Ryobi line trimmer (RLT 350) - can the line in the spool be replaced?

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I have a RLT 350 model, came free with the lawn mower. Line is finished now so I have removed the head but it has a white plastic sheath that does not seem to be removable, click on pics attached.

The head retails for approx R60, so maybe it is just meant to be thrown and replaced? Seems like a waste to me.

On proper weed-wackers (I've owned a petrol one) you can respool quite easily, but this one confuses me.

I've googled for the manual (I've lost the original) with no luck, if anybody has it please check for me.

rlt350-bump-head.jpg

rlt350_box.jpg

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Yes it is meant to be replaced periodically. We used to do it on ours

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Maybe you have spool it without removing the inner part.

Would be daft to keep replacing the whole spool.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Thank you for the reply even though it is not what I hoped to hear. :X3:

Oh well, was worth a try. :)
Let's clear up confusion:

I assume you want to replace the spool and the spring itself (because yes those parts do suffer wear and tear)
Yeah sorry I sold it on Carbonite so the manual I don't have
But the spares are generally available, and respooling is preferable, that part works bloody hard. Mine cracked the first time around. I think I did three replacements over the period I had the machine.

As for respooling the line, well that's why you buy the packs of line at Game stores in a packet, and do it manually

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Maybe you have spool it without removing the inner part.

Would be daft to keep replacing the whole spool.
I also think its a waste to replace the whole head, but don't see how to spool the line without removing the white sheath.

Let's clear up confusion:

I assume you want to replace the spool and the spring itself (because yes those parts do suffer wear and tear)
Yeah sorry I sold it on Carbonite so the manual I don't have
But the spares are generally available, and respooling is preferable, that part works bloody hard. Mine cracked the first time around. I think I did three replacements over the period I had the machine.

As for respooling the line, well that's why you buy the packs of line at Game stores in a packet, and do it manually
Okay, yeah I must have not been clear with my OP. I want to re-spool the line, so yes I know about the line being sold in packs. I have done it before on Ryobi bush-wackers with ease. This one doesn't seem user-friendly. So that is why I am asking for advice here or even better, if somebody can scan the manual for me. :)

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
I also think its a waste to replace the whole head, but don't see how to spool the line without removing the white sheath.

Okay, yeah I must have not been clear with my OP. I want to re-spool the line, so yes I know about the line being sold in packs. I have done it before on Ryobi bush-wackers with ease. This one doesn't seem user-friendly. So that is why I am asking for advice here or even better, if somebody can scan the manual for me. :)
OK cool, its a bit of a trick that one but what I did was to remove the spool, wind the new line on, and then using one hand to hold it all in place, and then push it into the outer casing without it unwinding. It took a bit of practice unfortunately but I eventually got it down. Sometimes the easier (and wasteful way) is to let a bit of slack protrude outside the spool

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master

Flip that head over and take a pic of what it looks like inside.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
OK cool, its a bit of a trick that one but what I did was to remove the spool, wind the new line on, and then using one hand to hold it all in place, and then push it into the outer casing without it unwinding. It took a bit of practice unfortunately but I eventually got it down. Sometimes the easier (and wasteful way) is to let a bit of slack protrude outside the spool
Flip that head over and take a pic of what it looks like inside.
Thanks guys.

Will fiddle n fart tomorrow and post pics. I've packed everything up now and had a shower so just going to chill with a beer for the rest of the afternoon. :)