SA businesses buy Tesla Powerwalls for employees working from home

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

Thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic and the return of load-shedding in South Africa, companies are buying Tesla Powerwalls for employees to enable them to work from home without interruption.

A Tesla Powerwall is a self-contained battery and inverter system that can keep crucial appliances and other electrical devices powered in the event of a power outage or rolling blackouts implemented by Eskom.

RandomGeek

Expert Member
"As a result, they have turned to Tesla Powerwall products to ensure their employees remain connected and productive, even when the power goes out."

Let me guess - only Execs are getting these, and not the rank-and-file staff right? :)

JohnStarr

Expert Member
"As a result, they have turned to Tesla Powerwall products to ensure their employees remain connected and productive, even when the power goes out."

Let me guess - only Execs are getting these, and not the rank-and-file staff right? :)
Come on, the execs make the decisions. It's surely not up to the peons below them who actually do the graft to help keep the company going! ;-)

RandomGeek

Expert Member
Come on, the execs make the decisions. It's surely not up to the peons below them who actually do the graft to help keep the company going! ;-)
Let us take a para-statal:
  1. Buy each Director and CxO a PowerWall using company funds
  2. Next month, Directors and CxOs get kicked out
  3. They keep PowerWalls due to lack of claw-back agreements
  4. Profit
How is my thought process - accurate?

neoprema

Expert Member
"Companies are using tax money from PPE Tenderpreneurships to buy Tesla Powerwalls..." :ROFL:

JohnStarr

Expert Member
Let us take a para-statal:
  1. Buy each Director and CxO a PowerWall using company funds
  2. Next month, Directors and CxOs get kicked out
  3. They keep PowerWalls due to lack of claw-back agreements
  4. Profit
How is my thought process - accurate?
Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I should've actually put that in.
Execs sit at the top and pretty much, for the most part, don't have a clue what happens below them. But reap the rewards of everyone else's hard work below them.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Seriously, this has to be the most retarded advertorial I've seen in a long time.

A company is going to spend R150k to keep an employee online for 2 or 4 hours, when they can achieve the same thing for considerably less if they wanted to fund it (or like most companies they make it the employees problem to solve)

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I should've actually put that in.
Execs sit at the top and pretty much, for the most part, don't have a clue what happens below them. But reap the rewards of everyone else's hard work below them.
At some point they would have been grunts too. Nobody just gets put at the top unless you have government connections...

JohnStarr

Expert Member

Thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic and the return of load-shedding in South Africa, companies are buying Tesla Powerwalls for employees to enable them to work from home without interruption.

A Tesla Powerwall is a self-contained battery and inverter system that can keep crucial appliances and other electrical devices powered in the event of a power outage or rolling blackouts implemented by Eskom.
Sorry, which companies? How many employees?

Johand

Expert Member
Might just be a tax thing companies and employees take advantage of. A power wall will be much more affordable if you can structure it in a way to pay with pretax money! "No bonus - but here is a powerwall type thing."

system32

Expert Member
I work for cheapskates...
We only got
1611755317982.png
and 20Mbps fibre.
UPS is enough to keep Laptop + 21" screen + Fibre + WiFi AP's + Switch going for over 4 hours.

Just joking, actually, I'm grateful to still have a job in this f***k economy