SA businesses buy Tesla Powerwalls for employees working from home

Lupus

Honorary Master
I had to make my own plan, hence why I've got 2 generators and the inverter, luckily have the generators as the battery stopped working

AntiThesis

Executive Member
My company spends money like water and I'm definitely not getting a powerwall from them anytime soon...

SilverCode

Sorry, which companies? How many employees?
Rubicon Renewables: Lots of companies are buying Tesla Power Walls for their staff to keep them going in load shedding

Us: What Companies exactly?

Rubicon Renewables: You know ... companies ...

Us: Yes, but which ones?

Rubicon Renewables: Lots of them

Us: ...

Rubicon Renewables: Look, we can't give you names, because if we did then you might ask that company if they installed Tesla Power Walls for their staff, and then they would say that no they did not and then we would have to admit we were lying or greatly overexagerating to try pull the wool over peoples eyes and stir up some sales.

Us: So ... what ... one guy who runs his own business and works from home bought a Tesla Power Wall from your guys for his house and paid for it through the business?

Rubicon Renewables: Basically yes .... companies

JohnStarr

Expert Member
Rubicon Renewables: Lots of companies are buying Tesla Power Walls for their staff to keep them going in load shedding

Us: What Companies exactly?

Rubicon Renewables: You know ... companies ...

Us: Yes, but which ones?

Rubicon Renewables: Lots of them

Us: ...

Rubicon Renewables: Look, we can't give you names, because if we did then you might ask that company if they installed Tesla Power Walls for their staff, and then they would say that no they did not and then we would have to admit we were lying or greatly overexagerating to try pull the wool over peoples eyes and stir up some sales.

Us: So ... what ... one guy who runs his own business and works from home bought a Tesla Power Wall from your guys for his house and paid for it through the business?

Rubicon Renewables: Basically yes .... companies
4viswh.jpg

Petec

Expert Member
But what about the Cell towers (Wi-Fi) and the fibre nodes also going down during loadshedding?
A powerwall is cool and all, but for work-from-home, it's useless when you have the lekker "Connected - No Internet Access" message on your Internet & Network Settings.

eg2505

Honorary Master
maybe paying people in expensive battery banks is cheaper in the long term then giving people increases or bonuses.

what next? because you work from home you get a new Idiot-phone 12?
or because you work from home, here a new Laptop.

maybe its a clever way of getting round the Taxes?
not the first time its been done,

B-1

Expert Member
But what about the Cell towers (Wi-Fi) and the fibre nodes also going down during loadshedding?
A powerwall is cool and all, but for work-from-home, it's useless when you have the lekker "Connected - No Internet Access" message on your Internet & Network Settings.

My area functions perfectly fine through a day without power. Fibre and mobile networks all stay up.

Petec

Expert Member
My area functions perfectly fine through a day without power. Fibre and mobile networks all stay up.
Lucky bugger. In our area, everything dies. The call center peeps working from home, are stuffed when the power goes down.

B-1

Expert Member
Lucky bugger. In our area, everything dies. The call center peeps working from home, are stuffed when the power goes down.

That sucks, it would seriously mess with my work if that happened as between cables being stolen, substations catching fire and load shedding I would be down a lot.

randomcat

I got a feeling that they are state owned companies. No well run company will agree to this.

Apogee

Just great.

A close relative's employer do not even allow them to charge their phones at the office, even though this is their main point of contact with prospective clients, and they have to take their own printers to the office to print out contracts.

Guess what else they have to supply themselves for the bathrooms?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Just great.

A close relative's employer do not even allow them to charge their phones at the office, even though this is their main point of contact with prospective clients, and they have to take their own printers to the office to print out contracts.

Guess what else they have to supply themselves for the bathrooms?
But our labour laws should be relaxed and organized labour banned, just to make sure there's nothing hindering further exploitation.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Might just be a tax thing companies and employees take advantage of. A power wall will be much more affordable if you can structure it in a way to pay with pretax money! "No bonus - but here is a powerwall type thing."

Yea I do believe there is a tax incentive for companies supporting employees working from home.

And 150k is hardly a 13th cheque to some people, so in the bigger picture probably not even a major operational expense.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Yea I do believe there is a tax incentive for companies supporting employees working from home.

And 150k is hardly a 13th cheque to some people, so in the bigger picture probably not even a major operational expense.
As much as everyone is going on about executives, I'm sure it's also more focused on people who support business critical systems.

150k on a few people is a small sacrifice compared to potentially losing millions should a critical system go down...

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Overspend much?

Simple inverter + 2x Solar panels and 4x 100 AH batteries for about 15K would do the same job, if not better than just a 150K powerwall.

Well unless you running factory equipment at home that is :D

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
every month we get a takealot voucher for tasks completed, so i asked if i can get a powerwall instead of a voucher this month.
i'll keep everyone posted.