• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

SA-Brazil undersea-cable plans on track says eFive CEO

snail

Expert Member
Only if there was enough local supply to handle all the international traffic. Hell i wonder if it wuldnt be better to build a house next to the landing station and connect directly to international cable lol.

Peon

Expert Member
And in other news, Telecoms CEO's laugh all the way to the bank as new cables triple profit margins while fooling the public on price reductions...

fragtion

Expert Member
This cable is such good news =) Hopefully our ISP's get their asses into gear and make use of proper routing

NomNom

Executive Member
“The only model that could feasibly exist [after the launch of WACS] is ‘infrastructure +’ and would depend on the appetite of the established, vertically-integrated operators for additional diversity,” argued Ramdhani.

“Rapid developments in DWDM technology mean that most cable systems are only operating at a small fraction of their latest technical capability. Combine this with the fact that future growth is constrained by the lack of national infrastructure and we can conclude that supply is already ahead of demand,” concluded Ramdhani.
:rolleyes: Telkom.. infrastructure's kryptonite.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Why another cable when the biggest problem is in national backhaul? No use opening the taps when the pipes down the line cannot handle more.

Glubbdrubb

Why another cable when the biggest problem is in national backhaul? No use opening the taps when the pipes down the line cannot handle more.
I think you got your metaphor backwards there. Our pipes are fine, it's the taps that are constricted.

If London were to be nuked by an EMP (I'm thinking of that James Bond movie) then our international back-haul would be in trouble. But this makes for a nice alternative. Remember, the internet is all about redundancy in routing.

Last edited:

Hummercellc

Expert Member
Nice lower pings to US!! Now we just need to sort out the ADSL network in SA, Come Telkom! fix it already, Telkom has enough fiber optic out there to supply, just that they are not upgrading the back end equipment.

eshwar

I have no idea what the business case was for this cable. We already have more than enough capacity on international. Also, the existing cable guys have enough headroom to upgrade because only the end point equipment is upgraded sometimes to get more capacity.

The problem is inland and seems these companies are blind to that. Of course I think building a terrestrial network is more expensive than the international underwater cable. Maintenance might be opposite though.

Also given the stiff stiff competition for adsl providers most of them will not subscribe to more than 2 cable companies for redundancy. Neotel is a huge disappointment as they have done nothing for the market.

So I don't see how prices are coming down.

ponder

Honorary Master
I have no idea what the business case was for this cable. We already have more than enough capacity on international. Also, the existing cable guys have enough headroom to upgrade because only the end point equipment is upgraded sometimes to get more capacity.
More is better, besides more capacity it also gives us more diverse routes. The more players in the market theoretically it should drive prices lower due to competition.

That said most of these cables are under utilised and not delivering on a cost perspective.

skimread

Executive Member
More is better, besides more capacity it also gives us more diverse routes. The more players in the market theoretically it should drive prices lower due to competition.

That said most of these cables are under utilised and not delivering on a cost perspective.
eFive Telecoms is just the BEE partner because otherwise the Brazilian Telecoms company cannot land their cable in South Africa.

I wouldn't trust that company. It landing in PE, EL and Durban in addition to Cape Town does not make sense. I'll wait and see what happens.

ponder

Honorary Master
eFive Telecoms is just the BEE partner because otherwise the Brazilian Telecoms company cannot land their cable in South Africa.

I wouldn't trust that company. It landing in PE, EL and Durban in addition to Cape Town does not make sense. I'll wait and see what happens.
I would say it does not really matter as they have no say in the technical & logistical issues. The investors will not compromise on this.

Allin

Expert Member
Good thing you added that word, because practically it doesn't work that way in SA