Running a machine on 3phase power without 3 phase installed

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Ehh, no 100A/125A SP is quite common with MCCBs. Even up to 250A with MCBs is easy to find.
Given that the OP has a single phase supply, it's likely that the supply is either 60 or 80A as that's what most municipalities do.

A 250A single phase 220V feed is good for about 55KW - so that is what would be needed here. You need 4/0 copper wire for 250A - with a core of 11.6mm diameter. I somehow doubt OP has that.

Jab

Expert Member
Given that the OP has a single phase supply, it's likely that the supply is either 60 or 80A as that's what most municipalities do.

A 250A single phase 220V feed is good for about 55KW - so that is what would be needed here. You need 4/0 copper wire for 250A - with a core of 11.6mm diameter. I somehow doubt OP has that.
A 70mm2 cable should work. It's certainly not used regularly, but is is possible and available.

Bobforapples

A 70mm2 cable should work. It's certainly not used regularly, but is is possible and available.
Thanks for all the replies, I am not exactly sure of what the last few replies have meant, can anyone summarize for me in laymen's terms what my options are?

Thank you, I appreciate the assistance.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Thanks for all the replies, I am not exactly sure of what the last few replies have meant, can anyone summarize for me in laymen's terms what my options are?

Thank you, I appreciate the assistance.
It's very unlikely though possible that your current single phase feed will run this machine. However you should really consult a qualified electrician to advise you on the best option which I suspect is going to be procuring a 3 phase supply from the municipality

Swa

Honorary Master
Can I ask what you want to use it for? 50kW is going to cost quite a bundle as well.

Zenda

Thank you. I have also heard about using a rotary three phase converter, but have yet to find anyone who is using one successfully.
By machine, we might not really know whats involved. It could be heating elements, you can use single phase, it can be motors, you can run a three phase motor from a single phase supply but will cost more and has many limits as you have got to use single -phase to 3-phase variable speed drives, so try to elaborate to get the best answers. In general IT WILL COST MUCH MORE to do a task in single phase than three phase. The cheapest alternative is to have 3-phase reticulation, its cheaper and you wont modify your machinery.

Swa

Honorary Master
He did elaborate with X-Ray machine but didn't say for what. I just hope he's observing safety.

Tonic

Well, it depends largely on the kW rating of the machine.
You do get single phase to 3 phase invertors, but largest is normally around 2,2 to 3 kW.
Also then the 3 phase output of this invertor will then be 230V and not 380V as standard.
If your machine can not run on 230V 3 phase, but still inside the power limits, you can then look at a step-up transformer.
Total cost estimate would be around R10,000.
Hi.I was actually looking for the cheapest ways that I can power my 3 phase ice maker on internet and I came across this post.With the information that I've attached,is the a way that I can use without applying for 3 phase power from Eskom?

Attachments

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Hi.I was actually looking for the cheapest ways that I can power my 3 phase ice maker on internet and I came across this post.With the information that I've attached,is the a way that I can use without applying for 3 phase power from Eskom?
That is single phase?

mister

Executive Member
South Africa has 50hz power and not 60hz

Swa

Honorary Master
Of bigger concern is that it's 220V where we have 250V.

Swa

Honorary Master
I thought the electrical sockets outlets of SA supply between 220 and 240!!
No Eskom power is 250V. May be a bit less with the problems but they don't supply under 240V because then they'd sell less.