SA businesses buy Tesla Powerwalls for employees working from home

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
As much as everyone is going on about executives, I'm sure it's also more focused on people who support business critical systems.

150k on a few people is a small sacrifice compared to potentially losing millions should a critical system go down...

No question, but any vaguely competent procurement department will be able to look at that cost and solution and also be able to get something for considerably less money that does the same thing, if not better.

Veneficus

No question, but any vaguely competent procurement department will be able to look at that cost and solution and also be able to get something for considerably less money that does the same thing, if not better.
Nothing wrong with the powerwall or its price
It is very decent product especially since its price drop

It is listed to be safely able to provide 13.5 kWh of usable power at 5kW use

And this with small space requirements

Can you get same amount of power for cheaper price?
Off course you can it will generally either make more noise like generator and so forth
Or come in larger packaging like lead acid batteries with inverter/charger

Or need full setup like individual lithium battery packs and inverter charger modules

So nothing wrong with its price for what it offers

But that amount of power does not make sense to keep n laptop or PC and connection running for 4 or 5 hours

Last edited:

TheChamp

Honorary Master

Nothing wrong with the powerwall or its price
It is very decent product escpecually since its price drop

It is listed to be safely able to provide 13.5 kWh of usable power at 5kW use

And this with small space requirements

Can you get same amount of power for cheaper price?
Off course you can it will generally either make more noise like generator and so forth
Or come in larger packaging like lead acid batteries with inverter/charger

Or need full setup like individual lithium battery packs and inverter charger modules

So nothing wrong with its price for what it offers

But that amount of power does not make sense to keep n laptop or PC and connection running for 4 or 5 hours
Does the Powerwall not need any installation and setup? How do you use it, with an extension?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
You can easily get a cheap DIY solution, but who do you hold liable when it breaks.

The Powerwall is an off the shelf solution from one of the biggest names in the world...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
You can easily get a cheap DIY solution, but who do you hold liable when it breaks.

The Powerwall is an off the shelf solution from one of the biggest names in the world...

I'm not suggesting a DIY solution, there are many "off-the-shelf" solutions from companies that will achieve exactly the same as the Powerwall available in this country that will be considerably cheaper.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Overspend much?

Simple inverter + 2x Solar panels and 4x 100 AH batteries for about 15K would do the same job, if not better than just a 150K powerwall.

Well unless you running factory equipment at home that is :D
Can't boil a kettle with that.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I had to make my own plan, hence why I've got 2 generators and the inverter, luckily have the generators as the battery stopped working
I've got batteries and generators but it doesn't help when the backup power in the towers and dslams don't last an hour.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I've got batteries and generators but it doesn't help when the backup power in the towers and dslams don't last an hour.
True, lucky mine seems to last an extraordinary long time. I've had no power in my area for 17 hours and still had internet.

Veneficus

I'm not suggesting a DIY solution, there are many "off-the-shelf" solutions from companies that will achieve exactly the same as the Powerwall available in this country that will be considerably cheaper.
You can get a usable 2.2kWh lithium ion pack for R18,400 or so
Without inverter unit
So to get close to the 13.5kWh you would need 6
That is R110k and you do not have storage unit to put it in or a Charger or inverter and it need full assembly and wiring
Where the Tesla unit can probably be installed by any decent electrician

But this is for lithium ion battery systems which costs allot because they are small
Old lead acid batteries are cheaper

But yes you can for much much cheaper buy a small generator and run extension cable any time there is a power outage

Hey wait you can save even more and buy couple of candles and a few matches
That is cheaper than spending all that money on a generator too :p

There is lots of cheaper possibilities
All with certain advantages like lower price but other factors applies

The Powerwall is relatively easy with minimal further costs but it is not cheap
But no one forces people to buy it

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Without inverter unit
That is R110k and you do not have storage unit to put it in or a Charger or inverter and it need full assembly and wiring

But this is for lithium ion battery systems which costs allot because they are small

But yes you can for much much cheaper buy a small generator and run extension cable any time there is a power outage

Looks like you are slightly out of touch with things, prices have gone down and there are plenty options that are much cheaper.

Martin 007

Fake news or tell us which companies ... a laptop uses 19 watts so a deep cycle battery will work well with a 300 watt inverter.

johnjm

Expert Member
How bad is this headline? Taking a few instances for top execs and implying it has been don’t forget the masses.

Pathetic

Veneficus

Looks like you are slightly out of touch with things, prices have gone down and there are plenty options that are much cheaper.
Maybe learning to read
I stated
"There is lots of cheaper possibilities
All with certain advantages like lower price but other factors applies"

Go for lead acid batteries that has same capacity and price is allot lower
But your storage area need to be 4 or 5 times the size for similar capacity

Go for proper backup Generator and you can cut this down as well

I personally would not use the Tesla either
But for what it offers its price is not that massively high

richjdavies

Expert Member
Ironically... At least the earlier versions of the powerwall were no good as UPSs as they had 2 second changeovers - rather than millsecond as it should be.
But they are pretty.

As others have said theres a hundreds of companies selling Lithium UPS that are cheaper (and possibly even better) than Tesla.
Just look at sinetech, geewizz, sustainablecoza theres lots of lithium plugins or installs nowdays

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Without inverter unit

Your maths is wrong.

4 of these has the same usable capacity of the powerwall:
Total R73960

So you have R70K to spend on an inverter.