Running a machine on 3phase power without 3 phase installed

Tacet

Expert Member

230V / 50Hz

400V is the three phase voltage, 230V is the single phase voltage.
Agreed - Swa has got the cat by the tail.

400 V phase to phase on the three phase lines (but still 230 V for each phase to earth). 230 V single phase to earth. Everything on a fairly stable 50 Hz.

@Tonic - contact the icemaker's manufacturer and ask them if it would work on 230 V 50 Hz. Chances are that it will, but you don't want to take chances. Also, I'm not sure how it could be wired for three phase when rated for single phase. Maybe more pics (and include the make and model) would be a good idea.

Tonic

Agreed - Swa has got the cat by the tail.

400 V phase to phase on the three phase lines (but still 230 V for each phase to earth). 230 V single phase to earth. Everything on a fairly stable 50 Hz.

@Tonic - contact the icemaker's manufacturer and ask them if it would work on 230 V 50 Hz. Chances are that it will, but you don't want to take chances. Also, I'm not sure how it could be wired for three phase when rated for single phase. Maybe more pics (and include the make and model) would be a good idea.
Thanks bro, I'll ask them.

Attachments

Swa

Honorary Master

230V / 50Hz

400V is the three phase voltage, 230V is the single phase voltage.
That's not entirely accurate. It's actually 220V-240V with up to 250V allowed. But utilities and municipalities will usually pick the upper end of the scale to sell more so you would get 240V and above when Eskom was still functioning correctly. Don't assume and rather expect that it will be powered by 250V.

Also 3 phase is simply 3 different power lines at 3 different phases and your normal household supply is connected to one of them.

Marthinus100

Just get a small VSD that is suitable. I use one to run a 3ph fan (0.75kw) on a single phase supply.
I use an ABB ACS355. They around R3500 with a display. Just set it up correctly.
There are other VSD manufacturers with products doing the same. Just don't use it to speed up/down the load. Set it as 50 Hz output and you should be g2g.

Tonic

Just get a small VSD that is suitable. I use one to run a 3ph fan (0.75kw) on a single phase supply.
I use an ABB ACS355. They around R3500 with a display. Just set it up correctly.
There are other VSD manufacturers with products doing the same. Just don't use it to speed up/down the load. Set it as 50 Hz output and you should be g2g.
Thanks bro, I'll look for bad manufacturers in JHB and get more info from them.thanks

P924

Expert Member
If he is going to get a VSD he should probably set it to 60Hz to match the compressor requirements...