven't had a moment's trouble with any of them. Hand wash after use, dry and then and spray with spray n cook and chuck in the cupboard standing on a dishtowel.
Also, to respond to original post topic, albeit years later, I do have a set of Royalty Line mable? coated pots and pans. Also, no problem at all and it's been about 3 years of almost daily use. I do, however, avoid non-stick coated stuff for frying. For normal frying I use a stainless steel pan and for extreme frying I use a cast iron pan (Fireside).

airborne

Executive Member
Anyone used Berlinger Haus knives, I need a Santoku Knife and their top of the range Phantom knives looks good and not too pricey on Takealot:

Last edited:

APoc184

Honorary Master
Anyone used Berlinger Haus knives, I need a Santoku Knife and their Phantom range looks good and not too pricey on Takealot:
I have two. Santoku and Chef knive. Bought them for our camping kit because I was looking for cheapies and was never going to take my proper knives.

They obviously don't keep an edge as long and certainly not as well balanced as my Scanpan or Wusthof knives.

But they sharpen bloody quickly and easily with those pull through knife sharpeners.

So they do what they need to. And they do it well enough.

And for the price, I would definitely get another one or two.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I have two. Santoku and Chef knive. Bought them for our camping kit because I was looking for cheapies and was never going to take my proper knives.

They obviously don't keep an edge as long and certainly not as well balanced as my Scanpan or Wusthof knives.

But they sharpen bloody quickly and easily with those pull through knife sharpeners.

So they do what they need to. And they do it well enough.

And for the price, I would definitely get another one or two.
Just found this thread...somehow?

Is Berlinger House any good?..Everything just seems incredibly cheap compared to what I usually buy?

It looks pretty and shiny, but......

APoc184

Honorary Master
Just found this thread...somehow?

Is Berlinger House any good?..Everything just seems incredibly cheap compared to what I usually buy?

It looks pretty and shiny, but......
As with the knives I also have 2 of their pans.

It does not come close to my Le Crueset pans but it also doesn't cost close to them either.

Can I fry, cook and sauté in both of them? Yes and you won't be able to tell the difference.

I'm convinced they won't last as long as my more expensive cookware.
But been using them 4 to 5 times a week now for the past 2 years and I have no complaints at all apart from the handle on the one lid keeps getting loose and I need to tighten the screw every now and then.

No issue with any non stick coatings coming off at all.

Used on induction, gas and old school electric hob. No issues.

If you look after your cookware like I do they are absolutely worth it and a bargain.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Had my Berlinger set for probably close to 2 years now, still doing well, imo for the price point its really good, you arent buying a 10k pot set....

Snyper564

Expert Member
Nothing annoys me more with both ranges that they have been marked up dbl and then discounted by 50%. Everywhere they are being sold, hell even their own site...
You are not paying R1.5k for a R3k set!

even more so with their appliances

airborne

Executive Member
I got my berlinger haus knife.
Phantom range, the finest.

Considering the price of R170 on "sale" it's as superbly crp as I feared it might be.

Often with these off brand manufacturers you get decent quality just without the well known name, which is what I generally aim for when going cheap. Berlinger haus is not one of those, it's a fail on both counts, so even though it's junk I can't at least show off with my "Berlinger Haus" knife

The description on the box was done by your typical drunk Chinaman, all kinds of weird fong kong.

The blade is welded onto the handle, skew. The reason why I caved in and bought it was it looked like a knife with the blade extending through the handle as one continuous piece of metal, which is ideally what you want.

Some you win, some you don't.

Last edited:

airborne

Executive Member
After some tweaking and refinishing it's turned into a pretty decent knife. The metal grade at least seems good, relatively hard, though time will tell if it holds an edge. It has nice balance in the hand, the bones of the knife are good just the finishing leaves a lot to be desired.

Probably will steer clear of Berlinger haus knives in the future. Scanpan is most likely the next step up in quality but at around 3 times the price, what other brands can I look at, Jamie Oliver stuff also looks ok and not to pricey?

Snyper564

Expert Member
After some tweaking and refinishing it's turned into a pretty decent knife. The metal grade at least seems good, relatively hard, though time will tell if it holds an edge. It has nice balance in the hand, the bones of the knife are good just the finishing leaves a lot to be desired.

Probably will steer clear of Berlinger haus knives in the future. Scanpan is most likely the next step up in quality but at around 3 times the price, what other brands can I look at, Jamie Oliver stuff also looks ok and not to pricey?
Unfortunately, I view knives as an investment. I use wusthof and imported sharpening stones and a strop to keep their razor sharp edge.

The reality is you don't need many

Keep it simple
1 chef knife 1 Carving knife (even chef works here if you don't have it) 1 Boning and 1 paring done. you can keep the collection smaller than 5 knives.

If you want to keep it super simple just get one very good chef's knife and you pretty much sorted

airborne

Executive Member
Unfortunately, I view knives as an investment. I use wusthof and imported sharpening stones and a strop to keep their razor sharp edge.

The reality is you don't need many

Keep it simple
1 chef knife 1 Carving knife (even chef works here if you don't have it) 1 Boning and 1 paring done. you can keep the collection smaller than 5 knives.

If you want to keep it super simple just get one very good chef's knife and you pretty much sorted
I have a Wustof Chefs knife, a chefs knife takes a beating so its false economy getting a cheapie.

I've been wanting a small Santoku knife, approx 12cm, for everyday stuff and going camping with. They are easier to pack not having such a sharp tip and being so short are also easier to use in confined spaces. Not many make such a small one and I wasn't keen on having a R1000+ knife out in the bush where it may get lost or your bra decides to sharpen it on a rock or otherwise butcher it.

I find Santoku knives very versatile and easy to handle/nice balance, better than a traditional European style chefs knife. I'd like to get a decent full sized one, which are around 18cm, the Wustof version in their classic range is around R1500 if I recall correctly.

Snyper564

Expert Member
I have a Wustof Chefs knife, a chefs knife takes a beating so its false economy getting a cheapie.

I've been wanting a small Santoku knife, approx 12cm, for everyday stuff and going camping with. They are easier to pack not having such a sharp tip and being so short are also easier to use in confined spaces. Not many make such a small one and I wasn't keen on having a R1000+ knife out in the bush where it may get lost or your bra decides to sharpen it on a rock or otherwise butcher it.

I find Santoku knives very versatile and easy to handle/nice balance, better than a traditional European style chefs knife. I'd like to get a decent full sized one, which are around 18cm, the Wustof version in their classic range is around R1500 if I recall correctly.
I didn't suggest a santoku knife to scare ppl away but I also have on in my collection (love them!), its a baccarat from @home think its about R400 after the sharpening stone can shave the hairs off my arm. Its so sharp my wife doesn't want to touch it.