Russian government resigns as Putin proposes reforms that could extend his grip on power

konfab

Honorary Master
Can't wait for the incoming mental gymnastics required to spin this as nothing to be concerned about. Can't. Wait.
The problem isn't term limits. Mama Merkel has been in power for almost as long as Putin, yet people here don't seem to regard that as a problem.

The problem is the fact that Russia's elections are corrupt. Changing the constitution isn't going to do anything to fix that. And even if Putin was removed because of a term limit, it would be like the ANC, where he would still be in power, just in the shadows. Like Jacob Zuma.

Here is a dirty little secret. Neither constitutions nor a democratic process are safeguards against government corruption. You take here in the People's Republic of South Africa, with "the most progressive constitution in the world", the concourt has been packed with judges that will reliably judge against individual rights. Which are the same rights that OrbitalDawn is complaining that Putin is trampling over.

AlmightyBender

Expert Member
The problem isn't term limits. Mama Merkel has been in power for almost as long as Putin, yet people here don't seem to regard that as a problem.

The problem is the fact that Russia's elections are corrupt. Changing the constitution isn't going to do anything to fix that. And even if Putin was removed because of a term limit, it would be like the ANC, where he would still be in power, just in the shadows. Like Jacob Zuma.

Here is a dirty little secret. Neither constitutions nor a democratic process are safeguards against government corruption. You take here in the People's Republic of South Africa, with "the most progressive constitution in the world", the concourt has been packed with judges that will reliably judge against individual rights. Which are the same rights that OrbitalDawn is complaining that Putin is trampling over.
Yes all fair and correct points and for analysis of my thought process on this.

If Merkel even started hinting at behaviour similar to Putin's I would evaluate her and Germany the same.

I will say that while constitutions and democracy are well correlated with good outcomes, I fully recognise they are not casual.

Edit: *causal

Last edited: