Running a machine on 3phase power without 3 phase installed

Bobforapples

Hi

This is my first post on this forum, and I am not sure if I have posted in the right place.
I am looking for some help/advice. I live in Durban and I have a machine that runs on three phase power, yet the premises where I want to have it installed do not have three phase power installed. I have looked into having this installed, but it seems like it is quite an expense. Is there an easier way around this? Is there anyway to convert a single phase power source into three phase, so that the machine can run ?

Thank you very much, and any ideas will be appreciated.

Dave

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Rotary phase converter is something I remember reading somewhere.

Try google it.

Bobforapples

Thank you. I have also heard about using a rotary three phase converter, but have yet to find anyone who is using one successfully.

bekdik

Honorary Master
As Astro is alluding, you probably would need to use the single phase to generate 3 phase.

AlphaBravo

Expert Member
Not easily, probably cheaper and less hassle to get three phase installed in the long run.

wetkit

Expert Member
Well, it depends largely on the kW rating of the machine.
You do get single phase to 3 phase invertors, but largest is normally around 2,2 to 3 kW.
Also then the 3 phase output of this invertor will then be 230V and not 380V as standard.
If your machine can not run on 230V 3 phase, but still inside the power limits, you can then look at a step-up transformer.
Total cost estimate would be around R10,000.

Bobforapples

Usually specified in the machine's manual or specs, or on a plate somewhere on it?
I found the following information on their website. I don't know what any of it means

Power: 50 kW according to DIN 6822, 700 mA at 70 kV, 500 mA at 100 kV, 400 mA at 125 kV

Power supply: 380 AC 50/60Hz, max. 0.3 Ω resistor network, other voltages optional

Sinbad

Honorary Master
50kW... No way you're gonna run that off a single phase supply. Max an 80A single phase feed can do is about 19kW.

wetkit

Expert Member
Jip, no way you going to get 50kW from a 230V single phase supply, sorry :(
You will have to apply to your local council for 3 phase, if you on your own site.
If it is in an industrial complex, you would have to talk to the site owner to find out the availability.

Might be cheaper just to rent a genset for when you need to power the machine.

Bobforapples

What is a genset and how much do those go for?

I have heard that having three phase installed will cost +- R30k, So before I went ahead with that, I wanted to find out if there were any cheaper alternatives.

The guy I am getting the machine from has said that I can take all the three phase cabling that runs to his premises as he will no longer have any need for it. Is this doable? Would it make things cheaper if I already have the cabling?
I appreciate all the advice. Thank you.

Jab

Expert Member
50kW... No way you're gonna run that off a single phase supply. Max an 80A single phase feed can do is about 19kW.
Ehh, no 100A/125A SP is quite common with MCCBs. Even up to 250A with MCBs is easy to find.