xrapidx

Honorary Master
Not a huge sample. But no surprise to see ABSA at the bottom.

MKFrost

Expert Member
Not surprises to see Capitec at the top.

Bare bones banking at its best without all the frills [which you end up paying for in any case].

adam_g

I still think standard bank deserve better. I really dont find them that bad.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I still think standard bank deserve better. I really dont find them that bad.
Please. All the hype about turning banking on its head recently, and it turns out to be a tablet banking app. Years behind the others. Not even a cellphone app ready yet.

adam_g

Please. All the hype about turning banking on its head recently, and it turns out to be a tablet banking app. Years behind the others. Not even a cellphone app ready yet.
Standard bank has a cellphone app for long now before fnb and absa even

wingnut771

Executive Member
As a Std Bank customer since 1988, I'm ready to give FNB a go, mainly because of the "lack" of internet banking performance since Jan 2014. It's been so bad that one can go make a cup of coffee before/if the page updates!, if the site let's you in and doesn't give you a "credentials aren't correct" error.

To be fair, the last few weeks have been fine, and things seem to be back to normal, which makes me content, and still love the fact that there are ATM's EVERYWHERE :)

During this whole saga, I was forced to investigate my "options" and found out that with FNB, I can get lounge access at the airport and road side assistance if I move over from Stb Bank.

Tempting, and am able and willing, all it will take it another episode of crappy internet banking and I'm gone.

MKFrost

Expert Member
And still one of the banks where everything takes 24 hours i.e. when I pay my card it only shows the next day, when I make a transfer then also only shows the next day. When receiving funds also only next day....

Walking into some SB branches also sometimes give you that 'blast from the past' feeling....

PS: Just for the record, my main accounts are with SB and my 'daily' account with Capitec.

wingnut771

Executive Member
And still one of the banks where everything takes 24 hours i.e. when I pay my card it only shows the next day, when I make a transfer then also only shows the next day. When receiving funds also only next day....

Walking into some SB branches also sometimes give you that 'blast from the past' feeling....

PS: Just for the record, my main accounts are with SB and my 'daily' account with Capitec.
What's the catch with Capitec?

Beri

Expert Member
They have ussd banking
Now that was a rip off. Every requests cost you 50 cent. Never told me that. Half way through the transaction it tells you there was an error and had to start over. That is your acc number? 50 cent. What do you want to do 50 sent. From what acc to what acc. 50 cent. How much 50 cent. Error please try again. And after that you still pay the fee as well.....

MKFrost

Expert Member
What's the catch with Capitec?
No catch but as stated, best bare bones banking so if you have cash and do not need all the bells and whistles then nothing beats their R5 odd a month in service fees and their interest on positive balances.

I use my SB credit card for 90% of payments/purchases and just transfer to SB card from Capitec as and when needed. Hardly ever use my Capitec card and or internet banking because of security concerns, not with Capitec specifically but in general with our banking in SA. So keeping my cash and payments sort of separate you can say.

MKFrost

Expert Member
You can draw at most retailers for R1 odd which effectively means that you have more 'ATM's' as there is a PnP, Checkcers, Shoprite etc.. around almost every corner.

Also, the fees charged by Capitec for using the ATM's of other banks is less than what other banks charge you in SASWITCH fees should you not use their ATM's. So overall it still works out cheaper if you often use ATM's from other banks.